X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
    There won't be many games when Maine scores less than 3 goals this season.......they won't need to be perfect. Hopefully, by the time the playoffs roll around they will be more confident and "seasoned" because that is when goaltending will REALLY matter.
    Spot on. As long as they keep improving they'll be fine. With the O clicking like it is they can all have a 3.00 GAA. Who cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Maineiak View Post
      Anyone know if we had any recruits in the building for the North Dakota series?
      Had a scout sitting next to me but he was there for ND.....told him he should keep an eye on maine too....

Comment

I certainly liked what I saw. Maine came out Friday looking for blood and ND was clearly not ready for it.
        UND did a good job of taking maine off their game with all of the hitting (and the cheap shot to Flynn in the first) and frankly, I wish Tim would do more of this sort of thing. There is a reason that Prestin was so good, and it was not just his shot.
        The D played very well positionally and they only let the snipers embarrass them once. That is gonna happen when Frattin is on the ice, that kid can play!
        Also, Maine put all the pressure in the world on Genoway (possibly the best offensive/all-over-the-ice defenseman I have ever seen---and no, I did not see Capuano) hopefully the Hobey voters look back to this series to see what happened when it was Gustav vs. Chay and give Gustav the edge... assuming it comes down to the 2 of them. (no disrespect meant to the rest of college hockey... I can do that later)

any hockey fan has got to LOVE Hextall, I am glad that we have Joey, who plays the same game, but can also draw penalties.
        We are going to have to come up with a name for when Joey gets the other team to throw him into their own goaltender or into the back of the net. he has done this in every game so far and it works!
        NOW, let's see Tim keep the boys motivated enough to solve Madore and the boring trap at the Gutt. I think that Vermont is going to play much the same way as UConn and even though a lot of you think that a GAA of 3 will be just fine, I am not so optimistic. Putting up 3 every game against the likes of Madore and Beaudry is not not going to happen just because Gustav is on the team and it is certainly not going to happen against Muse or the Scarlet Satan and his dogs.

Comment

Congrats to you guys.

You guys came out ready to play. UND wasn't ready in many ways.

You can see what happens to a WCHA team when they leave the WCHA. I'm not saying the officiating was great, but it was apparent to me that the Hockey East officials seemed to call the rulebook a lot closer to the rulebook than the WCHA officials do and it bit UND right where it counted.

I do not like the idea of taking the physicality out of the game, which the officials did quite a bit, but that's not the reason why UND lost. UND lost because their team D believed too much of the hype surrounding them rather then letting their play make those who experience it learn for themselves.

Nevertheless, I think Maine is a lot better than most people think. They remind me of the 1995 NJ Devils team where most people couldn't name 3 players on the team but that team went on to win it all. I don't know what this season will hold for either team, but I'd love to see you all again in the NCAAs.

Best of luck the rest of the way out. Maine will continue to play well and UND will improve as the year progresses to show the NCAA why they were picked so highly.
          Fire Greg Shepherd!!!!

It's spelled S I O U X

We didn't win a championship, but we won a lot of respect. - Cary Eades, North Dakota Fighting Sioux Assistant Coach (Thanks PCM)

Comment

Redwing, I had the same exact thought watching the penalty-filled Maine-MSU series. Lots of calls that probably won't be calls in April. What are you going to do?

Answer: let it go.

College hockey is too fun, and the season is too early. Let it go, and hope for a rematch later on. That's all I've got.
            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

great sweep this weekend. The first line looked great with Abbott, and the second line clicked well with Flynn.

The pp was back to old form, was nice to see them scoring!

Comment

Anyone know if we had any recruits in the building for the North Dakota series?
                A handful both nights

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                  I certainly liked what I saw. Maine came out Friday looking for blood and ND was clearly not ready for it.
                  UND did a good job of taking maine off their game with all of the hitting (and the cheap shot to Flynn in the first) and frankly, I wish Tim would do more of this sort of thing. There is a reason that Prestin was so good, and it was not just his shot.
                  The D played very well positionally and they only let the snipers embarrass them once. That is gonna happen when Frattin is on the ice, that kid can play!
                  Also, Maine put all the pressure in the world on Genoway (possibly the best offensive/all-over-the-ice defenseman I have ever seen---and no, I did not see Capuano) hopefully the Hobey voters look back to this series to see what happened when it was Gustav vs. Chay and give Gustav the edge... assuming it comes down to the 2 of them. (no disrespect meant to the rest of college hockey... I can do that later)

any hockey fan has got to LOVE Hextall, I am glad that we have Joey, who plays the same game, but can also draw penalties.
                  We are going to have to come up with a name for when Joey gets the other team to throw him into their own goaltender or into the back of the net. he has done this in every game so far and it works!
                  NOW, let's see Tim keep the boys motivated enough to solve Madore and the boring trap at the Gutt. I think that Vermont is going to play much the same way as UConn and even though a lot of you think that a GAA of 3 will be just fine, I am not so optimistic. Putting up 3 every game against the likes of Madore and Beaudry is not not going to happen just because Gustav is on the team and it is certainly not going to happen against Muse or the Scarlet Satan and his dogs.
                  Who is this and what have you done with KnowItAll! A compliment for Tim! I think I did see Tim out there on the 1st line too! Compliments for the D, thought they could not play D since Campbell left? Look what happened when the team actually spent a week licking their wounds and bought in to the game plan!

Season is still young.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl80 View Post
                    A handful both nights
                    Do you know the names of any?

Comment

Originally posted by jabl80 View Post
                      A handful both nights
                      Good. If they can't be sold on Maine after this weekend then to h*ll with them!

Comment

welcome back to national prominence if you weren't there already. this sweep certifies it though. good for you guys and for Hockey East

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                          welcome back to national prominence if you weren't there already. this sweep certifies it though. good for you guys and for Hockey East
                          Way too phkn early to be making that statement. Let me see a final four appearance first and I might agree with you. An early season sweep over a slow starting, road weary team doesnt mean all that much...but itz in the right direction. Letz see if they can maintain and build on it
                          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

You guys actually use spaces??? Haha....ever since I graduated (2002) and have been a season ticket holder, I've parked more illegally than legally. Grass, medians, any open space. They know they don't have enough spaces, so they never do anything about it. As long as you don't do something idiotic like completely block a fire lane or block the entrance to somehting, you'll be fine. Heck, people were parking on the grass, right across from the Walsh Center in front of the old Crossland Alumni Center. Cops standing right there, never said a word.
                            so you're one of those people? That drives me nuts. There are plenty of legitimate parking spaces if you are willing to walk a little. I always park in a faculty lot that is maybe a quarter mile away and NEVER full, however the road I need to drive down to get there is down to 1.5 lanes because of so many people parked illegally.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                              Way too phkn early to be making that statement. Let me see a final four appearance first and I might agree with you. An early season sweep over a slow starting, road weary team doesnt mean all that much...but itz in the right direction. Letz see if they can maintain and build on it
                              We've seen glimpses of great play in the past few years only to see them go back to their old ways. Its a long season and I'm glad they put it together for this weekend but I'll believe they're back in the Nat'l picture when they actually are next March and April. In the mean time I'm going to enjoy what appears to be a good team
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                We've seen glimpses of great play in the past few years only to see them go back to their old ways. Its a long season and I'm glad they put it together for this weekend but I'll believe they're back in the Nat'l picture when they actually are next March and April. In the mean time I'm going to enjoy what appears to be a good team
                                Yeah, me too...I'll back them beaches 100% as long as they give me 110% No seriously, they seemingly have turned a corner mentally as a team...I pray like hell thats a permanent comittment to excellence....I would surely hate to see them slip and return to their old ways....I dont think they will though...this weekend showed me something about their heart. There is no question they have the talent.
                                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X