Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-11: Houston, We've had a Facelift!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-11: Houston, We've had a Facelift!

Agreed. Mid-way thru 2nd to mid-way thru 3rd the boys were flying and UNB could not stay with them. I'll take that as a positive but when you're already down by 3 that's not going to get it done.This was NB's 8th game remember so I'm assuming they started practices w/coaching staff in early Sept. That said, they were an impressive team...fast, tape to tape passing, always seemed to know where the outlet pass should go, defintely not a clutch & grab team. Again, their 8th game, our 1st, after what...2 days of coaches on the ice for practice. Wish we had a week to practice before CC not 2 days. Only 2 players to not dress were Smith and Tinordi with 24 dressed for game...were they hurt? One thing I was pleased to see was how many shots came from our D-men. Way too many turnovers though. Did not like the D pairing of Koudys/Beef...although I only recall seeing it for 1 shift, "you take it, I thought you had it". This team will gel. By the way there were at least 3 scouts behind me, Sect 17...1 I recognized as a Toronto scout whom I talked with while in Lake Placid
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Bad form on the part of the RPI hockey community not to have a moment of silence for Dale at their first game. Hopefully they will correct this at their ECAC home opener. Thanks for reminding everyone of Mr DeFillips. His photos in the Record were always my favorite when I was a child.

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
        I think Bailen had 4 or 5 shots on net. He has a knack for getting the puck thru traffic.
        Bailen w/4 SOG...Foss 3...Bergin 4 (just noting # of shots from D)
        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by brinkworth View Post
          Bad form on the part of the RPI hockey community not to have a moment of silence for Dale at their first game. Hopefully they will correct this at their ECAC home opener. Thanks for reminding everyone of Mr DeFillips. His photos in the Record were always my favorite when I was a child.
          Technically this was not the home opener. I would assume it would be done at the Bentley game. A moment of silence was offered in memory of Nate Marsters prior to the UNH game, which was RPI's home opener last year, although an exhibition was played against UPEI that year.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            Technically this was not the home opener. I would assume it would be done at the Bentley game. A moment of silence was offered in memory of Nate Marsters prior to the UNH game, which was RPI's home opener last year, although an exhibition was played against UPEI that year.
            I do hope that there is a moment of silence for Dale Watson. What he and his classmates accomplished after the disaster of 1966 in saving RPI hockey is most noteworthy. I assume that with Richard Scammell still at RPI, something will occur.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              I do hope that there is a moment of silence for Dale Watson. What he and his classmates accomplished after the disaster of 1966 in saving RPI hockey is most noteworthy. I assume that with Richard Scammell still at RPI, something will occur.
              I sure hope so also. For those of us who are old enough to remember the excitement of watching him and the rapid improvement of the team in general. He certainly helped bring back the spirit in the old HFH.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by pensfan08 View Post
                And on another note, for those of us that were at the game lets thank FlagDude for participating in the first intermission entertainment, he just needs to remember which goal to aim for .
                FD08 that was you. I was hoping that you were going to throw down with the other guy.
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                  FD08 that was you. I was hoping that you were going to throw down with the other guy.
                  Dare I ask what that was about?
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    Dare I ask what that was about?
                    The on-ice entertainment during the first intermission was FD08 and his friend. The contest was to put on a jersey, gloves, and pick up a stick, then take a puck back towards the starting goal (East end) and score. FD08 kept going towards the West end and missed well wide anyways. After his friend scored on the East goal, they tapped gloves, but it almost looked like they were about to fight. Their level of enthusiasm was about as intense as the students / fans throughout the crowd.
                    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      After one exhibition game, it would appear(as it does most years) that we are going to go only as far as our defense and power play will take us this year. If our defense makes the kind of mistakes they made 3 times last night, and if our power play can only score once on 9 attempts (and not at all with a long 5 on 3), it is going to be a fairly difficult season.
                      Let's not beat this to death, Doc. There were some lapses, but UNB looked like a great team in game shape that was fast enough to beat the pants off any NCAA team on the east coast (well, right now, at least... I'm sure some of the better HEA teams could win if they were also in game shape).
                      Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      This was not the same team that we will see on opening night of the ECAC regular season.
                      Very true.

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      I thought that they played UNB pretty even after the first five minutes of the second period, and outplayed them through the last half of the second thru the first half of the third periods.
                      When we got rolling late in the second, UNB could only take penalties, because they could not keep up.
                      Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                      Agreed. Mid-way thru 2nd to mid-way thru 3rd the boys were flying and UNB could not stay with them.
                      Yes, but 10 minutes does not a full game make. Not only do the Engineers have to worry about consistency from game to game, but also within the same game. A full effort is going to be necessary to win our games, especially against our upcoming WCHA opponent.
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Only caught the third period on the B2 cartel, but one thought that stood out to me ... Much more impressed with Koudys than Dolan. Dolan really did not seem to offer much at all last night to me and did not look to effective at rushing the puck. Not a good sign at all for an undersized defenseman.

Comment

Here's what I would throw out as a guess for lines on Friday:

Polacek - Lee - Helfrich
                          AAG - Malchuk - Brutlag
                          Rogic - Halpern - Cullen
                          Rabbani - Burgdoerfer - O'Grady

Bailen - Kennedy
                          Bergin - Koudys
                          Foss - LeBoeuf

York

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post

Polacek - Lee - Helfrich
                            AAG - Malchuk - Brutlag
                            Rogic - Halpern - Cullen

Bailen - Kennedy
                            Bergin - Koudys
                            Foss - LeBoeuf

York
                            I agree that Dolan appears to be the odd man out on D. It looks like you are sitting Beauregard, Higgs, Smith, and Tinordi. I am surprised that Tinordi was not in the lineup yesterday.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                              Let's not beat this to death, Doc. There were some lapses, but UNB looked like a great team in game shape that was fast enough to beat the pants off any NCAA team on the east coast (well, right now, at least... I'm sure some of the better HEA teams could win if they were also in game shape).
                              Burgie-Just pointing out something obvious. Our power play and especially when given a 2 man advantage just has to be better. Our opponents seem to murder us when we are 2 men down. This is nothing new-I have mentioned this for the past few years. This is not a matter of talent and it is not the players. (IMO) This can be rectified but it has to be done by the coaches and addressed. This is a long season and much of it will be spent on special teams. We could be a very good team this year-but that is one aspect that could come back to haunt us all year if we don't work at it. This is nothing new-it has been a problem for us for at least 4 or 5 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post

Polacek - Lee - Helfrich
                                AAG - Malchuk - Brutlag
                                Rogic - Halpern - Cullen

Bailen - Kennedy
                                Bergin - Koudys
                                Foss - LeBoeuf

York
                                Looks about right-would like to see Tinordi in there somewhere though. Hope he is not hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                X