X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
    I dunno. Put Palmisano in a Maine uniform and swap out maine goalies, and Maine wins both of those games. Even with the blueline turnovers.

Obviously, it's never *that* simple. But Maine doesn't need a best-in-the-country lock-down defense to succeed with this team. And if they take chances to generate transition opportunities, once in while it's going to put the defense and especially the goalie on the spot. I don't want to see the team reined in. They could really use a goalie who can make a save for them now and then. I'm not saying none of the three can be that guy, or that none will. Just pointing out the obvious - right now, none of them are that guy.
    True...but sooner then later one of the 3 has to be the go to guy. Sirman seems to be the #1 at the time,but I wouldn't count out Ouellette. I think Sullivan is more or less a backup.

Comment

Bertus...
      How did walrus put it?
      Maine made another goalie look like an all American?

Did anyone else notice that the very first time in 10 years that Timmy pulled put a white board and set up a play during a time out... Maine scored
      So it seems that not only does coaching during a game have a positive effect, but Tim actually knows about it.

Where are the apologists?
      Apparently after 4 down years they have completely lost interest, while the nutcases are still following the team

Comment

Here's what I saw in Lansing..........

Maine started the game Thursday very strong with good speed and a tenacious forecheck attack - they created havoc around the MSU goal for most of the 1st period and had MSU on their heels a lot. The power-play looked good, with nice puck movement and control. With a 3-1 lead after one period and a large edge in shots on goal, it looked like Maine was on their way to a convincing win.

The 2nd and 3rd periods were much different however, as MSU was more aggressive and quicker to loose pucks than Maine. Turnovers in the neutral zone and in their own end by the defence led to so many odd-man rushes against that I lost count. Some undisciplined penalties didn't help either, as Diamond was called for a couple of needless penalties (in my opinion) - he played well, but needs to find the line between being aggressive and being reckless. Sirman played well for the most part - he was completely screened on the first goal, he had absolutely no chance on the shorthanded goal (which was the result of another turnover by the defence - at the MSU blueline). I think he should have stopped one of the 2nd period goals - a clear shot from well out - but he was solid overall.

I thought that Maine would come out strong on Friday after letting a game they should have won the night before slip away, but MSU was much more aggressive and kept pressure on the Maine defence throughout the game. Maine played well at times and had many scoring chances, but Palmisano made several great saves. The power-play was again moving the puck well, but couldn't finish until the 5-on-3 halfway through the 3rd period. The winning MSU goal in the 3rd was the result of another turnover and poor defensive zone coverage. Sullivan played well and made several nice saves on point-blank chances by MSU.

After seeing both games, I can say that the goaltending was not the weak spot in Lansing. The defence as a group has to be better - they have to reduce the turnovers in all 3 zones and make better shot selections instead of shooting into the defenders' shin pads. The power-play, as I said before, moved and controlled the puck well, but they were waiting for the perfect play before putting the puck on net - maybe trying too hard after the success of the PP last season. Abbott played well, Nyquist and Flynn were both skating and handling the puck well but they couldn't make the last move past an MSU defender to get scoring chances.

I'm confident the power-play will improve and start to produce, and the goaltending looks ok so far - team defence and cutting down on the turnovers will be a key for this team going forward.

All in all it was a good time for my wife and I in Lansing - we saw about 2 dozen people with Maine gear on and we met several nice people from Maine during the Thursday morning skate - including one who posts here on the Fan Forum.
        Last edited by Hoover; 10-17-2010, 04:53 PM. Reason: to correct spelling errors

Comment

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
          Here's what I saw in Lansing..........

Maine started the game Thursday very strong with good speed and a tenacious forecheck attack - they created havoc around the MSU goal for most of the 1st period and had MSU on their heels a lot. The power-play looked good, with nice puck movement and control. With a 3-1 lead after one period and a large edge in shots on goal, it looked like Maine was on their way to a convincing win.

The 2nd and 3rd periods were much diffenent however, as MSU was more aggressive and quicker to loose pucks than Maine. Turnovers in the neutral zone and in their own end by the defence led to so many odd-man rushes against that I lost count. Some undiciplined penalties didn't help either, as Diamond was called for a couple of needless penalties (in my opinion) - he played well, but needs to find the line between being aggressive and being reckless. Sirman played well for the most part - he was completely screened on the first goal, he had absolutely no chance on the shorthanded goal (which was the result of another turnover by the defence - at the MSU blueline). I think he should have stopped one of the 2nd period goals - a clear shot from well out - but he was solid overall.

I thought that Maine would come out strong on Friday after letting a game they should have won the night before slip away, but MSU was much more aggressive and kept pressure on the Maine defence throughout the game. Maine played well at times and had many scoring chances, but Palmisano made several great saves. The power-play was again moving the puck well, but couldn't finish until the 5-on-3 halfway through the 3rd period. The winning MSU goal in the 3rd was the result of anothet turnover and poor defensive zone coverage. Sullivan played well and made several nice saves on point-blank chances by MSU.

After seeing both games, I can say that the goaltending was not the weak spot in Lansing. The defence as a group has to be better - they have to reduce the turnovers in all 3 zones and make better shot selections instead of shooting into the defenders' shin pads. The power-play, as I said before, moved and controlled the puck well, but they were waiting for the perfect play before putting the puck on net - maybe trying too hard after the success of the PP last season. Abbott played well, Nyquist and Flynn were both skating and handling the puck well but they couldn't make the last move past an MSU defender to get scoring chances.

I'm confident the power-play will improve and start to produce, and the goaltending looks ok so far - team defence and cutting down on the turnovers will be a key for this team going forward.

All in all it was a good time for my wife and I in Lansing - we saw about 2 dozen people with Maine gear on and we met several nice people from Maine during the Thursday morning skate - including one who posts here on the Fan Forum.
          Thanks for the recaps. Pretty much the way I saw it too. I think Sirman and Sullivan will be fine. Havent seen Oullette play yet, but I see some real competition for playing time.
          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Coming up for the North Dakota series...how come the hotels are so expensive/no rooms available at many? Any big happenings in the area this weekend? Homecoming?

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
              Coming up for the North Dakota series...how come the hotels are so expensive/no rooms available at many? Any big happenings in the area this weekend? Homecoming?
              Homecoming was this weekend. I don't know of any big events next weekend. I suspect there are many people coming to town to see the Fighting Sioux.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                Not sure about any other events but homecoming was this past weekend.
                Homecoming King... Tanner House
                It may be 10 below, Under 5 feet of snow,
                But no matter where we go, WE ALL LOVE ORONO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                  Thanks for the recaps. Pretty much the way I saw it too. I think Sirman and Sullivan will be fine. Havent seen Oullette play yet, but I see some real competition for playing time.
                  I would agree. Maine really needs at least 2 points this weekend to get going in the right direction.

Comment

I've always liked O'Neill, and I don't care for Tim...but sometimes a good benching is in order.

A lineup-staple getting too cozy can be toxic. Don't take a single game for granted...and keep your head in it!

Van Dyk needs to be sat down this weekend. Nemec looked lackluster last weekend, but I wouldn't mind giving him a look this Saturday if we have a weak link in the fence.

I said it last week, but O'Connor needs another look. He looked solid two Saturdays ago, and now has two more weeks of practice under his belt.

I would go..

Dimmen/O'Neill
                    Cornell/Hegarty
                    Banwell/O'Connor
                    Sirman

And it'll basically be their spots to lose Saturday.
                    Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Howitz-ah View Post
                      I've always liked O'Neill, and I don't care for Tim...but sometimes a good benching is in order.

A lineup-staple getting too cozy can be toxic. Don't take a single game for granted...and keep your head in it!

Van Dyk needs to be sat down this weekend. Nemec looked lackluster last weekend, but I wouldn't mind giving him a look this Saturday if we have a weak link in the fence.

I said it last week, but O'Connor needs another look. He looked solid two Saturdays ago, and now has two more weeks of practice under his belt.

I would go..

Dimmen/O'Neill
                      Cornell/Hegarty
                      Banwell/O'Connor
                      Sirman

And it'll basically be their spots to lose Saturday.
                      Maine needs more "size" and "speed" in the lineup this weekend. Corkum up front and Nemec on D might be nice additions. Or maybe go with the same line up where Maine tied BC late last year in the finals................but putting more size up front, as we have some size with some new recruits. The coach has to instill some confidence in his "young" tenders. Hopefully the experimentation is over and a tender can get at least back to back games to settle in. All in all what I have seen the team lacks consistency and it is up to the coach to install confidence with all his players. Is coach Whitehead a good communicator with his players overall ? I feel that once this team starts to get on a roll it will be dangerous. The powerplay needs more ugly goals !

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                        But Maine doesn't need a best-in-the-country lock-down defense to succeed with this team. And if they take chances to generate transition opportunities, once in while it's going to put the defense and especially the goalie on the spot. I don't want to see the team reined in. They could really use a goalie who can make a save for them now and then. I'm not saying none of the three can be that guy, or that none will. Just pointing out the obvious - right now, none of them are that guy.
                        Agreed.........but Ouellette needs more than the UConn game to prove himself. That was a weird game.......he saw relatively few shots and the first 2 goals were on penalty kill breakdowns. I say play Sirman on Friday and Ouellette on Saturday vs. NoDak.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                          True...but sooner then later one of the 3 has to be the go to guy. Sirman seems to be the #1 at the time,but I wouldn't count out Ouellette. I think Sullivan is more or less a backup.
                          Agreed. The battle for #1 is Sirman vs. Ouellette. Sullivan looks like a capable back-up.

Comment

North Dakota coming in this weekend with their huge defensive corps and speedy snipers up front. Might make for a quiet weekend at the A. Do you suppose they will pressure our defense?

Comment

Originally posted by mainetwentytwelve View Post
                              Not sure about any other events but homecoming was this past weekend.
                              Homecoming King... Tanner House
                              Tanner was "homecoming royalty" - the pc police have even affected something as foolish as crowning the homecoming king and queen. Why do they even continue with this awful tradition?

Back to hockey - looking forward to this weekend with the Sioux although not sure maine will end up with any points the way they have been playing of late. Need more grit in the lineup.

The powerplay needs someone in front of the tender - how many times were the forwards at the side of the net hoping for a rebound to the side? Somebody has to mix it up with the defense and cause some havoc.

Go Blue!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoover View Post
                                ...as MSU was more aggressive and quicker to loose pucks than Maine...
                                This is where I stopped reading for a second. Has anyone ever recalled a team that Whitehead led that were more than averagely aggressive and hard-working after every puck? Not trying to start or insinuate anything but I had to wonder.

Comment

Working...
                                X