Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic City!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic Cit

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
    We comment a bit about this topic every season, more or less. Now Ken Schott and I both want a new rink or in a manner of speaking, "If they come, will they build it?" This is a longshot for a lot of reasons, but let's face it, Messa rink is a D-III facility with a D-1 team. (By the way, it looked like there were some problems with the ice on Saturday). The Saturday Clarkson game wasn't quite a sellout according to the announced attendance, but it really had that cramped feeling. The rest room facilities are totally inadequate, the bleachers uncomfortable and difficult to access, and well, you know all the rest. A top ranked program deserves a top notch facility or at the very least, an adequate one. Well, I can dream can't I?

http://cms.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...10-11-week-14/
    Interesting about the new rink idea.

I think it was 1995 when Roger Hull explored the idea of moving the games to the Schenectady city center (I think) and sharing it with SYO. I remember emailing Mr. Hull with my thoughts to keep Achilles around and not move the team's games off campus - partially because of the location and logistics, but mostly because Achilles reminded me a bit of Clarkson's old Walker Arena. Walker was a cozy, yet intimidating barn in the middle of Potsdam (where I spent many a winter evening during my freshman & sophomore years at SUNY Potsdam), but a great place for a game. Not a great place if you wanted comfort, but at 18-19 years old, I didn't care. Achilles/Messa is actually larger than Walker was, but there is still a cozy feel to the rink where I felt Hull didn't need to move the team away.

Now that I'm almost 40, I might be rethinking things. The logistics aren't great (restrooms are small, concession stand is somewhat difficult to access, press box in a weird location, ice issues are cropping up again, the majority of us still sit on bleachers, etc.) and maybe it's time for a jump to a better facility for a D-I program on the rise.
    Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

• Re: Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic Cit

HELP MAKE THE NEW COACH'S SHOW A HUGE SUCCESS!

Union Fans - We need your help!

http://www.unionathletics.com/news/2...106111618.aspx

New Coach's show, live at Bomber's in Schenectady at 6pm every Tuesday from now til the end of the season. Please spread the word, and if you can make it down, come on in to Bomber's and say hello. If you can't make it, please e-mail your questions for the coach to UnionHockeyRadio@gmail.com - And we'll read them (the good ones ) live on air.

Let's do everything we can to make this a huge success. The bigger crowds, the more questions, = the more fun.

If you have any suggestions/ideas for segments - Things you'd like to hear on the coach's show, also feel free to let us know!

As a note about attendance, the announced was 2,170. Official sellout is 2,225, but to my knowledge, when they do a TV game some seating is lost. I didn't see an empty seat in the building and people were standing at the rails - so I don't see how it could be considered anything but a sellout.

Comment

Congrats to ECAC POTW, Kyle Bodie. http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2010-1..._M_Wkly_Awards

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
          Interesting about the new rink idea.

I think it was 1995 when Roger Hull explored the idea of moving the games to the Schenectady city center (I think) and sharing it with SYO. I remember emailing Mr. Hull with my thoughts to keep Achilles around and not move the team's games off campus - partially because of the location and logistics, but mostly because Achilles reminded me a bit of Clarkson's old Walker Arena. Walker was a cozy, yet intimidating barn in the middle of Potsdam (where I spent many a winter evening during my freshman & sophomore years at SUNY Potsdam), but a great place for a game. Not a great place if you wanted comfort, but at 18-19 years old, I didn't care. Achilles/Messa is actually larger than Walker was, but there is still a cozy feel to the rink where I felt Hull didn't need to move the team away.

Now that I'm almost 40, I might be rethinking things. The logistics aren't great (restrooms are small, concession stand is somewhat difficult to access, press box in a weird location, ice issues are cropping up again, the majority of us still sit on bleachers, etc.) and maybe it's time for a jump to a better facility for a D-I program on the rise.
          a good concept but will this bring in better OOC teams? You need to provide a consistenly good product to attract this competition and the answer to this is scholarships. We're riding a wave right now, but no matter how good Nate does in recruiting and providing winning teams, the only way you will attract the elite players is through money. Attract the elite player and you will attract the bigger teams in the nation. At the end of the day, save the monet on a venue and spend it on players. We're not an Ivy team afteral...

Comment

Originally posted by OsecnUC View Post
            a good concept but will this bring in better OOC teams? You need to provide a consistenly good product to attract this competition and the answer to this is scholarships. We're riding a wave right now, but no matter how good Nate does in recruiting and providing winning teams, the only way you will attract the elite players is through money. Attract the elite player and you will attract the bigger teams in the nation. At the end of the day, save the monet on a venue and spend it on players. We're not an Ivy team afteral...
            My understanding is the only way for U to give scholarships is for all sports to go D-1. Clarkson, RPI, etc. have exemptions so they can do this and keep their other sports D-3, and I believe the NCAA is not allowing exemptions anymore.
            UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
              My understanding is the only way for U to give scholarships is for all sports to go D-1. Clarkson, RPI, etc. have exemptions so they can do this and keep their other sports D-3, and I believe the NCAA is not allowing exemptions anymore.
              I think this is basically correct.

I know a new rink is a stretch, but I'd be settle for a rehab that provided more fan friendly facilities including more comfortable seating, adequate restrooms, and better refreshment services. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by OsecnUC View Post
                Most of the "big Name programs" in the west won`t come to the small ECAC barns for several reasons. # 1 they don`t want to give up the gate revenue they would get for an OOC home series that many schools are more than willing to do. Secondly they have very few OOC games available because they play so many league games.Thirdly they really have no interest in putting OOc games on the schedule where a win does nothing for them because sadly many times a win vs Union or RPI doesn`t help them in the Rankings and a loss is held against them. I was Very surprised when NODAK went to Cornell for a two home set recently. I suspect there is a story behind it that perhaps a Cornell fan could explain. Getting BU , BC or as you know Maine to come to your barn is almost always a coaches connection deal.

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                  a win vs Union or RPI doesn`t help them in the Rankings
                  That's changing!

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                    That's changing!
                    I should have said historically.

Comment

Most players on the hockey team do not pay for school. Ask them, they're on some sort of scholarship. I believe this issue came up a couple years ago and the president at the time responded with "we can't treat the hockey players differently than the other athletes"

We really need a new rink though. Hopefully someone will donate oodles of money like they did to get the Gym fixed up. "Price Chopper Arena" courtesy of The Golub's He has plenty of space next to the Price Chopper facility on Nott.

Comment

Hockey players are not treated any differently than any other student in the financial aid process. Union doesn't offer any scholarships beyond merit based scholarships that are determined by a prospective student's academic attributes so if a hockey player qualifies for that, beyond need based aid, then they receive a scholarship. If they don't qualify academically for a merit based scholarship then they don't receive it.

Schools that say they don't offer athletic scholarships and do are in violation of the league, Union does not do that.

Comment

The Curseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                          It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by union07 View Post
                            Hockey players are not treated any differently than any other student in the financial aid process. Union doesn't offer any scholarships beyond merit based scholarships that are determined by a prospective student's academic attributes so if a hockey player qualifies for that, beyond need based aid, then they receive a scholarship. If they don't qualify academically for a merit based scholarship then they don't receive it.

Schools that say they don't offer athletic scholarships and do are in violation of the league, Union does not do that.
                            Uh ... actually Union does, in a back door sort of way. They are called loans and only foreign students are eligible. And the loans can be paid back at the recipients leisure or not at all. Go back and research the threads about ten years ago when this policy was instituted in the Roger Hull era.

Comment

That may have been the policy under Roger Hull and the then Dean of Admissions, Dan Lundquist, but it is certainly not the policy anymore. 10 years is a long time ago and a lot has changed in that time.

International students (Canadian or otherwise) are offered loans, scholarships when they are warranted and grants while domestic students are offered loans, federal loans, grants and scholarships when they are merited. There are no athletic scholarships in a front or back door way.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                                Uh ... actually Union does, in a back door sort of way. They are called loans and only foreign students are eligible. And the loans can be paid back at the recipients leisure or not at all. Go back and research the threads about ten years ago when this policy was instituted in the Roger Hull era.
                                Any international students are eligible for these loans/grants, so they are not athletic based scholarships.. just a happy coincidence that some of the hockey players can get them . But keep in mind that prior to this, there was essentially NO financial aid offered by the school to foreign students, which made it more than a little difficult to attract hockey players from north of the border. I'm pretty sure every other non-scholly school in ECAC has something similar, so it really just evens the playing field.
                                UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Working...
                                X