Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-11: Houston, We've had a Facelift!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2010-11: Houston, We've had a Facelift!

Last year, I don't know if you could call it a slump, though. We seemed to be good, bad, good, bad, good, bad. I think the big thing for this year to work on is consistency. Let's just hope that doesn't mean consistently s***.

Comment

Just a reminder.

In honor of Bryan Brutlag, today is 1 October 2010. There are 4 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October for the start of next season.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

WaP's preview http://www.withoutapeer.com/2010/10/...uinnipiac.html of QU is up.
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 10-01-2010, 01:17 PM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Just a reminder.

In honor of Bryan Brutlag, today is 1 October 2010. There are 4 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 5 October for the start of next season.
          Deja vu all over again I I Have have been been seeing seeing double double all all day day today today
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
            I can see a 5-1 record before Lake Placid OR 3-3, with Bentley & Niagra being the spoilers. I've only been following RPI hockey for 5yrs (6 this yr) & it's easily noticeable how we tend to play down to the competition. Hopefully this yr. will be different. I sense a lot of external incentives for this team; the push for Chase, multiple NHL scouts at games, doing it w/o JD'A & BP. I can also attest to the leadership of JFK & "Brut" they showed while practice was open at the Knick. I was winded just watching! Watching even K-Mac, Murley, Cavosie, Eisenman bent over,hands on knees along with the current team after a grueling drill & the Capt. pushing them to the next drill. I believe anything short of AC will be considered a losing season for this group of players.
            Thanks again for those "camp" reports Turk. If the Niagara game is anything short of a thorough arse whuppin' by the Engineers, I will be very disappointed. I witnessed the NU debacle out at their place last season and it was a miserable experience all the way around. I sincerely hope the boys are ready to return the favor in our barn.
            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

I'd like to be optimistic, but I just can't see RPI going 5-1 through this set of opponents.
              I'm not into predictions, but if they can manage a split at CC, 5-1 is within reason.
              Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 10-01-2010, 02:10 PM.
              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

I would note one final time for the new thread and for the record, that UNB is gonna be a handful. Their roster has something like 16 kids who are 6'0 200 or bigger...and nearly that many are 22-23+ yrs. old. Its only an exhibition, but the boys best have their chinstraps tightened.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
                  I would note one final time for the new thread and for the record, that UNB is gonna be a handful. Their roster has something like 16 kids who are 6'0 200 or bigger...and nearly that many are 22-23+ yrs. old. Its only an exhibition, but the boys best have their chinstraps tightened.
                  I saw the sizes on their roster also. This is a mature, big, tough team. Years ago we faced Canadian teams like this. It was always a struggle (see Toronto in the Xmas Tourney of 1984). This is a good test and a slam bang way to start the schedule. This team has already played a few games (they are 5-0) and is obviously ready. I am not worried about the score-just want to avoid any early season injuries.
                  Last edited by DrDemento; 10-01-2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Has anyone used B2 yet this year (for football as an example)? If so, has it improved at all from last season. I am wondering if it is worth paying for, especially after seeing the quality that RPI-TV could produce directly.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Has anyone used B2 yet this year (for football as an example)? If so, has it improved at all from last season. I am wondering if it is worth paying for, especially after seeing the quality that RPI-TV could produce directly.
                      I was thinking of using it possible tomorrow for the football game. I have been so disgusted with their coverage in the past though that I am just not sure of trying it again.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        I saw the sizes on their roster also. This is a mature, big, tough team. Years ago we faced Canadian teams like this. It was always a struggle (see Toronto in the Xmas Tourney of 1984). This is a good test and a slam bang way to start the schedule. This team has already played a few games (they are 5-0) and is obviously ready. I am not worried about the score-just want to avoid any early season injuries.
                        It is interesting you mention that Toronto team. After the early 1960's, UNB was not a national contender again until 1983-84. That season UNB, then known as the Red Devils, played UofT in the CIAU (now CIS) regional championship, a two-game format played in Fredericton. UNB gave everything they had, made it close, but lost the first game, and had nothing in the next game. The Mike Keenan coached Varsity Blues then advanced to an easy victory at the University Cup. That Toronto team was a very good team.

UNB then wasn't back at Nationals again until 1997, where they won the silver. They won their first championship the next year, and have been a perennial national contender ever since, winning the University Cup again in 2007 and 2009.
                        "The great aim of education is not knowledge, but action." -- Herbert Spencer

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
                          It is interesting you mention that Toronto team. After the early 1960's, UNB was not a national contender again until 1983-84. That season UNB, then known as the Red Devils, played UofT in the CIAU (now CIS) regional championship, a two-game format played in Fredericton. UNB gave everything they had, made it close, but lost the first game, and had nothing in the next game. The Mike Keenan coached Varsity Blues then advanced to an easy victory at the University Cup. That Toronto team was a very good team.

UNB then wasn't back at Nationals again until 1997, where they won the silver. They won their first championship the next year, and have been a perennial national contender ever since, winning the University Cup again in 2007 and 2009.
                          I just looked at my program for the 1984 Holiday Tourney. That was the 84-85 season, and Keenan was no longer coaching Toronto. As DrD said, Toronto gave RPI fits, outshooting the Oates-Carter-Servinis... team. The game was tied 2-2 until late in the second period.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            If it is any consolation, UNB is a pretty disciplined team, and each year is one of the least penalized teams in their conference.

UNB plays a puck possession / puck pursuit game. About the only time they dump the puck in might be on a line change. The defence loves to jump in on the rush, and sometimes can be badly out of position if the puck gets turned over in the neutral zone. The D is not overly physical, but #3 Jonathan Harty will go out of his way to make an open ice hit, which creates lots of room if he misses his guy. They are one of the quickest CIS teams, which probably makes them comparable to a Div I team with just average speed.

#7 Hunter Tremblay was the CIS MVP (Canadian version of Hobey Baker) last season - a gritty skilled forward who is fun to watch (but not good enough for the NHL ...). #10 Daine Todd is a slippery forward; #9 Dion Campbell is a powerful drive-the-net player (and a Junior A player from Saskatchewan who somehow couldn't get a NCAA scholarship). #19 Jordan Clendenning is a bull in a china shop coming off two knee surgeries #32 captain Kyle Bailey is the hardest worker on the team and finally #4 Luke Gallant is arguably the best d-man in the CIS this season (and once played with Sidney Crosby for Team Nova Scotia at the Canada Winter Games ...)

Comment

I just looked at my program for the 1984 Holiday Tourney. That was the 84-85 season, and Keenan was no longer coaching Toronto. As DrD said, Toronto gave RPI fits, outshooting the Oates-Carter-Servinis... team. The game was tied 2-2 until late in the second period.
                              UNB played two exhibition games against that 1984-85 Toronto team, coached by Tom Watts. Lost 5-4 and 8-3. Yea, they were good.

Toronto really declined after that, and became a so-so to bad team in a soft division in a weak conference. UNB didn't play them again until an exhibition game last December -- Toronto was completely outclassed in losing 5-1, although they did work hard.

I'm afraid that this weekend Toronto might lose by double digits to BC and BU.

Comment

Originally posted by FreddyFoyle View Post
                                If it is any consolation, UNB is a pretty disciplined team, and each year is one of the least penalized teams in their conference.

UNB plays a puck possession / puck pursuit game. About the only time they dump the puck in might be on a line change. The defence loves to jump in on the rush, and sometimes can be badly out of position if the puck gets turned over in the neutral zone. The D is not overly physical, but #3 Jonathan Harty will go out of his way to make an open ice hit, which creates lots of room if he misses his guy. They are one of the quickest CIS teams, which probably makes them comparable to a Div I team with just average speed.

#7 Hunter Tremblay was the CIS MVP (Canadian version of Hobey Baker) last season - a gritty skilled forward who is fun to watch (but not good enough for the NHL ...). #10 Daine Todd is a slippery forward; #9 Dion Campbell is a powerful drive-the-net player (and a Junior A player from Saskatchewan who somehow couldn't get a NCAA scholarship). #19 Jordan Clendenning is a bull in a china shop coming off two knee surgeries #32 captain Kyle Bailey is the hardest worker on the team and finally #4 Luke Gallant is arguably the best d-man in the CIS this season (and once played with Sidney Crosby for Team Nova Scotia at the Canada Winter Games ...)
                                Thanks for the info on the Devils...err rr...Varsity. Will you be making the trip? Sounds like it should be a fun game as RPI plays a similar up tempo style, with the D looking to jump into the mix on offense. While they'll be in the middle of long road trip, UNB will have a bit of an advantage in having some games under their belts.

Question: What are the academic demands on players from UNB and similar schools?...i.e. are their limits as to who they can enroll academically or will the school give the coach pretty loose reigns?
                                Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 10-01-2010, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X