Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic City!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic Cit

IMO the main reason the rivalry has ratcheted up is that (finally) both teams are fighting for a top finish in the league and not just local bragging rights. For most of the first 15 years of U's D-1 existence, they just haven't been able to fulfill their half of the bargain. As a result, RPI mostly looked at the games expecting to win and hoping they wouldn't suffer an embarrassing loss to an inferior opponent. U on the other hand, would take the games very seriously and play extra to hard to salvage some respect from a season that all to often was going down the tubes. This started to change 4-5 years ago when RPI took a serious talent dip and U started to get better. Is nice to see both programs on the upswing and hopefully fighting for top 4 in the league, PWR points, etc. And, yes, from what I saw this weekend, the other teams in the league should be wary coming to the Capital District.
    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

• Re: Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic Cit

It's not unusual for there to be a disconnect in rivalry perception, is it? Example: RPI according to Wicked has long considered Clarkson to be their arch rival whereas I would have to guess that Clarkson would consider SLU to be theirs. In any event, if there is a rivalry at the moment more intense than U / RPI in the ECAC, I'd like to know. Well OK maybe on paper, Yale / Harvard but do either of their respective communities really care? Yale / Princeton? I think not, and so on down the line.

No one escaped unscathed this weekend, teams, coaches, referees, timekeepers or fans. I think it took its toll on everyone, but wasn't it awesome? I do think that both CD programs cannot but help each other once they've shifted their focus to external forces. It's been talked about at least potentially but it looks like it may now be the real deal. Fear the CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
        It's not unusual for there to be a disconnect in rivalry perception, is it? Example: RPI according to Wicked has long considered Clarkson to be their arch rival whereas I would have to guess that Clarkson would consider SLU to be theirs. In any event, if there is a rivalry at the moment more intense than U / RPI in the ECAC, I'd like to know. Well OK maybe on paper, Yale / Harvard but do either of their respective communities really care? Yale / Princeton? I think not, and so on down the line.

No one escaped unscathed this weekend, teams, coaches, referees, timekeepers or fans. I think it took its toll on everyone, but wasn't it awesome? I do think that both CD programs cannot but help each other once they've shifted their focus to external forces. It's been talked about at least potentially but it looks like it may now be the real deal. Fear the CD.
        Most Clarkson fans consider SLU as their primary rival, but some consider RPI as such.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

How about Harvard/Cornell? Maybe Cornell/Colgate?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            How about Harvard/Cornell? Maybe Cornell/Colgate?
            I didn't mean to be inclusive in my list, but if those rivalries reach the level of interest and emotion as we saw this weekend, so much the better.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxMan7 View Post
              hmm well if it's true that the red light can't go on if time has expired then i suppose i feel slightly less devastated about the loss. still need video replay though.
              I know this is old news now but it looks like the red light actually did not go on.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxMan7 View Post
                I know this is old news now but it looks like the red light actually did not go on.
                Correct - the red light did not go on, however the puck went in before the green light went on. (This was called wrong by WRPI who said the red light came on) All the lights are tied to the clock - if the puck is in before the green light is on (which the video shows) then it's in before the time is up. In this case it was so close to time expiring that the reaction time of the goal judge was not quick enough to push his button and turn on the red light before time expired and locked out his controls.
                APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  I was under the assumption it was mandatory this year. Guess not. Hopefully all the arenas get it soon. Right now I know Clarkson and Cornell have it, RPI has it when TWCS is at HFH, Quinnipiac also has it, and I don't know about the others.
                  From what I've heard, video goal review was supposed to be implemented this year by ECAC teams. However, the economic problems caused the league to let it slide and now it looks like next season will have it. Also, the requirement is only for cameras directly above the nets.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                  ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                  East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
                  Northeast Regional:
                  West Regional: 2015, 2021
                  Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                  Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                    Correct - the red light did not go on, however the puck went in before the green light went on. (This was called wrong by WRPI who said the red light came on) All the lights are tied to the clock - if the puck is in before the green light is on (which the video shows) then it's in before the time is up. In this case it was so close to time expiring that the reaction time of the goal judge was not quick enough to push his button and turn on the red light before time expired and locked out his controls.
                    ok fair enough. now about those penalties...

Comment

Appert suspended one game:

http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...y-ecac-hockey/
                      LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Associate head coach Rick Bennett will be inducted into Providence College's athletic hall of fame come March. Congratulations, Rick!

Comment

Indeed. Before the weekend, I was thinking these games would be much more intense and highly-touted if they were played in late January or early February. Having them later in the season when the ECAC is at the beginning or middle of its stretch run would definitely bring much more instense and electric atmospheres.

That said, I still loved the feeling at each game. Messa was packed to the point where it was uncomfortable (so you knew RPI was in town) and for the first time in my life, I even thought HFH was getting a little rowdy (it helped that I was harassed by a few giddy RPI fans on my way out) - heck, it almost felt like Clarkson was in town. There was a definite "playoff intensity" at both games - that's the first time I ever felt that in November.
                          Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

The intensity of the Union-RPI rivalry is remarkable when one looks back to the sixties and the days of club hockey at Union. From a ragtag lineup of New England preppies (albeit some very good players from the likes of St.George's, Pomfret, and Deerfield to name a few) to today's team ranked with hockey's most storied programs, Union hockey has come a long way. Houston Fieldhouse (where the club often played) was a pretty dreary place with just a few carloads of fans mostly from the Psi U house at Union. Reading of the mayhem that prevails now at Houston and Achilles leaves one almost incredulous.
                            The storyline of Union hockey is still incomplete, but what a storyline it is!

Comment

Suprised there hasn't been more chatter this week. This weekends games are looking like barnburners-Brown's playing as well as anyone in the league and Yale's ranked second in the country. I'm very excited to see the team play on national TV on Sunday. Have there been any updates on Presizniuk's thumb injury?

Comment

He has been skating...hopefully he will be ready to play. It sounds as if we will need him, Ingoldsby is out with an injury and Nate said a second defenseman might also be out but didn't name names.

I will be watching Sunday on ESPNU, really looking forward to seeing the team on national TV!

Comment

Working...
                                X