Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic City!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic Cit

No matter what happens for the rest of the season we have had the chance to watch one special team. GO U!

Comment

• Re: Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic Cit

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      A little testy today, are we? If you'd like to go down that road, take a looksies at the PWR ranks, which matters a little bit more (RPI is ahead of you there, although you do have the matchup over us).

I try to pay compliments on here, but sometimes it just plain backfires...
      Not testy, just objective. PWR rankings are a derivative of ranking so, again, it is subjective. The only thing that really matters is that U & RPI have played the identical conference schedule and U is 4 pts up. At the end of the day it is what you do on the ice that matters, not what opinion some committee has. If you win all your games you will be national champion... on the ice (and the pollsters will have to vote you tops).

Since RPI has played in the tournament (although the last time was 17 years ago) they ride the wave of being a recognizable program nationally while U still struggles to be noticed outside of the ECAC. This is reflected consistently in the weekly national rankings.

And, yes, this is strictly conjecture. The rankings, as Wholin points out, is just for entertainment value.

BTW, I learned years ago to forget the compliments. Yes they do backfire...especially when shared with the guys on the other side of the tracks (or Northway)

Comment

Originally posted by OsecnUC View Post
        Not testy, just objective. PWR rankings are a derivative of ranking so, again, it is subjective. The only thing that really matters is that U & RPI have played the identical conference schedule and U is 4 pts up. At the end of the day it is what you do on the ice that matters, not what opinion some committee has. If you win all your games you will be national champion... on the ice (and the pollsters will have to vote you tops).

Since RPI has played in the tournament (although the last time was 17 years ago) they ride the wave of being a recognizable program nationally while U still struggles to be noticed outside of the ECAC. This is reflected consistently in the weekly national rankings.

And, yes, this is strictly conjecture. The rankings, as Wholin points out, is just for entertainment value.

BTW, I learned years ago to forget the compliments. Yes they do backfire...especially when shared with the guys on the other side of the tracks (or Northway)
        exactly

Comment

The hiring of a strength coach is important for a couple of reasons. Obviously, the team on the ice will benefit. But also, I think it is another indication that the administration is starting to provide more resources to the program. Although it is my understanding that the strength coach will be working with several teams, I note that he will be based in the Travis J. Clarke Center which is located in the ground floor at Messa and also that he is a former college hockey player at BU (I'm guessing that volunteer assistant Jason Tapp may have made the connection here). I believe Union was the only ECAC hockey program still without a strength coach. I also understand that the Garnet Blades were instrumental in at least partially funding this hire. I also am hopeful that there will be some positive developments within the next few years with regard to upgrading Messa.

http://unionathletics.com/news/2011/...207111733.aspx
          Last edited by Wholin1; 02-09-2011, 06:51 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

And since RPI is a liberal arts school, we know that 1995 is 16 years ago.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              And since RPI is a liberal arts school, we know that 1995 is 16 years ago.
              right you are...sometimes my memory fails me..thought it was '94.

Thanks for the negative rep from NYHockeyguy, realet, and, of course Red Cloud.

realet points out the we played West Point, AIC, and Sacred Heart this season. Guess you forgot the powerhouses RPI has played like Connecticut, Alabama, and New Brunswick. Tell me what these games have to do with conference play?

Maybe you guys should realize that your team currently trails Union and you shouldn't get so lost in your fanaticism.
              I guess the floodgates are open and now we'll see all the bullies jump on the dog pile with negative rep.

Comment

right you are...sometimes my memory fails me..thought it was '94.

Thanks for the negative rep from NYHockeyguy, realet, and, of course Red Cloud.

realet points out the we played West Point, AIC, and Sacred Heart this season. Guess you forgot the powerhouses RPI has played like Connecticut, Alabama, and New Brunswick. Tell me what these games have to do with conference play?

Maybe you guys should realize that your team currently trails Union and you shouldn't get so lost in your fanaticism.
                I guess the floodgates are open and now we'll see all the bullies jump on the dog pile with negative rep.
                New Brunswick was an exhibition game, guy. It doesn't count towards the stats. Also, given the original topic of the debate, I don't think we have to tell you why non-conference play is being included in the discussion.

Plus, having Hokey-dope in agreement with you isn't necessarily a good thing.

Comment

yeah, I caught that too...kinda hoped it would just disappear lol

Comment

RPI played 3 games against UConn and UAH and didn't beat up on either one. New Brunswick doesn't count in the standings, but you knew that (or maybe you didn't). Union played four against the three and trashed them all (AKA, stat compiliing). It doesn't have anything to do with conference play, but then again neither does your 20 wins that you were busy crowing about.

This smacks of a person who can dish it out but can't take it. That's why you get negative rep, not because we're "bullies" but because you talk copious amounts of trash. Ever thus to chest-beaters. You can't be satisfied with your own success, you have to try to prove yourself "better" than someone else. The standings are one thing, the games are another.

You're a poor excuse of a Union fan, I'm disappointed that real fans like Wholin1 and Dutchfan have to put up with tools like you and unionbob.
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

New Brunswick was an exhibition game, guy. It doesn't count towards the stats. Also, given the original topic of the debate, I don't think we have to tell you why non-conference play is being included in the discussion.

Thats true Flagdude.

What elase is also true is all the crazy posts and arguing over a recruit coming in next year and points etc. Since we are on the subject of "how do these crazy numbers make sense".

lets take a quick look

I simply had stated that it is wrong to constantly be reading that, "points will be added", or "more points will show up soon"

7 points in first 9 games and plus 7, some added and changed.

After it was discussed, not 1 point in the next 18 games and a minus 1, worst on team over that stretch. Not 1 point.

Some of the racehorses at Union will be diving over the boards for matchups next season.....

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                        Thats true Flagdude.What elase is also true is all the crazy posts and arguing over a recruit coming in next year and points etc. Since we are on the subject of "how do these crazy numbers make sense".
                        lets take a quick look
                        I simply had stated that it is wrong to constantly be reading that, "points will be added", or "more points will show up soon"
                        7 points in first 9 games and plus 7, some added and changed.
                        After it was discussed, not 1 point in the next 18 games and a minus 1, worst on team over that stretch. Not 1 point.
                        Some of the racehorses at Union will be diving over the boards for matchups next season.....
                        Yo no hablo español.. or in other words, WT *** has this got to do with this thread??????? Please take this fascinating conversation back to the RPI Recruits thread.

As for comparing Union & RPI, I think the 3 games played so far, as well as the conference results, show that there is almost no difference between the 2 teams. RPI has had a tougher schedule so gets a little more juice in the polls, which is ok with me seeing as polls ultimately don't mean much. Hopefully there will be one or two more games between the teams to resolve the argument.
                        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                          Yo no hablo español.. or in other words, WT *** has this got to do with this thread??????? Please take this fascinating conversation back to the RPI Recruits thread.

As for comparing Union & RPI, I think the 3 games played so far, as well as the conference results, show that there is almost no difference between the 2 teams. RPI has had a tougher schedule so gets a little more juice in the polls, which is ok with me seeing as polls ultimately don't mean much. Hopefully there will be one or two more games between the teams to resolve the argument.
                          One in Atlantic City and one in St. Paul.
                          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-10-2011, 02:04 PM. Reason: speeling
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                            RPI played 3 games against UConn and UAH and didn't beat up on either one. New Brunswick doesn't count in the standings, but you knew that (or maybe you didn't). Union played four against the three and trashed them all (AKA, stat compiliing). It doesn't have anything to do with conference play, but then again neither does your 20 wins that you were busy crowing about.

This smacks of a person who can dish it out but can't take it. That's why you get negative rep, not because we're "bullies" but because you talk copious amounts of trash. Ever thus to chest-beaters. You can't be satisfied with your own success, you have to try to prove yourself "better" than someone else. The standings are one thing, the games are another.

You're a poor excuse of a Union fan, I'm disappointed that real fans like Wholin1 and Dutchfan have to put up with tools like you and unionbob.
                            Where's UHM?
                            And I thought we were friends?

In all seriousness though, as much as I LOVE beating RPI (and as much as I HATE losing to RPI), can't we all just be happy that both of us have two of the top teams in the country? Who would have thought this a few years ago? Nothing would make me happier than to see both of these teams in the National Tournament and maybe even St. Paul.
                            LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Has your out-of-conference preliminary schedule been released yet? I find it a bit peculiar that RPI is only playing one game against Notre Dame next year, and it makes me wonder if they intend to also play you guys next year, and then make the Troy-Schenectady run the year after. I know it isn't what is commonly done with the western teams, but it's worth a thought.

Comment

Wow, all of a sudden this thread's come to life. . I haven't heard anything except rumors about the OOC games next year. One I heard included a possible trip to Denver. This years' schedule obviously had some softies, but it at least served the purpose of getting U some notoriety I guess. Still and all, the way to upgrade is to get more meat on your scheduling plate.

Comment

Working...
                                X