Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College 2010-2011 In-Season Thread: Long Live The "Eagle" Empire!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College 2010-2011 In-Season Thread: Long Live The "Eagle" Empire!

oh boy..stirring the hornets nest with the Exter talk..ballsy haha

I know forechecking when I see it, and apparently so to the BC players, and so would anyone that actually watched the games this past weekend. As far as the the Cross injury goes...the only really huge hit that I saw a BC player hobble afterwards was the Ross hip check infront of the BC bench which was an entirely legal hit. Can someone remind me, in a straight forward objective manner, as to what the hit was like that injured Cross?

No one wants to see a fellow hockey player get injured, and to say that the Merrimack squad is a bunch of goons based on a player getting injured is a little bogus. Unforeseen injuries happen from legal hard hits...that's hockey.

I have the upmost faith and confidence that Eaves had no intention of doing what he did. I wouldn't wish a 2 week coma on my worst enemies let a lone a fellow sportsman and find it impossible to believe that Eaves did what he did intentionally.
    Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post

I know forechecking when I see it, and apparently so to the BC players, and so would anyone that actually watched the games this past weekend. As far as the the Cross injury goes...the only really huge hit that I saw a BC player hobble afterwards was the Ross hip check infront of the BC bench which was an entirely legal hit. Can someone remind me, in a straight forward objective manner, as to what the hit was like that injured Cross?

No one wants to see a fellow hockey player get injured, and to say that the Merrimack squad is a bunch of goons based on a player getting injured is a little bogus. Unforeseen injuries happen from legal hard hits...that's hockey.

I have the upmost faith and confidence that Eaves had no intention of doing what he did. I wouldn't wish a 2 week coma on my worst enemies let a lone a fellow sportsman and find it impossible to believe that Eaves did what he did intentionally.
      Agreed. That's why I brought up the Exter incident. I don't believes Eaves intended to injure him just like I don't believe the hit that injured Cross was with intention to injure.

Comment

Can we stop talking about Merrimack now? I don't know if it was Steve, Salvo, or someone else who brought it up... but whoever it was, cut the bleep.

UNH tonight - love it. It's always one of the most exciting home games of the year when UNH comes to town. I think the way BC plays tonight will tell us a lot about how this regular season is going to go. If BC comes out, fires on all cylinders and smokes 'em then we may see the 30+ win season people were predicting. If they struggle, we may be in for another one of those up and down first halves, especially with how difficult the schedule is.

100%, it must be Muse tonight, no doubt.
        BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
        -
        Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

the only really huge hit that I saw a BC player hobble afterwards was the Ross hip check infront of the BC bench which was an entirely legal hit.
          You're a buffoon. While no one is complaining about this particular play because the BC player was not hurt (either J Whitney or Mullane that got the brunt of it) the Merrimack player stuck out his leg when the BC player made a move around him and gave him a knee-to-knee hit. "Entirely legal"? Only in a dream world. I tend to really give a lot of latitude to players for this particular hit because it is a reactionary type of movement that is difficult to stop yourself from doing and is also somewhat dangerous to the player putting his leg out there. But to say it is "entirely legal" goes to show you that you either didn't see the hit or don't know what the hell you're talking about. Or both.

Time to move on.
          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Is the UNH game on TV at all? NHPTV?
            Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
              SteveF is a fool. He can't get over the days where Merrimack, under Serino, had some goons. It is a class program now with a BC coach running the squad. I mean the fact they think he would condone goonery against his alma mater let alone anyone is just foolish. He cannot give credit where credit is due. Obviously, Merrimack has no where near the talent BC does, but they are more skilled than they have been.
              Two knee on knee hits that I saw in the first 30 minutes of Friday night & an injured captain say hello!

As I said, to have 2 games with Merrimack and only 1 cheap shot caused injury has to be considered a win. BTW it is no doubt that players go after Cross' knee with his history, I've seen too many incidents directed at him in 2+ years to think otherwise.

But enough Merrimack, UNH games are always fun and as Joe said will be a good barometer for how the first half of our RS will go.

Comment

Not sure where the haha comes into play as nothing about that or the subsequent weeks was funny. I really don't even feel like referencing the accidental collision of two players going for a puck because it really gets my blood boiling given what happened after that in the game and what this board was like. It was unfortunate to say the least, but I think it's best if it were left out of the discussion. It was a really touchy subject and probably still would be.

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                No TV according to Hockey East

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                BTW it is no doubt that players go after Cross' knee with his history, I've seen too many incidents directed at him in 2+ years to think otherwise.
                I agree.

Comment

Not sure where the haha comes into play as nothing about that or the subsequent weeks was funny. I really don't even feel like referencing the accidental collision of two players going for a puck because it really gets my blood boiling given what happened after that in the game and what this board was like. It was unfortunate to say the least, but I think it's best if it were left out of the discussion. It was a really touchy subject and probably still would be.

Originally posted by Zudnic View Post
                  No TV according to Hockey East

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                  BTW it is no doubt that players go after Cross' knee with his history, I've seen too many incidents directed at him in 2+ years to think otherwise.
                  I agree.

Comment

BTW it is no doubt that players go after Cross' knee with his history, I've seen too many incidents directed at him in 2+ years to think otherwise

I agree.[/QUOTE]

I would very seriously doubt that... Players dont think like that and if they did, they would be outcasts.

Comment

sorry, one more from me

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                      while young Mr. Salvo might be prone to exaggeration (astounding, really?), Wey noticed the forechecks “They have a really good coach,” BC defenseman Patrick Wey said. “He throws a lot of different looks at us, a couple forechecks we don’t usually see.” So maybe it was some combination of both.
                      [/url]
                      well sure. you'll notice i said most of the game. especially since your article references friday where BC had the lead. if you try to trap while you are losing, the other team will just never leave their own zone. so clearly they have to send in a forechecker at times. however, i even commented to a fellow poster at the time when dumoulin was behind his own net with the puck and the lead and MC was sitting back 5 guys in the neutral zone waiting for him to come out - i'm curious why he even bothered to skate it up at that point! on saturday, a much different story, MC lead wire to wire thanks to an early pp goal; so their strategy was a little more simplified - more trap, and slightly less cherry picking even.

i think the trap is disgusting. but i'll give dennehy some credit that he is creative in mixing it up a bit throughout the game. i cant tell if he has different lines playing different schemes or just changes his strategy based on the conditions in the game. but it certainly resembles more of a football defense calling different defenses on different plays than a hockey system.

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                      SteveF is a fool. He can't get over the days where Merrimack, under Serino, had some goons. It is a class program now with a BC coach running the squad. I mean the fact they think he would condone goonery against his alma mater let alone anyone is just foolish. He cannot give credit where credit is due. Obviously, Merrimack has no where near the talent BC does, but they are more skilled than they have been.
                      whatever you say, bobby boxscore reader. i'll take it you didnt see either game; because nothing you said, while cute, refutes what i said. sure dennehy is better than serino (low standards much?) and they have some better kids sprinkled on their roster than before (when they had dog crap). but despite your cuccis, bartons, dacostas, and brodhags.. the roster is still bottom heavy with older/bigger canadians who play a much different style than the younger/smaller prep school kids. the older kids have little to no top end talent and are out there solely to hit, hurt, and slow down the smaller players.

the cheap hits have already been documented in the last few posts, but i would also add flanagan's absurd goaltender interference call from saturday night that mostly resembled a randy savage elbow drop onto parker milner. so yeah, they have a long way to go before they arent called merrihack anymore.

MC has 28 kids with an average age 22. BC has 24 kids with an average age 20. MC has 1 kid under 20 (a goalie who never plays), and 16 kids over 22 (max 24). BC has 9 kids under 20 and 6 kids over 22 (max 22). keep in mind, only 2 of the 6 kids over 22 on BC's roster are over 6'0 (paul carey at 6'1 and venti a goalie who never plays), the rest are smaller skill players; and they are all from the US. whereas MC has 9 kids over 22 who are over 6'0; and 9 of them are from canada.

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
                      Can we stop talking about Merrimack now? I don't know if it was Steve, Salvo, or someone else who brought it up... but whoever it was, cut the bleep.
                      sorrie, again
                      “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                      Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                      Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                      National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Ouch.

Comment

D sloppiness is becoming a problem. Not so much defense overall (the goals allowed numbers are low) but occasional costly brain farts and bad plays. There was also a sequence where within 30 seconds MacLeod and Samuelsson both failed to hold the blue line while BC was cycling. Little things like that are the difference between wins and losses at the moment.

Muse was good but that 2nd goal he probably should have had. DiGiorno outplayed him, he made a few really good saves especially in the first period.

Looking forward to the Vermont series (any TV?), although looking even more forward to Maine at home in two weeks.
                          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                          -
                          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

bummer. real close game. without getting the merrihack fans in a tizzy, i thought UNH's forecheck was unreal. 3 guys in the zone most times? they had wey pinned down behind the net all night and made it very tough for all our d-men to start the breakout.

that first period was insane. i'm not sure how the puck didnt find the back of the net. there was about 3 or 4 wide open looks that just simply missed the net or hit digornio while he was out of the play. i didnt see too many great saves out of him but he was certainly lucky when it counted. there is some palpable frustration on the ice out there, jimmy hayes needs to find the back of the net soon before he explodes on someone... otherwise that line was phenomenal all night (despite the goal against)

it is mildly ironic that some of us have complained about penalties all season long and they finally take none and still lose. oops. oh well, on to vermont.
                            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
                            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
                            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
                            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

Where is Bill Arnold?? If this kid does not get on the milk carton... well....

Comment

Bump.

Comment

Working...
                                X