Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic City!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic Cit

My point exactly! It's ridiculous that fans on different sites say the refs are against them. Never do we feel they are "for" us but often we feel slighted. It's a common thread amongst fans in all sports at all levels. The same phenomena happens with national broadcasts when the announcers are not homers. The fan always feels the guy calling the game is biased, when he is actually being honest and not clouded by any team loyalty. It's a foul if the ref calls it, play on if there is no call. The system as it stands is better then no system at all...sure, maybe it can be improved upon, but 'tilll then this is what we have, so you have to roll with the punches.

Comment

• Re: Union College Dutchmen Hockey 2010-11: There's one way and that's to Atlantic Cit

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
      I wasn't calling out RPI fans, I don't think there's a thread going that does not rail against the refs, this one included. It's just that there isn't much we can do about it so why get bent out of shape?
      Its called passion....both schools have some of the best and most loyal fans in college hockey I would be disappointed if they didn't react as they do.I don't think it could get any better than this past weekend 2 very good teams playing 2 different styles that in the end no matter what the score was or what the calls were in my book was a draw...advantage nobody....Plus its FUN who wants to take everything in stride thats boring.....Best of luck the rest of the year.....and a speedy recovery to Adam P
      What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm still devastated and it's now Monday. Not going to get over this loss but gotta move on somehow. Lots of games to play.
        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by OsecnUC View Post
          Never do we feel they are "for" us but often we feel slighted.
          As I wrote in the first post of the current RPI thread, I recall a time back in 1985.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

We all talk about the refs and training and best technology avaiable. Some of these guys if you go to the ECAC website and look them up are very acchmoplished. They should have no problem working this level of hockey from what there bio's say. Come on Feola worked the god dam olympics for christ sake. There should be no problems in these games for some of these guys. There are some that are very good and do a good job. I feel that sat night was a fair contest, friday on the other hand is a tough pill to swallow. Union fans if there is a way to get a tape of the game on sat should look at those two calls. Both dangerous, both needed to be called, doesnt matter who commited the foul. If it was the other way and RPI took the penalty, it needed to be called. I hope both teams do well and that the NCAA touniment has more than three ECAC teams going. That would be amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyguy View Post
              We all talk about the refs and training and best technology avaiable. Some of these guys if you go to the ECAC website and look them up are very acchmoplished. They should have no problem working this level of hockey from what there bio's say. Come on Feola worked the god dam olympics for christ sake. There should be no problems in these games for some of these guys. There are some that are very good and do a good job. I feel that sat night was a fair contest, friday on the other hand is a tough pill to swallow. Union fans if there is a way to get a tape of the game on sat should look at those two calls. Both dangerous, both needed to be called, doesnt matter who commited the foul. If it was the other way and RPI took the penalty, it needed to be called. I hope both teams do well and that the NCAA touniment has more than three ECAC teams going. That would be amazing.
              The complete Saturday game is online at RPI TV as well as short files with the tying and winning goals http://www.rpitv.org/productions/339...ockey-vs-union.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

perfect. thank you

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyguy View Post
                  The game is available on RPI-TV's website: www.rpitv.org

Obviously these guys are accomplished, and I'd say most (if not all) of them have a number of years of hockey experience each. Always remember, though, that there is human error, especially with the game moving so quickly (quicker than football, basketball, most of the other sports), and these guys have to make split second decisions. It's not always going to be right, and sometimes we can make their environment very hostile.

It would be nice if both of us (probably along with Yale given their status) make it to the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                    Obviously these guys are accomplished, and I'd say most (if not all) of them have a number of years of hockey experience each. Always remember, though, that there is human error, especially with the game moving so quickly (quicker than football, basketball, most of the other sports), and these guys have to make split second decisions. It's not always going to be right, and sometimes we can make their environment very hostile.
                    Yep.
                    I don't see the need to cry about their decisions, claim conspiracy, or try to show them up by pulling out video tapes right after a game. All show close mindedness and a lack of class. The refs do their best each game, each call. It is a human factor of the game, and part of what makes the game great. Athletes, at all levels, will make mistakes and so will refs. Sometimes it works to your team's advantage and sometimes against.

Comment

Add in the fact that these guys are skating at what I consider a creditable pace and if I'm not mistaken, they don't have subs jumping over the boards to sub for them every 30 or so seconds. I hope I'm not guilty of starting a zebra love fest, heaven forbid.

Getting back to the games this weekend, RPI would never have had a chance to "score" Friday night had the Union player, and I'm not sure who it was, not attempted an ill advised long distance clear / ENG shot which resulted in the icing faceoff in their D Zone. Also, on Saturday night and just before the tieing goal, a key faceoff was called for just outside the RPI blue line for what I though might have been a Union hand pass. Did anyone catch that and is my recall correct? I don't have the time or stomach to watch the RPI TV recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                        Add in the fact that these guys are skating at what I consider a creditable pace and if I'm not mistaken, they don't have subs jumping over the boards to sub for them every 30 or so seconds. I hope I'm not guilty of starting a zebra love fest, heaven forbid.

Getting back to the games this weekend, RPI would never have had a chance to "score" Friday night had the Union player, and I'm not sure who it was, not attempted an ill advised long distance clear / ENG shot which resulted in the icing faceoff in their D Zone. Also, on Saturday night and just before the tieing goal, a key faceoff was called for just outside the RPI blue line for what I though might have been a Union hand pass. Did anyone catch that and is my recall correct? I don't have the time or stomach to watch the RPI TV recording.
                        Saturday night, we had started up from behind our goal line with about 25 seconds remaining, and the play was continuous until 00.2. Yes, there was a hand pass, but your team had iced the puck (which, on the PK, you're allowed to do) on the ensuing faceoff.

Sometimes we play short shift, and sometimes we play minute-long. One thing's for certain, though, is that our players are very well conditioned, better than I've seen since I started following RPI hockey back in 2004.

As for the "zebra love fest", some of us are so apathetic to the refs hosing us (because it seems to happen all too often), that we are just prone to expecting it.

Comment

The Route 7 rivalry gets some national attention.
                          http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ital_power.php

Comment

Some interesting comments from Nate and Seth in the ECAC blog. Over the years the Troy faithful have many times down-played the rivalry between the schools, chiming in that it is Clarkson they really care about. Over the last 5 years or so, this has waned a bit, most likely due to the fact that Nate has done such a great job improving the program added to the fact that U has the advantage in play during this time period. This substantiates that U is THE rival of RPI

“I think we, as a staff, we have acknowledged that Union is our biggest rival. I know our people throughout history — with our program — would say Clarkson, and things like that, but, you know, Union is our rival. Clarkson’s a good team and an important game, but in our mind — in our players’ minds, and in our coaches’ minds — Union is our biggest rival, and it’s really not close,” emphasized Appert.

Guess the proof's in the pudding.

Comment

Some interesting comments from Nate and Seth in the ECAC blog. Over the years the Troy faithful have many times down-played the rivalry between the schools, chiming in that it is Clarkson they really care about. Over the last 5 years or so, this has waned a bit, most likely due to the fact that Nate has done such a great job improving the program added to the fact that U has the advantage in play during this time period. This substantiates that U is THE rival of RPI

“I think we, as a staff, we have acknowledged that Union is our biggest rival. I know our people throughout history — with our program — would say Clarkson, and things like that, but, you know, Union is our rival. Clarkson’s a good team and an important game, but in our mind — in our players’ minds, and in our coaches’ minds — Union is our biggest rival, and it’s really not close,” emphasized Appert.

Obviously many of the RPI fans will still consider CCT the real rival, and after their actions October 30th, I'm still under that mindset. However, one thing I think would be very entertaining is a Leaman/Appert barfight. After the comments in the press after each game, it's safe to say that, between those two teams, it's on. I'd say there's no doubt about the feeling of the players and the coaches.

Comment

The main reason many RPI fans (and posters) have viewed CCT as the chief rival is because of the natural academic rivalry that two in-state/regional engineering schools have. Add in Clarkson's powerhouse puck teams of the '90s and its no wonder why it has historically been a rivalry.

That said, anyone who witnessed this year's RPI/U games understands that an intense rivalry exists. I think that as programs ebb and flow, the rivalries do as well. I've been a rabid fan of RPI since the 80's and I actually view Cornell as my most hated team.

All of this of course ignores the obvious box office advances both schools are enjoying thanks to this natural crosstown rivalry. Its great for the teams and the league. The way both teams are playing, ECAC squads will not be relishing their trips to the C.D. this year.
                                Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 11-17-2010, 09:27 AM.
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X