X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
    The boxscore indicates that the shots on goal were fairly even, UNH got burned on a short-handed goal but scored one of their own. Stevie Moses had 2 goals on 6 shots and Mike Borisenok had a goal and an assist and a +4. Impressive, again.
    As for the "Milk Carton Boys," John Henrion had a goal on 5 shots on goal and Connor Hardowa had an assist and a +1.
    just out of curiosity, whats a Milk Carton Boy?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
      just out of curiosity, whats a Milk Carton Boy?
      Sorry to be so oblique. I was making a reference (however obscure) to a thread started by a BC poster called the All-Milk-Carton team. The thread identified John Henrion and Connor Hardowa as being huge busts/disappointments in their freshman season. I wanted to make note of the fact that both are having pretty solid sophomore seasons, so far.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
        Sorry to be so oblique. I was making a reference (however obscure) to a thread started by a BC poster called the All-Milk-Carton team. The thread identified John Henrion and Connor Hardowa as being huge busts/disappointments in their freshman season. I wanted to make note of the fact that both are having pretty solid sophomore seasons, so far.
        ah, I see...
        I say ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz to that, and those guys

Comment

I thought the same thing the second I read "thread started by a BC poster "....
          Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
          ECAC Tourney Champs 79
          Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
          Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
          Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
          NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            Don't see any comments on the upcoming game with Cornell. UNH sold out their allotment of tickets (100 I believe), so I know the Wildcats will have some support. My wife and I will be there since we are combining the game with a visit with our daughter who lives in Ithaca. I know it's a 6-7 hour drive for a Friday game so I can understand if few will be making the trek. This will be UNH's first trip to Lynah Rink in 27 years, or since their last year in the ECAC's. I'd have to assume that Cornell is out for some sort of revenge after being toasted by the Wildcats in the Albany Regionals last March. I'm pretty excited about this trip since I've never been to Lynah and never observed the Lynah faithful. I understand I am in for a treat. Any thoughts?
            So Greg...what did you think. How was Lynah and their fans? I didn't realize it had been so long since UNH had made the trip. Hopefully they don't wait another 27 years to go back! Was our D that porous or was it just a case of letting off the gas after opening a big lead?
            GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
              UNH squeaks out a 7-4 win at Lynah. (had a 6-2 lead early in the 3rd). Seems pretty impressive, will be interested to hear some accounts from those in the building. Wish I could have made the trip out, hope those that did have a safe trip home!
              Cornell's first goal was pretty soft, IMHO. The play was on the far post from us (we were on the goal line, more or less), looked like DiGi wasn't tight against the post, shot hit him in the upper body and squirted in.

Looked like a lot of fluky goals last night, on both sides. Couldn't see much of the action on the far end, so couldn't really tell what happened on UNH's first two goals, saw some play in front of the net, then the red light. When the play was in front of us, UNH seemed to pounce on a couple of bad bounces/rebounds, putting one of them in, and Cornell scored one goal (I think their 3rd) on what looked like a funky bounce off a couple of players. Their 4th goal was just a matter of catching UNH on the wrong side of the zone with a 2-man advantage. Puck came loose to an open skater on the near side when all the focus was on the far side. Empty net to shoot at.

Good effort for most of the game from UNH, though. Sislo's eventual game-winner, and Moses's SHG were just hustle plays. As noted, the team did seem to let up with the 4-goal lead in the 3rd. I guess teams have to be sensitive, lest they anger the crybabies about "running up the score", but at the very least, the team needs to keep pushing on defense. If they want to play a dump-and-watch trap style of game when they have the lead, that's fine (worked phenomenally for BU in 2008-09), but they have to get the puck out to center ice first, which UNH was struggling with late in the game. Bad passes and some lazy efforts granted Cornell extended time in the offensive zone, leading to their 2 late goals.

At any rate, great to see Lynah. The drive sucked, though were it not for a family commitment this afternoon, we'd probably have gotten a hotel room in Albany (about halfway home; would make the drives more manageable) and come home this morning. A nice rink, especially if you like the older barns, good pep bands (no canned music!), and loud student sections.
              Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
              -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post

At any rate, great to see Lynah...A nice rink, especially if you like the older barns, good pep bands (no canned music!), and loud student sections.
                No canned music??? Just the pep band??? What an interesting concept for a college game! Do you suppose...nah, never mind.
                (And they wonder why UNH fans don't have a good and original repertoire of cheers.)
                We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                  No canned music??? Just the pep band??? What an interesting concept for a college game! Do you suppose...nah, never mind.
                  (And they wonder why UNH fans don't have a good and original repertoire of cheers.)
                  I would like to say that Cornell had a "good and original repertoire", but it was actually tough to hear them. A lot of "Let's go Red", their rendition of "Rock n' Roll, Part 2" (f-bomb alert; think that would fly at UNH?), and telling the goalie/players (and UNH fans) they suck. The student section was full of red and white (mostly looked to be jerseys, some t-shirts), and the students were active. Not entirely creative. And "Dartmouth Rejects" to UNH fans? Not exactly groundbreaking.

Also, anyone who gives the BU fans crap for doing their "BC Sucks" song at every game regardless of opponent should visit Lynah, and note that one of their first cheers is a "Screw BU" chant. Wow.
                  Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                  -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
                    I thought the same thing the second I read "thread started by a BC poster "....
                    Oh, stop picking on the BC fanboys! They have the greatest team in college hockey history!
                    sigpicSouthern New Hampshire University '95

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                    On a side note, when I found this video I also found some highlights of CC smoking BC in St. Louis. It was even worse than I remember. My God what an abortion that night was. Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                      At any rate, great to see Lynah. The drive sucked, though were it not for a family commitment this afternoon, we'd probably have gotten a hotel room in Albany (about halfway home; would make the drives more manageable) and come home this morning. A nice rink, especially if you like the older barns, good pep bands (no canned music!), and loud student sections.
                      The ride isn't any more fun during the day. My whole body is sore from the 6 hour car ride (weird seeing as how I made it the full 30 hours to Florida).
                      UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Darci...glad you guys made it out to Lynah! Sweet!! Glad the boys could also deliver the W...
                        Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                        ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                        Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                        Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                        Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                        NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
                          Darci...glad you guys made it out to Lynah! Sweet!! Glad the boys could also deliver the W...
                          Ya, it was a fun place to visit and very glad that I made the trip, and the W made it even more worth it.
                          UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

For those of us who "live and die" for our favorite college hockey team, there comes a time when that is secondary. And that time came to Pioneer fans this weekend.
                            GRAND FORKS, N.D. — University of Denver center Jesse Martin sustained three neck fractures in Saturday night's hockey game at North Dakota and was transferred to a Minneapolis hospital this morning where doctors are deciding if emergency surgery is required to relieve swelling of the spinal cord, the player's father said.

Read more: DU's Martin facing emergency surgery for broken neck - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_...#ixzz13z0LjWRS

A new thread has been started
                            "Pass on your best wishes to Jesse Martin here"
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                              You mean like the newspaper gag that they admit borrowing from University of Scranton basketball, a penalty cheer from Michigan (who had taken it from Duke basketball), blackhole chant from Harvard, and rock n' roll part II sieve routine that they didn't start using until 1995 - long after UNH and UML (also heard at NU, UMA, SCSU, and UMD but I can't vouch for dates there). If you travel enough you'll notice how common it is to hear the same or slightly different cheers at various schools, Maine's "Hey buddy, you're outta here!" cheer and Minnesota's "You buddy! You're outta here! [Ya hack! You suck! You worthless piece of xxxx!]", the Bud Song from Wisconsin - played by both Maine and BU, "The Song" was known in the midwest as "Eat 'Em Up" long before BU began using it, etc. Don't forget that any band that plays "Let's Go Blue!" (heard in virtually every hockey arena) is ripping off Michigan. Even some of our bits have found their way to other schools: UNO does the "skate, sit down!" penalty cheer and Niagara the first goal fish throw. I'd love to see them kill the canned music at the Whitt and go band only during stoppage (though I suspect I'm in the minority here) and originality should count for something, but how much is vastly over-rated, what gets the crowd involved should be the biggest criteria - ask all the schools out west who play "In Heaven There Is No Beer" (UMD, MTU, Wisconsin, Iowa State football, etc.) or Michigan who copied nearly the whole Cornell cheer sheet after the Big Red showed them how it was done in the 1991 NCAAs and now have one of the better home crowds in college hockey.

Another factor that often gets skipped over is the high ceiling and wide open walk ways at the Whitt, Lynah has a pretty low roof and walled off hallways, the Alfond a wall that slopes right behind the students (who are shouting down on to the goalie from a balcony), Lowell plays in a building very similar to ours (same construction company) and has a wall that runs between the rink and concessions area from behind the last row of seating up to the ceiling to trap the noise in (picture here). While it won't fix everything, some reflecting sound panels in the rafters (like at the FleetCenter) would be a plus.

Disappearing back in to obscurity in 3... 2... 1...
                              Last edited by ClOuD 9; 11-02-2010, 11:24 AM. Reason: correction on the "See Ya!" penalty cheer
                              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                                Lowell plays in a building very similar to ours (same construction company) and has a wall that runs between the rink and concessions area from behind the last row of seating up to the ceiling to trap the noise in (picture here). While it won't fix everything, some reflecting sound panels in the rafters (like at the FleetCenter) would be a plus.

Disappearing back in to obscurity in 3... 2... 1...
                                Its funny, I've been to Tsongas dozens of times and never really noticed the wall like that. interesting point. I like the wide open-ness of the Whitt, but sound does get lost in there for sure...

There's so little interest in this team right now. What do we attribute that to?

Could it be the ridiculous scheduling with one home game the first month of the season (and first 7 games of the season)? How does something like that happen???

Comment

Working...
                                X