Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boston College 2010-2011 In-Season Thread: Long Live The "Eagle" Empire!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Boston College 2010-2011 In-Season Thread: Long Live The "Eagle" Empire!

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
    Well.......the pinheads don't want to give BU or Maine real-time credit where credit is due.

Merrimack 4 BC 2.........lol.
    It's October you donkey.

Comment

Originally posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post

btw, about the rink: the upgrades were solid, but my gripe - it's freezing in there, and there's a constant gust from (I presume) the AC that blows right on you if you're in one of the first few sections of wooden bleachers.
      I'd rather it be cold and actually have an AC than risk having to postpone games due to fog
      Before there was a band there was "the drum guy"

@SalvucciM

Comment

The Mack is the real deal. Took us out of our game two nights in a row.
        That was the best I've ever seen Cannata play against the Eagles. If not for his blunder of leaving the net in a tie game on Friday, MC would be 1-0-1 versus BC. The Mack earned everything they got this weekend, and handed us the W in game 1. Two great games to watch.
        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
          With a powerplay that is respectable up to this point, they are actually well ahead of schedule.
          BC's powerplay has been EXCELLENT by my estimation thus far.
          Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
          That was the best I've ever seen Cannata play against the Eagles.
          Canada looked ridiculous Friday. It took a 2 minute long 5-on-3, three shots in a row, and a perfect roofed backhand shot to finally beat him. Good game Friday.

Didn't make it Saturday. Glad I didn't apparently.

Lowell usually gives us issues but holy hell, they are awful this year. Don't think that game should be much of a problem.
          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

16% powerplay conversion rate isn't very good; and certainly isn't excellent for the talent level they are trotting out there. losing SW and TC off the PP units hurt this weekend. I thought the PP unit was too close together on most of their attempts; the 5 on 3s were the worst. They made it too easy for one defender to cover multiple forwards. Something is just not working offensively right now, i have faith they will remedy it - but you just wonder how much drive is actually there after last year.
            “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Originally posted by shrader
            Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
            Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
            National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Comment

For those of us who "live and die" for our favorite college hockey team, there comes a time when that is secondary. And that time came to Pioneer fans this weekend.
              GRAND FORKS, N.D. — University of Denver center Jesse Martin sustained three neck fractures in Saturday night's hockey game at North Dakota and was transferred to a Minneapolis hospital this morning where doctors are deciding if emergency surgery is required to relieve swelling of the spinal cord, the player's father said.

Read more: DU's Martin facing emergency surgery for broken neck - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz13z0LjWRS

A new thread has been started
              "Pass on your best wishes to Jesse Martin here"
              GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                Lowell usually gives us issues but holy hell, they are awful this year. Don't think that game should be much of a problem.
                I am fairly confident BC will struggle vs. Lowell. It's somewhat astonishing given that they have UVM, Massachusetts, and UML in the conference and yet act stupified (both players and coaches) every single time they get trapped. Gee, what is this trap and how can we break it?
                Originally posted by reBlur
                the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                  Too bad about Cross. I'm curious as to whether all these injuries are because his knee is already messed up or is it just bad luck and anyone would have been injured after getting hit like that last night? Looks like Steve Whitney has a bone bruise and is out tonight as well, so we'll probably see Tommy Atkinson in the lineup. Can't afford another injury, especially on defense. And lastly, what is up with Krieder? After his second half last year, I figured he'd have had 3 or 4 goals by now...
                  Probably a combination with Cross. Bad luck, taken a couple questionable hits, can't seem to avoid being in vulnerable positions. The good thing is no surgery and the worst case scenario is he misses the rest of the first semester.

Kreider: same start as last year, but he's not even generating scoring chances right now.

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                  Are we supposed to be impressed with BC so far??? A loss to Notre Dame and 3-2 win vs. Merrimack at home.......lol. The pinheads over at eagleaction.com seem to think that BU and Maine don't deserve any accolades thus far, but we are supposed to worship the ground that you dweebs walk on? What a joke........
                  Where the **** did this come from? Funny you didn't mention the sweep at Denver or Maine's pathetic performance against Michigan State. To answer the question, no, you're not "supposed" to be impressed with BC right now. I don't think anyone gives a rat's ***. Were you impressed with BC last year when they started 3-2-1? Probably not, ****tard. The real joke is a Maine fan obsessing over a BC message board.

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
                  But they got out played and certainly out muscled most of the game, it took nearly 4 minutes of 5-3 for them to tally their first goal at home.
                  By what measure did BC get outplayed Friday night? MC scored a PP goal and one on a breakaway right after a BC PP. MC took more penalties and were outshot. BTW, the first no goal looked very, very questionable to me. I don't know how they ruled there was a kicking motion on that one. 2nd no goal was just a terrible decision by Benedetto with the other ref having the better look at the play. Your goalie deserves a lot of credit for how he played.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

By what measure did BC get outplayed Friday night? MC scored a PP goal and one on a breakaway right after a BC PP. MC took more penalties and were outshot.
                    To be exact, they were outshot because they took more penalties. One can certainly argue that BC's play forced those penalties, but shots were pretty even (actually a one shot advantage for Merrimack) in the first and third period, and BC piled up a 12-shot advantage in the second over the course of two 5x3 situations, the second of which BC scored on (although MC did take back the lead early in the third). Merrimack also outconverted on the chances it did get, going 1 for 5 compared to BC's 2 for 11. A lot of the credit for that does go to Cannata.

Saturday's game looked a lot like Friday except without the excessive penalties; shots were pretty even, and Merrimack won the special teams battle. This time, that advantage held up, and after losing by one goal on the road they pinned a two-goal loss on the Eagles.

Any way you slice it, it was a close pair of games, and on paper, especially at home, either one would have expected BC to fare much better, or Merrimack is playing a good bit better than they used to. If one accepts that BC is a "better team" by virtue of consistency, historical performance and championships and whatnot, then certainly in order to have split the weekend and lost by only a goal, Merrimack must have outplayed BC. If both teams had played as well as they could, and BC is indeed better than Merrimack, then certainly BC would have won both games, no-- and perhaps more convincingly-- as they have done many times in the past? So even if we admit that BC is much better than Merrimack, Merrimack came closer to playing as well as they are capable of playing than BC did.

If that's not the definition of "outplaying", what would be?

Comment

BC had no answer for the body..none.

In years past BC has relied on their speed against slower teams like Merrimack to avoid getting bogged down in the forecheck, this has changed.

We saw a much better conditioned Merrimack squad than ever before, a squad that kept pace with the speedy Eagles and made them play THEIR game...a physical one. The forecheck was astounding, BC got completely outmuscled and for the first time I can ever remember Merrimack forced BC to play their game not the other way around....that is why I say Merrimack outplayed BC and I think there's a lot of merit behind that.

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                        It's going to be fun to see how many goals this team scores this year. I believe the Hockey East regular season record for team goals (conference games only) is held by BC's 86 team with 203. I can see them breaking that this year.
                        I know BC is awesome, when do you think they will start to make their run at that 204 mark? I'm thinking York waits until they need to avg at least 10gpg before he lets the offense loose...
                        Originally posted by Hokydad
                        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Correct. Of course, the frustrating thing from a BC perspective is that last year against UMass and Vermont in the playoffs, BC didn't just play the physical game with those teams, they beat them at it. They also physically smacked around Maine in January and grinded out results against Lowell and UMass at home in February in slow, chippy games. So we've seen them do it.

Better then than now, I guess, but I'm hoping that we see those adjustments made going forward.

I am enjoying watching York tinker with the lines, I'm sure he won't settle on anything until at least January. For the record, I stated in the preseason thread that I thought York would break up Atkinson/Gibbons/Whitney during league play because the kill-with-speed top line isn't the best weapon against Hockey East opponents.
                          Last edited by joegrav; 11-01-2010, 08:34 AM.
                          BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
                          -
                          Boston College Class of 2010

Comment

In years past BC has relied on their speed against slower teams like Merrimack to avoid getting bogged down in the forecheck, this has changed.

We saw a much better conditioned Merrimack squad than ever before, a squad that kept pace with the speedy Eagles and made them play THEIR game...a physical one. The forecheck was astounding, BC got completely outmuscled and for the first time I can ever remember Merrimack forced BC to play their game not the other way around....that is why I say Merrimack outplayed BC and I think there's a lot of merit behind that.
                            Playing the body against BC? Wow, crown Dennehy coach of the year. What a game plan. I mean, he has to be the first coach to come up with that plan. It couldn't have been the fact that they played in October and BC had an off night, no way.

Merrimack is a brutal place to play. It's not the crowd either, it's the fact that their arena wouldn't stack up against D-III NESCAC arenas. But excuses aside, BC never plays well at Merrimack. Fact is they are one game ahead of where they were last year and they have played a tougher schedule to start.

BC has one more game against Merrimack at 4pm the day after Thanksgiving. If BC gets up for that one I will be surprised. A betting man would take Merrimack. The atmosphere will be on par with a Squirt A game. 4pm on the Friday of Thanksgiving? Perfect opportunity for Merrimack to impose their will on BC and demonstrate their better conditioning, stronger forecheck, outmuscling capabilities, and overall better team.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny View Post
                              Playing the body against BC? Wow, crown Dennehy coach of the year. What a game plan. I mean, he has to be the first coach to come up with that plan. It couldn't have been the fact that they played in October and BC had an off night, no way.

Merrimack is a brutal place to play. It's not the crowd either, it's the fact that their arena wouldn't stack up against D-III NESCAC arenas. But excuses aside, BC never plays well at Merrimack. Fact is they are one game ahead of where they were last year and they have played a tougher schedule to start.

BC has one more game against Merrimack at 4pm the day after Thanksgiving. If BC gets up for that one I will be surprised. A betting man would take Merrimack. The atmosphere will be on par with a Squirt A game. 4pm on the Friday of Thanksgiving? Perfect opportunity for Merrimack to impose their will on BC and demonstrate their better conditioning, stronger forecheck, outmuscling capabilities, and overall better team.
                              wow all I can say is typical.

And since when do arenas make a team play like crap? In years past I would agree with you because the compressors under the ice were crap and the actual quality of the ice its self was junk. Two summers ago they replaced them and the ice is the same quality as BC's. Sounds like a crock of excuses for a team that came out completely flat.

See you in November.

@SalvucciM

Comment

Originally posted by dmjossel View Post
                                Any way you slice it, it was a close pair of games, and on paper, especially at home, either one would have expected BC to fare much better, or Merrimack is playing a good bit better than they used to. If one accepts that BC is a "better team" by virtue of consistency, historical performance and championships and whatnot, then certainly in order to have split the weekend and lost by only a goal, Merrimack must have outplayed BC. If both teams had played as well as they could, and BC is indeed better than Merrimack, then certainly BC would have won both games, no-- and perhaps more convincingly-- as they have done many times in the past? So even if we admit that BC is much better than Merrimack, Merrimack came closer to playing as well as they are capable of playing than BC did.

If that's not the definition of "outplaying", what would be?
                                what's he saying?

Comment

Working...
                                X