Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College 2010-2011 In-Season Thread: Long Live The "Eagle" Empire!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College 2010-2011 In-Season Thread: Long Live The "Eagle" Empire!

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
    Perfect opportunity for Merrimack to impose their will on BC and demonstrate their better conditioning, stronger forecheck, outmuscling capabilities, and overall better team.
    You forgot better coaching...

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
    See you in November.
    See you in April.

... actually, we probably won't.

Lesson #1 in college hockey, don't shoot your wad over anything BC doesn't do in October through February.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      You forgot better coaching...

See you in April.

... actually, we probably won't.

Lesson #1 in college hockey, don't shoot your wad over anything BC doesn't do in October through February.
      touche'...........you would think they'd get it by now

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
        Any way you slice it, it was a close pair of games, and on paper, especially at home, either one would have expected BC to fare much better, or Merrimack is playing a good bit better than they used to. If one accepts that BC is a "better team" by virtue of consistency, historical performance and championships and whatnot, then certainly in order to have split the weekend and lost by only a goal, Merrimack must have outplayed BC. If both teams had played as well as they could, and BC is indeed better than Merrimack, then certainly BC would have won both games, no-- and perhaps more convincingly-- as they have done many times in the past? So even if we admit that BC is much better than Merrimack, Merrimack came closer to playing as well as they are capable of playing than BC did.

If that's not the definition of "outplaying", what would be?
        The problem is, I was only talking about Friday night. Not the two game series. I am disappointed BC lost Saturday, but in no way am I surprised. MC has turned into a great home team and BC is now 0-2-1 in the last three at MC. BC also lost early last season at MC. Congrats to the Warriors.

In years past BC has relied on their speed against slower teams like Merrimack to avoid getting bogged down in the forecheck, this has changed.
        The only thing that's changed is Merrimack has a better coach and a better team. Kudos to you guys. Nobody is taking any away from how MC played, but BC still has the horses to do what they've almost always done under York.

We saw a much better conditioned Merrimack squad than ever before, a squad that kept pace with the speedy Eagles and made them play THEIR game...a physical one. The forecheck was astounding, BC got completely outmuscled and for the first time I can ever remember Merrimack forced BC to play their game not the other way around....that is why I say Merrimack outplayed BC and I think there's a lot of merit behind that.
        Didn't see Saturday's game, so I can't comment on that, but what I do know from watching them all these years is that they are at their best when they play physical. I think there might me some misconception that BC is all speed. That hasn't been the case. When they play physical, they are obviously even tough to beat.

Comment

re: Friday's game

Did anyone get a good luck on the first no-goal? It was called a goal originally and from where I was sitting it didn't even look like the BC player was looking at the puck. Didn't understand that one.

2nd no goal: Benedetto blows the play dead because he can't see the puck, yet the other ref had a clear view of the play. I don't understand that.

Finally, can someone clarify the new contact to the head rule for me? I thought it was supposed to be a 5 minute major and automatic game misconduct, no? I know Samuelsson had this assessed to him in a game at Denver, yet I've seen no consistency with this (shocker). I hate the new rule and would prefer if they didn't make any of these 5 minute calls, but if it's a rule and you're gonna call it...be consistent. There was a blatant head shot that resulted in a 2 minute penalty for elbowing on MC. Why no 5? Isn't an elbow the definition of contact to the head?

Comment

This. Seriously non BC fans reading this thread. BC could squeeze into the HE playoffs in the Dave Hendrickson Memorial 8th spot and I still wouldn't count them out of contention for a spot in the Frozen Four. Has history taught all of you nothing???? And I'm saying this sincerely, not trying to be a wiseass.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
              This. Seriously non BC fans reading this thread. BC could squeeze into the HE playoffs in the Dave Hendrickson Memorial 8th spot and I still wouldn't count them out of contention for a spot in the Frozen Four. Has history taught all of you nothing???? And I'm saying this sincerely, not trying to be a wiseass.
              Stupid is as stupid does, scarlet, you know that. It was hilarious reading sandiegoblkbear shoot his hillbilly wad in a hissy fit on the BC thread Saturday night just 28 hours or so after BC raised a national title banner. LOL Holy Christ that made my night. And it's not like this doesn't happen EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I told you all this was going to happen again and yet some BC fanboys were talking about Kreider scoring 40 goals and BC losing 2-5 games all year leading up to the season.

One last thought regarding Merrimack. Do you think maybe we can let them win on the road before we verify that this team "is for real"? They won 4 or 5 road games all of last season and I don't think the first one came until February.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I told you all this was going to happen again and yet some BC fanboys were talking about Kreider scoring 40 goals and BC losing 2-5 games all year leading up to the season.
                I'm certainly not surprised they lost at MC. I had them winning at home against MC and also beating UML and UNH at home. I specifically left out the game at MC as I thought it could be a tie or loss. I full expect BC to win the next two home games and be 6-2 (4-1). Not really sure why the MC fans are so fiesty right now nor do I understand the Maine fan's issues. As for Kreider, I had him scoring 18

One last thought regarding Merrimack. Do you think maybe we can let them win on the road before we verify that this team "is for real"? They won 4 or 5 road games all of last season and I don't think the first one came until February.
                Depends on what for real means. For real as in they can challenge for a home ice spot? Point taken though.

Comment

Sorry for the drop-in question, but I saw only minor mentions of them in browsing the first 10 pages of this thread. Can anyone offer impressions of the Hayes brothers after the first few weeks of the season?
                  "I try to be 100% realistic outside of the arena and 100% enthusiastic inside the arena. Not saying that's the only way, the right way, the best way, or even a good way - just my way." -LynahFan

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                    Playing the body against BC? Wow, crown Dennehy coach of the year. What a game plan. I mean, he has to be the first coach to come up with that plan. It couldn't have been the fact that they played in October and BC had an off night, no way.

Merrimack is a brutal place to play. It's not the crowd either, it's the fact that their arena wouldn't stack up against D-III NESCAC arenas. But excuses aside, BC never plays well at Merrimack. Fact is they are one game ahead of where they were last year and they have played a tougher schedule to start.

BC has one more game against Merrimack at 4pm the day after Thanksgiving. If BC gets up for that one I will be surprised. A betting man would take Merrimack. The atmosphere will be on par with a Squirt A game. 4pm on the Friday of Thanksgiving? Perfect opportunity for Merrimack to impose their will on BC and demonstrate their better conditioning, stronger forecheck, outmuscling capabilities, and overall better team.
                    Kenny McKormick? Oh my God, I thought they killed you....those ********!
                    You do realize that Dennehey was named HE Coach of the Year last year (along with Umile)? Glad you think he should already win the award this year too! Wey thought MC threw a couple of different forecheck schemes at the Eagles and paid a nice compliment to Dennehey.

The whole "MDC rink" schtick? That's been beaten to death. Honestly, nice to hear some positive feedback from other BC posters about much of the renovation (although it has always been a meat locker in there).

I do remember discussion about when you might want to catch BC on the schedule. Certainly seems to be a consensus that Oct is best; they've had a couple of bumpy starts starts, but their finishes...well we all know that story. It would not surprise me to see that story happen again.
                    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by jcarter7669 View Post
                      I know BC is awesome, when do you think they will start to make their run at that 204 mark? I'm thinking York waits until they need to avg at least 10gpg before he lets the offense loose...
                      This is going to be a very different year. Right now BC leads the nation allowing only 1.67 Goals per game. If they keep that up about 125 goals would give them a shot at a great record.

Comment

Originally posted by kennedy View Post
                        Sorry for the drop-in question, but I saw only minor mentions of them in browsing the first 10 pages of this thread. Can anyone offer impressions of the Hayes brothers after the first few weeks of the season?
                        Kevin Hayes has impressed. We all know what Jimmy is capable of and he had a nice start but had a slow weekend. Kevin Hayes has some great wheels for a kid his size, excellent snap/wrist shot on a few goals of his that I've seen already, and can dangle some as well. Combine the skills with the size and he could become frighteningly good in a short time. Probably the best forward this year not named Atkinson or Gibbons through 6 games. He's been consistently good.
                        Originally posted by reBlur
                        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                          Kevin Hayes has impressed. We all know what Jimmy is capable of and he had a nice start but had a slow weekend. Kevin Hayes has some great wheels for a kid his size, excellent snap/wrist shot on a few goals of his that I've seen already, and can dangle some as well. Combine the skills with the size and he could become frighteningly good in a short time. Probably the best forward this year not named Atkinson or Gibbons through 6 games. He's been consistently good.
                          I know his teamates are impressed. I've had two of them, in separate conversations, comment to me on his great hands and tell me they would be surprised if he isn't one and done. Although I can't say that I that know him well, I have spoken to him and he really seems to be a nice kid with his head on straight. Sure was a hustling, heads up play to get the assist Friday night on Mullane's goal.
                          sigpicHalf of what he says goes way over my head. The other half goes way, way over my head."

Comment

Hey what do you know, another BU story/picture on the front page--written by Scott Weighart. Who could have ever seen that coming?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by jdevoejr View Post
                              I know his teamates are impressed. I've had two of them, in separate conversations, comment to me on his great hands and tell me they would be surprised if he isn't one and done. Although I can't say that I that know him well, I have spoken to him and he really seems to be a nice kid with his head on straight. Sure was a hustling, heads up play to get the assist Friday night on Mullane's goal.
                              zero chance one and done

Comment

always good to see stan bowman chime in...oh wait

nevermind

Comment

Working...
                                X