X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Interview with Mike Sislo on "This Week in the USHL"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJM9VoCwi5Q
    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Coach and players understand deficient areas which need to improve.
      From fosters.com:

Umile's biggest beef last weekend was the inability of UNH to get more shots to the net. The Wildcats attempted 80 shots in Saturday night's overtime loss at Merrimack but only half reached goalie Joe Cannata. Twenty-three were blocked and another 17 were off-target.

"Everybody's got to bear down on their shots," said Speelman, who has four goals in the last six games. "If you see somebody lying down in front of you, you need to pull it around him and get it on net. Everybody needs to focus harder on shooting the puck, including me.

"I feel like some of it was we were just trying to be too cute with the puck," Speelman added. "I think we just could have fired it on net and gone after rebounds, that's for sure."

"I think we were trying to pick the upper corners," Umile said, "instead of getting them on the goalie's pads. If you get them on his pads — and we practice that — it's hard for him to handle that."

That's one of the details the Wildcats have been focusing on in practice this week.
      And from concordmonitor.com:

And while Vermont doesn't have the firepower that UNH does up front, that doesn't mean the Wildcats defense won't still have to be on their toes.

"Just a few miscommunications, nothing crazy, we just need to tone it down a little bit ... and play our system," said UNH sophomore blue liner Brett Kostolansky, who noted defensive zone coverage has been the focus of practice this week.
      Greg Burke has the worst luck (fosters.com):
      Lee's Greg Burke is questionable for the series, having hurt his back Monday in practice. The sophomore forward has already missed 12 games this year with a shoulder injury and mono.
      Last edited by C-H-C; 02-18-2011, 07:34 AM.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
        Greg Burke has the worst luck (fosters.com):
        I like the player, I like his game when he is on. However at some point it stops being luck and starts being injury prone. Which for a player with his physical tools and developing skills just sucks.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
          I like the player, I like his game when he is on. However at some point it stops being luck and starts being injury prone. Which for a player with his physical tools and developing skills just sucks.
          That thought must have crossed the mind of anyone who has followed Greg Burke's career. I didn't want to say the "i p" word because it's not a flattering rep to have. Who knows if injuries will plague his career in the future. I wonder whether the number of injuries he has suffered is related to his style of play. Whenever I've seen him play, he has used his body to disrupt the opponent who has the puck and to create space for himself when he carries the puck. Maybe other college players (e.g., JvR) shy away from this physical style because they don't want to prematurely end their career.

Comment

Coach and players understand deficient areas which need to improve.
            Problem is that we have seen this act before. The team isn't playing as well down the stretch. Hope grows as the papers are filled with quotes from players who recognize the problems they're having, and that they're working to correct them. They'll have to prove that this time is different, and are not just saying the right things.
            113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

lather. rinse. repeat.

talk is cheap, just win, baby.

Comment

Interesting weekend. The only way to make us all happy is two solid wins in games played with the proper style. Madore will be a good test. Go Wildcats!
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Some tough news for fans of Northeastern Hockey:
                  http://www.gonu.com/news/2011/2/18/M...218110420.aspx

Comment

Some tough news for fans of Northeastern Hockey:
                    http://www.gonu.com/news/2011/2/18/M...218110420.aspx

First thing to mind is how similar this may be to the issue at UNH a couple years back.

Rapid social networking technology advances are creating recruiting opportunities and, in the same breath, challenges. Before we all get too harsh with Cronin perhaps a bit of info like the following from the NCAA site may help:
                    http://www.ncaa.org/blog/2010/11/fac...ruiting-rules/

Comment

Hopefully we get Jon Gadreau from NE... not serious, but it'd be nice. Former teammate of Jamie Hill and Kyle Smith.

Go win by the Wildcats last night... lots to work on still, but came out with the W. Hopefully they can win tonight too.

Comment

Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
                        Good win by the Wildcats last night... lots to work on still, but came out with the W. Hopefully they can win tonight too.
                        Improved in three areas: Shots on goal, low on Madore's pads; forwards setting up in front of Madore (except on the power play); clearing UVM players out of the zone in front of DiGi. Eric Frede's comment on the UNH powerplay - "UNH looks like the Harlem Globetrotters playing keep away with the puck except they got no shots on net." Pretty funny.
                        Hope to see a similar level of intensity and execution tonight.

Comment

Improved in three areas: Shots on goal, low on Madore's pads; forwards setting up in front of Madore (except on the power play); clearing UVM players out of the zone in front of DiGi. Eric Frede's comment on the UNH powerplay - "UNH looks like the Harlem Globetrotters playing keep away with the puck except they got no shots on net." Pretty funny.
                          Hope to see a similar level of intensity and execution tonight.
                          They also seemed to win a lot more faceoffs than usual, and they won a lot of battles along the boards. Solid win. The comment about the power play probably came in the third period when they did seem to just be passing the puck around the perimiter. They had taken Speelman out and put Kosto back in with a different formation, so I'm not sure if it was a strategy to try to score or to kill time like the old four corners offense in college hoops

Got a little nervous after that first goal, and then the next shot DiGi seemed to fight, but he settled in after that and played a solid game, though the challenges came with less frequency as the game wore on.

Comment

JvR scores a Gordie Howe Hat Trick (1 goal-1assist-1fight):
                            http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home
                            "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                            Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                            NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                            EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                            AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

I heard Bobby Butler scored last night against the Bruins, his 3rd consecutive game lighting the lamp.

Bobby scores, Bruins win . . . good night
                              I haven't been on here in a year...
                              Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

I blew my prediction, only three points instead of four, but I'd take a three point road weekend any day; I don't think any realist could consider that road trip a failure. UNH is not a world-beater, but played quite well enough.
                                As always, their fate is in their own hands, with three tough games ahead.
                                "A date is an experience you have with another person that makes you appreciate being alone."
                                Larry David

Comment

Working...
                                X