This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears 2010 - 2011

Anyone hear about a Will ONeill injury? Didnt see him at all in the last ten minutes or so which was really odd especially given all the man advantage time. Hard to believe Timmy benched him for causing that 5x3 all he did was stick his arm between Dimman and an MSU guy unless there was something they didnt show on tv it was an attrocious call. Will's collected plenty of PIMs sticking up for teammates before without getting yanked.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Re: Michigan State Suite Tickets Available - Fellow Maine Fans

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
      Agreed........but a split with NoDak is a MUST now. A sweep (unlikely) would get them back to where we would all like them to be.
      This weekend has gotta leave a bad taste....I'm hoping for a win and no less than a tie. Goaltending's gotta be on next weekend.
      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

WAKE UP CALL...if this team THINKS it can just show up and win then there in for a long/long season...this team will have to out work the other team each night and for 60 minutes...goaltending is the question mark along with the penalty kill. Until they can string back to back games with grit and desire then you can look forward to a long season of win one/lose one...win two/lose two...6-5/5-4 games....you can do that early but come crunch time that goes out the window...defense/grit and Team play is the only way this team moves forward. {imo}

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          WAKE UP CALL...if this team THINKS it can just show up and win then there in for a long/long season...this team will have to out work the other team each night and for 60 minutes...goaltending is the question mark along with the penalty kill. Until they can string back to back games with grit and desire then you can look forward to a long season of win one/lose one...win two/lose two...6-5/5-4 games....you can do that early but come crunch time that goes out the window...defense/grit and Team play is the only way this team moves forward. {imo}
          Originally posted by acs64 View Post
          This weekend has gotta leave a bad taste....I'm hoping for a win and no less than a tie. Goaltending's gotta be on next weekend.
          acs is right. I don't think Maine just showed up in East Lansing and expected to win. I thought they outplayed the Spartans for most of the series. But they have a knack for terrible turnovers. And let's be honest - Maine's goaltending is probably in the bottom third of DI hockey right now. Someone has to step up. I have no stake in it, I don't care who does it. But someone will have to, or this team really isn't going anywhere. They won't be able to take advantage of the skill that they *do* have if they're always playing paranoid about protecting their keepers.
          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

According to the article in the BDN Whitehead benched a couple of guys (http://new.bangordailynews.com/2010/...e-black-bears/)

We had a great third period, but you can’t win a game playing one period against a real good team in their own rink,” Whitehead said. “So the penalties we took obviously cost us and I waited too long to bench (No.) 27 and some of the other guys, but once I did, the boys played well. But it was too little too late. This is a great wakeup call for us. Now, we know we’re not going to win if we get in the penalty box like that.

Sounds like Mr. Whitehead is a little angry and is publicly calling em out!

Comment

I really believe that the best thing Maine can do to cut down on penalties is to play more of their games in a conference where ice hockey isn't treated like field hockey.

Maine is playing NoDak at Orono, so . . . mission accomplished.
              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                I don't think Maine just showed up in East Lansing and expected to win. I thought they outplayed the Spartans for most of the series. But they have a knack for terrible turnovers. And let's be honest - Maine's goaltending is probably in the bottom third of DI hockey right now. Someone has to step up. I have no stake in it, I don't care who does it. But someone will have to, or this team really isn't going anywhere. They won't be able to take advantage of the skill that they *do* have if they're always playing paranoid about protecting their keepers.
                Yeah, I mean I thot Maine played well but for a few mistakes and some really strange reffing. They were a bit snakebitten and MSU got a little better goaltending. I knew this would be a tuff series...MSU in their own barn? Of course thats gonna be an uphill battle. Having said that, I think the S brothers gained some valuable experience playing there which will translate well down the stretch. I hated to see them come out with so little, but Im optimistic about these guys. They're playing hard and want to win....so long as they continue to improve, especially in the defensive zone, they should be just fine. Now if we could just get Grant to come in a few afternoons to show them some D zone tricks.
                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

why does maine need to cut down on penalties?
                  the ticky tack calls went both ways... and if there are going to be 20 ticky tack calls in a game, 10 each way, I thought that the best power play in the country would benefit from that?

and that was not even the case, maine was on the PP 10 times to MSU's 7. One thing timmy still fails to realize is that defensemen MUST play on the edge of getting penalty calls... knocking a puck carrier around who is about to score is almost never called anyway. in spite of reality, Timmy makes the defensemen play poke check and timid-D.

pokechecking either leads to nothing or an accidental trip... knocking a guy on is As5 is usually a legal play... notice that OConnor did not play after playing physically a couple weeks ago.
                  also, while it is nice that Abbott is scoring, I think that it is no surprise that teams are scoring up a storm against him and his line... he is the new Hopson of defensive zone forewards

Maine has finished 2 tie games on the PP and could not score... it is not the bad penalties killing Maine, it is the coaching.

Corky used to yell and scream his first semester behind the bench, rallying the troops and getting guys fired up, now he looks as though he ODd on heroine, calm as a Hindu cow

but whatever, the smart people have moved on and have stopped complaining... I guess it would be like complaining about the weather in Maine.
                  Last edited by KnowItAll; 10-16-2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Its okay guys we will come back on a tear. We have the guns and we will be a force. I am not worried.

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                      the smart people have moved on and have stopped complaining... I guess it would be like complaining about the weather in Maine.
                      You want a trade?

I've got your 6-month summer right here. I'll throw in 2 months of triple-digit temps and near triple-digit humidity, with overnight lows in the mid-80s.

If there were a job for me in Maine, I'd be there.

Comment

I don't think goaltender is the problem, or at least won't be. There may be some growing pains right now, but once Sirman and Sullivan get some games under their belts, they both look like they'll be fine.

Team defense, and the defensemen in particular, are what needs work. Turnovers, passes right to the other team, generally soft defensive play, coupled with a few major breakdowns every game, and we have what we have. Why is Van Dyk even in the lineup?
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

The d-men are/will be the weak link on this team IMO.

By the way......Merrimack destroyed UConn tonight 7-1. Mr. Bartus was yanked after he gave up his 6th goal on 12 shots.........
                          Last edited by sandiegoblkbr; 10-16-2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            I don't think goaltender is the problem, or at least won't be. There may be some growing pains right now, but once Sirman and Sullivan get some games under their belts, they both look like they'll be fine.

Team defense, and the defensemen in particular, are what needs work. Turnovers, passes right to the other team, generally soft defensive play, coupled with a few major breakdowns every game, and we have what we have. Why is Van Dyk even in the lineup?
                            the D was pretty good when Campbell Blair was around telling the boys not to listen to Tim and to play defense.
                            Now , Tim is dictating how defense is to be played.
                            Don't blame vanDyk for his failure to improve, nobody improves under this regime.

some people said that they noticed a dead canary in the mine a few years ago, and others just said look at all those frozen fours.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                              The d-men are/will be the weak link on this team IMO.

By the way......Merrimack destroyed UConn tonight 7-1. Mr. Bartus was yanked after he gave up his 6th goal on 12 shots.........
                              Bartus allowing 6 goals! He's human after all.

Comment

I dunno. Put Palmisano in a Maine uniform and swap out maine goalies, and Maine wins both of those games. Even with the blueline turnovers.

Obviously, it's never *that* simple. But Maine doesn't need a best-in-the-country lock-down defense to succeed with this team. And if they take chances to generate transition opportunities, once in while it's going to put the defense and especially the goalie on the spot. I don't want to see the team reined in. They could really use a goalie who can make a save for them now and then. I'm not saying none of the three can be that guy, or that none will. Just pointing out the obvious - right now, none of them are that guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X