X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by billb View Post
    One thing, however, has me puzzled. If BU just stunk out the joint this afternoon against a mediocre Harvard squad, then how good could BU be? And, if it's the same team that outmuscled and outhustled the Wildcats a few weeks back, how good can UNH be?
    Because good teams NEVER lose to mediocre/crappy ones. The transitive property doesn't quite work in college hockey. Take a look at BC vs UNH in the 2007-08 regular season.

("Stunk up the joint" = losing by 1 goal? They may have played poorly, but it's not like they were blown out.)
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
    -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
      Because good teams NEVER lose to mediocre/crappy ones. The transitive property doesn't quite work in college hockey. Take a look at BC vs UNH in the 2007-08 regular season.

("Stunk up the joint" = losing by 1 goal? They may have played poorly, but it's not like they were blown out.)
      Remember, they got embarrassed in that 2-1* game in which they outplayed BU in stretches.
      We'll have to wait for the next UNH loss for pillb to chime in again, so don't waste your breath cbg

Comment

Dont have the resources or mostly the time , but it seems to me when UNH gets high in the rankings # 1 or 2 ( over the years ) I can predict a loss the following week , they never ever hold there spot at the top and it always seems they achieve this recognition during the middle part of the season ( yes at least they get there ) , as opposed to the later. Does it go to there heads and they incur a let down , or are they simply over achievers. Could be sour grapes on my end but it takes alot to get to the top , one would think you would want to stay there. Is at also a case of other teams getting better or does UNH system or style of play run its course , just food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
          Dont have the resources or mostly the time , but it seems to me when UNH gets high in the rankings # 1 or 2 ( over the years ) I can predict a loss the following week , they never ever hold there spot at the top and it always seems they achieve this recognition during the middle part of the season ( yes at least they get there ) , as opposed to the later. Does it go to there heads and they incur a let down , or are they simply over achievers. Could be sour grapes on my end but it takes alot to get to the top , one would think you would want to stay there. Is at also a case of other teams getting better or does UNH system or style of play run its course , just food for thought.
          I'd defer to more knowledgeable folks than myself, but in my opinion, UNH hits its peak way early, when other teams are finding how (and how not) to win, and then crashes down when the games reach critical mass. It makes for a (mostly) entertaining season, but has the deleterious effect of catastrophically deflating hopes that had slowly built up over the course of the season. Teams that have epitomized success (read BC, BU, etc.) in the post-season seem to elevate their game as they approach prime time.

It all gets back to the trending that has been discussed, which is the reason for my signature.
          We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
          ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
          --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

According to Mike McMahon of the Lawrence Eagle Tribune:

Stephane Da Costa’s lower-body injury, suffered in last Friday’s game at UNH, is not season-ending. There is still no definitive timetable for his return to the Merrimack lineup.

Da Costa, Merrimack’s leading scorer with 36 points, underwent testing after swelling receded enough for accurate pictures to be taken.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

This is a pretty cool video about "white out the whitt" night against Maine:

Comment

That was a great piece!
                GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

JvR scores a Gordie Howe Hat Trick (1 goal-1assist-1fight):
                  http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Comment

Friday's game is being broadcast on CBSCSTV.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                      Why nots? If de udder team almost stunk up da jointe et dey still beated you den you stunked up da jointe. Sometime bof team play bad mais one ave to win, juste like sometime bof team paly goods mais one ave to lose. Non?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques "Rabbit" Poriveau View Post
                        Why nots? If de udder team almost stunk up da jointe et dey still beated you den you stunked up da jointe. Sometime bof team play bad mais one ave to win, juste like sometime bof team paly goods mais one ave to lose. Non?
                        I agree... those were two terrible teams there, just because one team won doesn't mean they don't stink. Losing to this year's Harvard team = stinking up the joint.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          I agree... those were two terrible teams there, just because one team won doesn't mean they don't stink. Losing to this year's Harvard team = stinking up the joint.
                          I'll take your word on this, as I'm pretty sure you actually watched the game, unlike Mr B.
                          Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                          -Fred Shero

Comment

More positive press on Bobby Butler:
                            http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|OTT|home

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                              More positive press on Bobby Butler:
                              http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|OTT|home
                              Awesome. Thanks for sharing, and great to see Bobby getting regular playing time and producing. His development at UNH was great to watch over 4 years, and hopefully he has a long rewarding pro career!

Comment

I've already posted this elsewhere, and probably will eventually post it in a couple other places just to hit everyone, so bear with me... but we're really trying to gain momentum with this in DC:

As a heads up to Greater DC 'Cats fans: UNH is having a gamewatch at Penn Quarter Sports Tavern for the Friday night game. Puck drops at 7:05. Hopefully, we'll be upstairs.

I don't know if UVM is doing anything, but they've held hockey events at PQST before as well. All are welcome.

Please pass this along to anyone you know in the area.
                                BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
                                CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
                                2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
                                2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Working...
                                X