This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

For those of us who "live and die" for our favorite college hockey team, there comes a time when that is secondary. And that time came to Pioneer fans this weekend.
    GRAND FORKS, N.D. — University of Denver center Jesse Martin sustained three neck fractures in Saturday night's hockey game at North Dakota and was transferred to a Minneapolis hospital this morning where doctors are deciding if emergency surgery is required to relieve swelling of the spinal cord, the player's father said.

Read more: DU's Martin facing emergency surgery for broken neck - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz13z0LjWRS

A new thread has been started
    "Pass on your best wishes to Jesse Martin here"
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
      For those of us who "live and die" for our favorite college hockey team, there comes a time when that is secondary. And that time came to Pioneer fans this weekend.
      GRAND FORKS, N.D. — University of Denver center Jesse Martin sustained three neck fractures in Saturday night's hockey game at North Dakota and was transferred to a Minneapolis hospital this morning where doctors are deciding if emergency surgery is required to relieve swelling of the spinal cord, the player's father said.

Read more: DU's Martin facing emergency surgery for broken neck - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz13z0LjWRS

A new thread has been started
      "Pass on your best wishes to Jesse Martin here"
      So sorry to hear this. My absolute best wishes and prayers go out to Jesse.

Doesn't shock me that it came from Malone.
      Last edited by Howitz-ah; 10-31-2010, 07:33 PM. Reason: Trying to be nice about Malone.
      Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

video of the check. The Sioux fan says that they don't think its a penalty because Jesse was skating with his head down.

OK, he had just turned and was working on gaining possession to skate it out. Look right before the hit, the puck gets away from from him so he has to reach, hence his low posture.

Not to mention..the hit is entirely from the shoulders up. Not too many circumstances where a hit entirely to the head is legal.

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2010/10/b...se-martin.html
        Last edited by Howitz-ah; 10-31-2010, 07:40 PM.
        Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Howitz-ah View Post
          video of the check. The Sioux fan says that they don't think its a penalty because Jesse was skating with his head down.

OK, he had just turned and was working on gaining possession to skate it out. Look right before the hit, the puck gets away from from him so he has to reach, hence his low posture.

Not to mention..the hit is entirely from the shoulders up. Not too many circumstances where a hit entirely to the head is legal.

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2010/10/b...se-martin.html
          Sure looked like he raised his forearms to the head at the last second on the hit to me.

Comment

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
            Sure looked like he raised his forearms to the head at the last second on the hit to me.
            100% penalty and is one of the problems with college hockey
            gladiator mentality with zero respect for opponent

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
              100% penalty and is one of the problems with college hockey
              gladiator mentality with zero respect for opponent
              Yes, but the end result on that one is still an unfortunate freak accident I think.

Comment

On another note, women's soccer beat Stony Brook today in an America East semifinal, they play at BU Saturday at 1 for an NCAA berth. That would be Maine's first in any sport since, when? Football two years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by mainetwentytwelve View Post
                  Ok, now I'm confused.. I thought we were a bunch of diving p*ssies?
                  That was last week.

Comment

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
                    Yes, but the end result on that one is still an unfortunate freak accident I think.
                    I have to agree,but with a couple of reservations..

I was watching the game on the tube,and I essentially saw a taller guy hitting a shorter guy who had his head down.Hard to avoid above-the-shoulder contact in that circumstance.You can't expect the checker to squat down at the last second to avoid going a little high on the check-ee,right?

Yet,having watched UND vs. Maine the weekend previous,I am of the opinion that some of the Sioux believe in physically punishing their opponents when the opportunity presents itself,even if the hit is meaningless as far as the play in question goes.This hit might fit into that category.

My two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by MEpucknut View Post
                      Found this in the UND thread in response to the hit Brad Malone delivered to DU Player Jesse Martin last night (The Hit: http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/) leaving him with 3 fractures in his neck and emergency surgery to relieve swelling in his spinal cord .

"Didn't see the hit so have no idea if it was clean or not, but there's no doubt that NoDak has a reputation for very hard hitting that can tend to cause injury. In HE, Merrimack & Maine are teams that you thank your lucky stars for when you get out of a game without any serious injury. BC wasn't so lucky this weekend when MC took out our best defenseman with a dirty hit to the knees that has him out for 3-6 weeks. Maine took him out with a similar hit just last year. One would think that the league would get tough on cheap shot teams like Merrimack and Maine, but it hasn't happened yet. Merrimack may still have bad feelings toward BC after that terrible collision between their goalie Joe Exter and Pat Eaves a few years back but don't know what Maine's problem is but they have seriously injured many of our players over the years with dirty hits. Sorry to go on like this and not saying NoDak is dirty, in fact, my guess is they're more just big and mean"

Apparently we have a reputation as being dirty by some. Cant remember a Maine player delivering a hit quite like this in recent memory. Obviously this particular individual has not seen our tenacious "poke check" defense over the last several years. Here is hoping that Mr. Martin has a speedy recovery.
                      What a DUMB statement by a UND thread...after watching UND at Maine and at past Regionals and Frozen 4's...does this guy even watch his own..[UND]..play..? Most of the time they play a HARD hitting game,but don't count out that they go for the goon stuff either,just watch them when they play on the Dish vs the likes of Wisconsin/Denver/Minnesota...just a DUMB statement,especially after someone is injured vs his team.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                        What a DUMB statement by a UND thread...after watching UND at Maine and at past Regionals and Frozen 4's...does this guy even watch his own..[UND]..play..? Most of the time they play a HARD hitting game,but don't count out that they go for the goon stuff either,just watch them when they play on the Dish vs the likes of Wisconsin/Denver/Minnesota...just a DUMB statement,especially after someone is injured vs his team.....
                        The poster was a BC fan not a UND fan
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          The poster was a BC fan not a UND fan
                          ...I guess my BAD...I figured it to be by a UND fan...my regrets to my mis-statement.

Comment

A reason to bump the thread...

Abbott named Hockey East Player of the Week for October
                            http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...11/nov2mpm.php

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                              A reason to bump the thread...

Abbott named Hockey East Player of the Week for October
                              http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/...11/nov2mpm.php
                              Deservedly so! I can't remember who posted who knew Spencer could be this good? Like Dee sometimes it takes time, and Spencer's comments about playing with a lot more confidence speak volumes. When he was recruited obviously the coaches saw the potential, but players then have to work and have the confidence to show that potential. In speaking with a former Black Bear earlier this season (apologies to KIA for actually getting my own inside info) I was told Spencer has the best hands on the team! When I exclaimed a bit of surprise, he said yes better than Nyquist in terms of his hands! And now we are seeing the dividends. Our top 6 forwards are as good as anyones, we just need that 3rd line to contribute a bit more!

Can't wait to see them on Saturday at BU!

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                                Deservedly so! I can't remember who posted who knew Spencer could be this good? Like Dee sometimes it takes time,
                                Their were much higher expectations for Dee. He was a stud in Minnesota. We finally saw that last year with Dee. Abbott is completely out of the blue for me.
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X