X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

Originally posted by MaineMan View Post
    Not sure if anyone posted this yet but I thought this was an interesting quote from Tim Whitehead about the goaltending situation.

"Dave Alexander, our goalie coach, has done a fabulous job helping these young goalies gain some confidence and improve technically and move forward each week. Dan Sullivan has taken the front spot for now, but Shawn Sirman, who is vastly improved over last year, is pushing him. Martin Ouellette, who might be the most talented of the three, is the youngest and he is going to start challenging for ice time. What is exciting for us is that what was a weakness last year has really become a strength now. It is going to be a long season so I am sure that there will be some ups and downs with the goaltending. We are pleased with their attitude and focus. Their work ethic has been tremendous, improving each weekend. It’s not an accident; they are working hard to get better.”
    -Tim Whitehead 10/16/10
    Thanks for the UPDATE.

Comment

Interesting Fan Feedback piece on the BDN. I actually think I know who this guy is...but there's nothing Earth shattering in there. Plus, he must not know about the RFP that was put out earlier this fall to address both seating and sound (but granted, not the sightlines) among other things.
      You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
      ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
      ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
      ...you hate UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by Maineiak View Post
        Interesting Fan Feedback piece on the BDN. I actually think I know who this guy is...but there's nothing Earth shattering in there. Plus, he must not know about the RFP that was put out earlier this fall to address both seating and sound (but granted, not the sightlines) among other things.
        I read it earlier, while I agree that certain seats suck, saying we should look at Agganis for a blueprint is lacking in common sense. Agganis cost 150 million, the U can't afford a new toilet seat let alone the cost for the updates coming next summer. Thankfully Alfond can and is willing to donate the few million it takes for new ice, boards etc.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          I read it earlier, while I agree that certain seats suck, saying we should look at Agganis for a blueprint is lacking in common sense. Agganis cost 150 million, the U can't afford a new toilet seat let alone the cost for the updates coming next summer. Thankfully Alfond can and is willing to donate the few million it takes for new ice, boards etc.
          And aren't our seats some of the cheapest in the league? I think I just saw a single-game Merrimack ticket costs close to $30!
          You know you go to UMaine if...

...you think Bananas is a good name for a giant bear.
          ...you would riot after hockey games but its too darn cold.
          ...you think hockey is the only sport that matters.
          ...you hate UNH.

Comment

If the Alfond every lost its barn-ness or the awesome acoustics of its roof, I'd weep.
            Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Maine's defense gives goal tending a big boost. Today's article by Larry.

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2010/...allenge-vs-bc/

Comment

That was absolutely miserable to watch. BC did a great job all around and Maine didn't adapt at all.
                GO MAINE

Comment

Now we get to see whether this Maine coaching staff is worth a ....
                  I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Now we get to see whether this Maine coaching staff is worth a ....
                    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Maine fan at UNH View Post
                      That was absolutely miserable to watch. BC did a great job all around and Maine didn't adapt at all.
                      Yes. But as I pointed out previously - our strategy is to make as few adjustments as possible. Make sure our opponents know exactly what to prepare for, and never, ever stir your gameplan to keep the other team guessing. That's just plain cruel.

Our full proof plan now will be to exclusively play Sirman until he's burnt out.

That might be as quickly as this coming Saturday, but hey, it might be February! He did make 6 saves after the game was long decided so I'd say his hands are pretty hot. We won't know until we try it.

Afterall, we can't risk playing that Sullivan kid anytime soon. I mean, remember that ONE rough game he had against Boston College last...er...tonight? We'd be jeopardizing our chances if we played him again.

TIMMAY!
                      Last edited by Howitz-ah; 11-19-2010, 09:29 PM.
                      Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

Maine stunk up the joint tonight which goes without saying.....Sullivan was aveage, if he matched Muse you're looking at 1-0 game. Maybe 2-0 but the shorty to Gibbons and the third goal were bad. Maine couldn't win draws and that was killer.....no forecheck at all. Missed Dimmen and O'Neill on the 5x3 badly. If Dimmen's out long term the PP's going to need to be completely retooled strategy wise. Yuck.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

According to radio reports Sullivan didn't play that badly. One of the goals (2nd?), was on a turnover when Sullivan left the net to play the puck and turned it over. Youthful mistake. Maine's power play efficiency continues to be a big problem. Just a bad game all around.

Comment

without having seen it, here are my thoughts...

first goal was while bc was on a 5 on 3 powerplay on a shot that was deflected... can't really fault him on that one...
                            second goal was on sullivan... tried to headman the puck and put right to gibbons...
                            third one sounded like a bad turnover by maine leading to a quick shot...
                            fourth - was again on the powerplay which imo cannot be blamed on a goaltender unless it is something egregious...

that said, give sirman the start on sunday and see how it goes... if he plays well, go with a rotation between the two... if he gets shelled, give ouellette a look

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                              According to radio reports Sullivan didn't play that badly. One of the goals (2nd?), was on a turnover when Sullivan left the net to play the puck and turned it over. Youthful mistake. Maine's power play efficiency continues to be a big problem. Just a bad game all around.
                              Any time you let the other team put the puck into an empty net that's bad. Maybe the Tom Atkinson goal was a soft one as he had a clear view of it seemingly and got a big piece of it but it still went in. He had no shot on the Carey goal and might not have seen the Mullane goal, which was a snipe inside the post with two Maine players screening him.

Maine did not look good tonight at all but it was kind of a strange game, Maine won a lot of battles in the first two periods but still didn't bring much offense to the table with that. Still, this game could have been much different if they had not hit two posts in the first plus the Nyquist penalty shot in the first, which was one of the worst penalty shots I've ever seen. Really, very few players stood out for Maine. A few times I noticed a guy once and realized he was playing tonight (Amestoy and Corkum come to mind) and that was the only time I noticed them. Nyquist was very quiet aside from the penalty shot. Diamond was active and had some nice moves near the BC net that got it into the crease before BC cleared it away. Flynn and House were very quiet as well.

We'll see what happens Sunday. Are the players planning on taking in the BC-UVA game or taking a free day around town?
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                                We'll see what happens Sunday. Are the players planning on taking in the BC-UVA game or taking a free day around town?
                                i read something that said they would not be attending the game... probably watching film and practicing somewhere on saturday...

Comment

Working...
                                X