Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would an NHL franchise in Wisconsin effect the Badgers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would an NHL franchise in Wisconsin effect the Badgers?

How do you guys think that an NHL franchise in Milwaukee/Madison would effect the Badgers? Do you think that they would still draw 15,000+ people for the games or do you think attendance would decline because people would instead choose to attend the NHL games?
    Personally, it annoys me that we dont have an NHL franchise, but quite a few people have told me that if Wisconsin had an NHL franchise that Badger hockey wouldnt be as popular as it is.
    Personally, I disagree with those people but Id love to hear what the group thinks about it.
    Last edited by GoBucky36; 09-30-2010, 07:31 PM.
    A Badger living in Buckeye country.
    Originally posted by MadCityRich
    He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
    Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
    Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
    "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Re: How would an NHL franchise in Wisconsin effect the Badgers?

As a resident of WI all my life I seriously doubt that WI could support an NHL franchise. They had their chance when the Bradley Center was new and even flirted with the idea by hosting a few NHL preseason games. However Lloyd wouldn't pony up the money for an expansion fee and I don't think either Milwaukee or Madison has enough disposible income to support the price of NHL tickets. If SE WI loved hockey enough to carry an NHL franchise, the Admirals would be packing the house for every game. But even at $10 a ticket, they can't fill even the lower bowl on weekends. Jack the ticket prices to 4-5 times that amount and you'll see even fewer folks in the stands. Maybe you could draw some Northside Chicago folks who make Chicago money, but now the 'Hawks are a hot ticket again so everyone wants back on their bandwagon.

As far as Madison goes, they made several runs at minor league hockey with limited success. Any addition of pro hockey in WI would have no affect on Bucky Puck. The Badgers hockey program will always have a solid following because the of the 10s of thousands of local alumni and the ticket prices are reasonable compared to other sporting teams in the immediate area.

As much as I would love to have an NHL franchise in Brew City - It isn't going to happen. Heck look at how hard Mr Blackberry is trying to get a team. He's trying to put them in hockey starved Hamilton, ONT who would easily snatch up 20,000+ season tickets and the NHL still says no.

Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

It doesn't seem to hurt teams to much. Minnesota seems to be doing fine with it. The majority of HE schools are within an easy driving distance of the Garden and don't seem to be hurt by the Bruins.

Comment

I would love to see a WI NHL franchise, give the Wild a true rival, but its the other way around; the WI NHL franchise wouldn't hurt the Badgers ticket sales, Badger hockey would hurt the NHL franchise's ticket sales.
        tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
          I would love to see a WI NHL franchise, give the Wild a true rival, but its the other way around; the WI NHL franchise wouldn't hurt the Badgers ticket sales, Badger hockey would hurt the NHL franchise's ticket sales.
          Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
          It doesn't seem to hurt teams to much. Minnesota seems to be doing fine with it. The majority of HE schools are within an easy driving distance of the Garden and don't seem to be hurt by the Bruins.
          I don't live in the States so I could be wrong, but it seems to me that we are talking two different fan bases. Meaning that college hockey fans are not necessarily NHL fans and vice versa. Certainly there is some cross over, but my impression is that for the most part the two are mutually exclusive. However, I do stand to be corrected.
          Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
          2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

I think that even the Russians on the hypothetical NHL team would come to understand and be able to speak English, which is apparently more than the Wisco fans cans do.
            Some say that if you're not taking flak, you're not over the target.

I just wonder why the goal seems to be taking flak.

Comment

Originally posted by nanotiger View Post
              I think that even the Russians on the hypothetical NHL team would come to understand and be able to speak English, which is apparently more than the Wisco fans cans do.
              What the hell...are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierBBall_GopherHockey View Post
                What the hell...are you talking about?
                He has 25 posts and has wracked up maximum neg rep. Nuff said?
                Let's go Cats!!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Shouldn't WI be aiming for a pro basketball/football/baseball team first? The NHL is considered the 4th major sports league for a reason.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    Shouldn't WI be aiming for a pro basketball/football/baseball team first? The NHL is considered the 4th major sports league for a reason.
                    But they already.....oh wait I see what you did there.
                    Let's go Cats!!!

Comment

Well clearly the Brewers are a AAA team as is the rest of the NL. As for the Bucks, well, even though I am not a Timberwolves fan, being guilty by association for growing up in Minnesota, I cannot talk s*** about another NBA team.

Comment

Well clearly the Brewers are a AAA team as is the rest of the NL.
                        I've never been tempted to put a quote by someone else in my sig, but after the Phillies win the World Series in 5 games, I will be sure and put this in there.
                        Let's go Cats!!!

Comment

Well clearly the Brewers are a AAA team as is the rest of the NL. As for the Bucks, well, even though I am not a Timberwolves fan, being guilty by association for growing up in Minnesota, I cannot talk s*** about another NBA team.
                          Where are the Timberwolves from? Maine? Washington?

Edit: gounh: you do realize that Tampa Bay won a Super Bowl. Tampa. Bay. Just a little perspective.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Where are the Timberwolves from? Maine? Washington?

Edit: gounh: you do realize that Tampa Bay won a Super Bowl. Tampa. Bay. Just a little perspective.
                            Well the AAA teams have won 4 of the last 10 World Series, including the Marlins. I say that again, the Marlins, and I believe they beat the Yankees.
                            Let's go Cats!!!

Comment

This is absolute proof that the Lions are, indeed, a cursed franchise.

Comment

Working...
                              X