X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
    Borrowed this from the UNH/Maine game thread because it makes sense:
    Its an interesting point. UNH beat the hell out of Maine this past weekend physically, which we're not used to seeing, that might have also had something to do with it. It sure looked like Friday night, Maine was putting out much more effort, and UNH was coasting, so I was hoping UNH would have more energy on Saturday night, but it didn't really work out that way. Maine played a good 3rd period on Saturday night and aside from a few big mistakes (Sirman failing to glove the shot that Borisenok chipped in for the 4th goal, Cherry Picker Nyquist missing the empty net, and Beattie tripping over the blue AND red line coughing up the puck to Campanale and somehow Sirman allowing the bankshot gamewinner) I didn't think UNH had more jump at the end of the game Saturday....

Comment

A big thank you to everyone who made us feel so welcome last weekend. It's great to meet friends (old and new) and to watch some great hockey. That last minute of the 2nd game will be talked about for generations so I am so glad I was there. 'Gustav, would you care to take us through the last minute please?' Hee hee. Thanks to all the Hosers for letting us crash your party each year and to guys like Doug and C-H-C for being classy guys who love and know their hockey inside out. See you all next year and in the meantime I hope you enjoy the end of this season - which I hope will go on for a very long time!
      UNH Hockey: Class and panache

Comment

http://www.unhwildcats.com/sports/mi...20110210l1v8jb

http://thompsonforhobey.com/#/HOME-01-00/

It's official- and Nicely done as well!!

With 13 less games played than Butler last yr, Paul Thompson has 11 less total points, +2 in the GWG department and +3 on PPG's.

FINISH STRONG, PAUL!!! We're all pulling for ya!
        GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by LimeyCat View Post
          A big thank you to everyone who made us feel so welcome last weekend. It's great to meet friends (old and new) and to watch some great hockey. That last minute of the 2nd game will be talked about for generations so I am so glad I was there. 'Gustav, would you care to take us through the last minute please?' Hee hee. Thanks to all the Hosers for letting us crash your party each year and to guys like Doug and C-H-C for being classy guys who love and know their hockey inside out. See you all next year and in the meantime I hope you enjoy the end of this season - which I hope will go on for a very long time!
          Another echo from me! You guys rock and Tobes hit it right on the head here... we are blessed to have such great friends out in NH who welcome us in to their hockey circles for a weekend each year no questions asked and always make us feel like we are "regulars".
          Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
          ECAC Tourney Champs 79
          Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
          Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
          Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
          NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

UNH taking Merrimack seriously.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Hopefully the first line will start playing stronger defense, it seems since the break the effort on that end is still missing from this line. Even Thompson seems to be playing a bit more 1 way hockey. It is difficult to evaluate the lower lines as the combinations keep changing but of the last 13 even strenght goals (back to the Dartmouth game) 6 have been with the first line on the ice. With their experience they should one of the best defensive lines on the team not the worst. Too little hustle too much floating. I hope giving up the 3rd and 4th goals against Maine from lazy play and Umile's yelling at them on the bench will have some affect.

Otherwise I hope the lines look like last weekend and UNH rolls 4 line out there.
              "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

While last weekend was a speedy transitional style from both clubs, Merrimack will undoubtedly invoke the trap and try to play more physical, and keep the puck to the boards....UNH has to control the puck, be patient and confident in their game...play UNH's game and make Merrimack play catch-up...a great bright spot on Merrimack is former UNH'er Glenn Stewart part of the coaching staff....no offense Stewy but we'll be hoping to kick your butts like you did to UMass.....another helluva HE weekend! Do you think that because we never have an off weekend of tough play, the last 3 NC come from HE?

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                  As well they should. These guys aren't Merri-mat anymore. Even with the big wins over Maine last weekend, the buzz around HE was Mack continuing to put a whoopin on the rest of the conference. We might just be looking to get points out of this weekend, but if Merrimack gets 3 out of 4, they can earn a boatload of respect from the rest of the conference.

That's not to say they shouldn't have some already. Like I said, they've already knocked off some of the top teams in this conference. They beat the crap out of Maine, and they've won the season series against BC. They aren't exactly Vermont or Providence. If you knock off the defending champs...twice...you've got to be doing something right. It's good that the Cats already respect how well Merrimack has played up to this point, because I get the feeling this weekend is a "statement series" for Merrimack, whereas it's "just another series" for UNH.

UNH is already respected as one of the "Big Four" in the conference. We're established, we've arrived, etc. Having been to the NCAA's for nearly a decade in a row, we've paid our dues. Merrimack is hungry and demands respect. Think of it like the beginning of Rocky III: Rocky (or in this case, UNH) has held the title for a while, and just kinda goes through the motions, fights some contenders, and enjoys the winnings. Clubber (Merrimack) viciously slugs away, waiting for his chance at the Big Time, waiting to make a statement. These past few weeks, Merrimack has laid waste to the league, and now they're up against the team at the top of the standings. If we're gonna get out of this one maintaining the lead, we've got to match Merrimack's hunger for success.

These guys are on a mission to end the "doormat" jokes. They've got their shot at it this weekend, and our guys should be ready to face a team with a five-alarm blaze under their ***. Merrimack has taken some of Hockey East's finest to the woodshed already this year...let's not become an addition to the list.
                  A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

That analogy suggests that UNH will get smoked this weekend, only to drub Merrimack in the HEA finals.
                    113-162-27 .419

252-113-40 .672

Comment

I understand where you're coming from Irishcat but as Umile says every week, "we have to play our game" I have always said that we are not playing so and so, they are playing UNH....if we execute and play our game, then it doesn't matter if we play BC, Maine, Miami or Providence....it sounds simple but if Pittsburgh didn't have 3 turnovers and executed their game, would GB have won? UNH controls what and where they go by being able to play a consistant and confident game that is their game......imho, that is

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                        UNH controls what and where they go by being able to play a consistant and confident game that is their game.
                        Well that's kinda my point, just in different terms.

I guess it's just a matter of being skittish, having seen UNH "play down" to opponents in the past, and even this year (Brown and St. Lawrence, anyone?). Merrimack is going to be doing everything they can to throw us off our game: clogging passing lanes, breaking up rushes, running a trap, etc. I think patience is going to be one of the things this team will have to practice this weekend if we are to escape with 3 points.

We're not going to have very many opportunities against the Warriors...not like last weekend's shootouts with Maine. We have to capitalize on whatever opportunities are given us, because I'd be willing to bet we'll only get about 10 quality scoring chances all weekend.
                        A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Seems like UNH hasn't been playing its best hockey the past few weeks and their defense may be the weak link??

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                            Seems like UNH hasn't been playing its best hockey the past few weeks and their defense may be the weak link??
                            Probably, but I thought UNH was fairly good last weekend.. not top shelf A game, but decent vs Maine. Tonight they were not MENTALLY there. I think tomorrow will be the best barometer of what these two teams have to give when they are each on their games and ready to play. Round 1 to MC no doubt. Round 2? We'll see.
                            Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                            ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                            Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                            Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                            Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                            NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Pretty boring effort by the 'cats. Stop watching the game after MCs third goal.. talk about a breakdown... not that the cats had much to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
                                Probably, but I thought UNH was fairly good last weekend.. not top shelf A game, but decent vs Maine. Tonight they were not MENTALLY there. I think tomorrow will be the best barometer of what these two teams have to give when they are each on their games and ready to play. Round 1 to MC no doubt. Round 2? We'll see.
                                We also had no puck luck. Hit 2 posts! Crazy stuff.
                                UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Working...
                                X