X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
    What a thoroughly enjoyable evening of hockey. The Whit looked nice and clean. All the student sections were filled to the brim with enthusiastic youngsters. The pep band sounded good with a couple new tunes. Red Berenson looked spry and distinguished. Coach Umile's black mock tee didn't jinx the team.

And boy was the hockey exciting. Up and down, speed, sharp passes, amazing saves at both ends. The Cats stayed right with a team with, count them, 13 NHL draft picks. Count the disallowed goal in the first period (supposedly, the ref lost sight of the puck) and you might have had a 4-3 victory. I think the final shots on goal were 47-31 (does that sound right?!) in favor of UNH. Looks like the 2010-11 Wildcats will be competitive with any team.
    Have to say that was one of the most entertaining games I have seen in a long time, lots of end to end action great chances on both ends, and some solid goaltending by both goalies. I think the Cats are showing they can play with the top teams, BC will be a huge test they do look to be one of those specail teams this year. But if the Cats keep getting better every week who knows what will come of this year, but looks like it might be a fun ride

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
      What a thoroughly enjoyable evening of hockey. The Whit looked nice and clean. All the student sections were filled to the brim with enthusiastic youngsters. The pep band sounded good with a couple new tunes. Red Berenson looked spry and distinguished. Coach Umile's black mock tee didn't jinx the team.

And boy was the hockey exciting. Up and down, speed, sharp passes, amazing saves at both ends. The Cats stayed right with a team with, count them, 13 NHL draft picks. Count the disallowed goal in the first period (supposedly, the ref lost sight of the puck) and you might have had a 4-3 victory. I think the final shots on goal were 47-31 (does that sound right?!) in favor of UNH. Looks like the 2010-11 Wildcats will be competitive with any team.
      "stayed right with them"? you guys out shot 'em 48-30 including 8-1 in the OT so it seems to me THEY stayed with you.........looks like it should have been a UNH win but starting with those 3 tough games and playing well at least answers some questions in a positive way up there in Durham

Comment

I have to agree with Sterlippo....we did more than stay with them...accept for their obvious talent on the PP, we pretty much controlled the game....so after 3 games, it seems that UNH is as good as a couple of top rated teams,,,I'm sure Cornell and BC will show us that each game we have to come to play and play for a full 60....exactly how the season will be, a game by game progression to hopefully another successful season..yes, even without a NC I think we've been successful, year in and year out... heck, look at the fun that everyone at the Whitt had last night, a great hockey game!

Comment

UNH's team speed was again very noticable last night!! UNH grabbed lots of loose pucks, went to the net etc.. 1-1-1 against these M-O and UM will pay off down the rd. Cornell lost a bug chunk over the last season, who knows where they will end up. Scrivens and Nash. I think the bigged test yet to come is BC! Also very fast, highly skilled and as seasoned as they come. Very encouraged, and a bit surprized by their ability to use their speed the way they have. A bit more coordination around the net and they will be, and showing that they are, a very very tough team to compete against.

Good stuff-
          GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Great college hockey game for sure. It felt like a March playoff game as opposed to an early season game. Hunwick stood on his head or otherwise UNH gets the W. The cats have a lot of firepower so if you like o-fence then you'll be a happy camper this year. GO CATS the rest of the way.

Thanks for coming east to play us Mr. Berenson. I was surprised you didn't pick up another game while you were here but it makes us feel extra special that you made the trip out just for us. Hope you enjoyed the Whit and the UNH campus and such.
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Very impressed with most of the team last night. Disappointed by the PP and PK, but hopefully they'll focus on that over the next few practices. Digi certainly likes to travel out of the net, which makes me a bit nervous, but I don't think any of the goals were a result of that, so it's hard to find fault with it (for now). Excellent showing by the crowd, I thought, particularly staying for the whole game. I was disappointed to see some fans heading up at the last stoppage in OT (15.4 seconds left), but for the most part, good noise (when prompted) and good showing. The student section was loud and fun (though not particularly varied in cheers, it's great to hear them taking initiative and cheering).

Looking forward to attending a few more games at the Whitt this season.

Comment

Last night's game was thoroughly enjoyable. The Whitt seems as bright as it has been in the last 5 or 6 years. Getting rid of the mold and dirt in the ceiling helps, refinished boards, new glass . . . it all makes for a much more pleasant experience. And the crowd was great, into the game from the opening whistle. And the teams did not disappoint as there was uninterrupted end-to-end action all night long. Very entertaining all and all. Also great to see Red Berenson in the flesh, his first trip to UNH since his first year as a coach back in 1984. I have to admit, I don't remember that game.

As for the team, I thought from the defense out they did a good job all night long. The puck possession time for Michigan in the UNH zone was minimal (except on the PP). The puck seemed to get through the neutral zone pretty quickly and UNH ultimately put a lot of good shots on Hunwick (brother of Bruins d-man Matt, BTW). Thompson's goal that tied things was the result of a great set up by DeSimone. DeSimone seemed to lull the defender as he came down the left wing, then burst by him and centered to a basically uncovered Thompson for the goal. The play I think was evidence of what UNH was able to do all night long against Michigan.

Only negative, and not a big one, was DiGirolamo. Third goal was pretty weak (five-hole) and he looked a bit shaky controlling the puck. But, if I am not mistaken, I believe it was his first ever start at the Whit and against a team like Michigan to boot. So we'll give him the benefit of the doubt. UNH has had great success with goalies over the last 10-15 years and, based on that alone, I have to believe that things will work out with the one we have now.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  It felt like a March playoff game
                  Now how could that be? UNH won this game!

Nice job guys. UNH is going all the way this year. This is the year!!!!!
                  Originally posted by reBlur
                  the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post

Might have felt like a win but it was really a tie.
                    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                      Might have felt like a win but it was really a tie.
                      Whoops. With all the excitement in this thread I just assumed you guys had won!

That'll teach me to be a wise guy!
                      Originally posted by reBlur
                      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

"Doosh"bag.

Anyway, it was great to see Michigan and Mr. Berensen in Durham. It was also a pleasure to watch Hunwick play, the kid is just incredible. The 'Cats dominated play for most of the night. It looks like this team could make some noise this year. Good to see the 4th line take a couple shifts each period. John Henrion is going to be a force. 47 shots on net for the 'Cats against Michigan, they can beat anybody this year.

Comment

Solid game from the Cats last night. The Powerplay definitely worries me...going nearly 6 minutes un-interrupted and not being able to put one in is somewhat embarrassing. Yes, it's an early season game; but it's something that the coaching staff should certainly work on throughout the season.

DiGi looked shaky at some times, stellar at others. I think it's simply a matter of time, literally. If he gets more time, he'll most likely appear more comfortable in the crease. I remember people saying Foster looked iffy his first start after Regan graduated.

Overall, solid game, solid start against some of the better teams in the CCHA; certainly nothing to sneeze at. That doesn't mean we don't have issues (the most glaring, to me, was the PP) but we don't have as big a hole to dig out of as we did last year.
                          A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Congrats on title 5, we're all playing for 2nd place
                            Last edited by Gibber; 10-17-2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Copied from the UNH/Michigan thread:

Great game last night. High flying fast paced action on both ends. Other than special teams, UNH dominated much of the game. Hunwick stood on his head and put on a show in the third and in overtime...

Michigan had a decent amount of people in the visitors section as well as scattered throughout the arena. It was great to see them come out east for a game, wish it could have been 2!

No expectations for this season, but I'm optimistic that we'll have an exciting team to follow in Durham.

Couple of pix from Thompson's 3rd period tying power play goal... extra sweet that Burlon got in the frame with the puck in the net after he taunted the crowd (popped the jersey) after his 3rd period goal, and winked at the linesman on the faceoff just before that goal
                              *****http://www.joshgibney.com/unh3goal.jpg******
                              *****http://www.joshgibney.com/thompsongtg.jpg******

Comment

Brilliant Carmine. Hey, before you trip over your dick on your way to the BC trophy case I just have one question for ya. Did it take you all off season to drum that one up?
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X