X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by goblue View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was Beattie, who scored 2 of Maine's goals and was named the 2nd star of the game, despite his miscue. It's a pretty easy argument to make that Maine lost the game twice in 30 seconds or so due to players (Nyquist and Beattie) slipping.
    It was indeed (see post 613)

Comment

Originally posted by snively View Post
      Whenever I see your name, I think of the most amazing two minutes of hockey I ever saw. Am I remembering the folllowing correctly?

#1 (ECAC) UNH vs. #8 RPI, single elimination format, 1974.

Our terrific goaltender, Cap Raeder, tries to play badly hurt (no lateral movement) and gives up several goals before he is replaced by untested freshman Dan Magnarelli (who quickly gives up a very weak one himself from center ice).

Matching double minors are then called, and Charlie sends out your three to handle the 4 on 4.

Magic. Three quick goals, and I think RPI scarcely touched the puck! Simply the best tick-tack-toe artistry I've ever seen.

Sadly, we lost 6-5 in OT, and under the format back then, that one loss meant season over. But I'll never forget those two minutes!

Do I have that anywhere close to right? :-) Had a hard time handling that loss -- spent a long time walking on Edgewood Road that night trying to come to grips with it, because that was such a terrific squad we had!...
      How odd is this?!

If you go to the Union Leader's writeup of Saturday's terrific win over Maine, you'll see that in the comments section below the article, two fans are discussing this very same UNH-RPI game from 37 years ago.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...f-15d79b5eab0c

By the way, the "4 on 4" I mentioned above is more properly called a 3 on 3 (each team with just 3 skaters, and two men in the box -- was counting the goalies too). Also, final score in overtime was evidently 7-6, not 6-5.
      Last edited by snively; 02-07-2011, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
        now.. why would you want to learn how to win face off's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5THX7td0rU
        Many thanks for posting this video to answer Snively's observation about face offs. I remember a number of posts on a UNH thread a few years ago that claimed face offs do not matter much. Ha!

What a great weekend of UNH hockey for me, from the President's box on Friday night to a warm and dry living room with friends and NESN in Woodstock, NH, on Saturday night.

I will be out of the country for the next three weekends, but back in time for the home and home against BC.

If the regular season were over today, the prw would probably place BC-Omaha and UNH-Michigan in Manchvegas for the NE regionals.

Comment

An interesting note about this year's team is that the Thompson-Desimone-Sislo line has played together every game this season. The last time a UNH line remained in tact throughout an entire season was Pollastrone-Smith-Fornataro in 06-07. There are also a number of other parallels between that year's team and this one, so hopefully this version has a better finish!
          "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Allen Lessel of the Union Leader makes the "Paul Thompson for Hobey" case.
            Fans who wish to vote for Paul Thompson for the Hobey Baker Award can visit hobeybakeraward.com.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Many thanks for posting this video to answer Snively's observation about face offs. I remember a number of posts on a UNH thread a few years ago that claimed face offs do not matter much. Ha!

What a great weekend of UNH hockey for me, from the President's box on Friday night to a warm and dry living room with friends and NESN in Woodstock, NH, on Saturday night.

I will be out of the country for the next three weekends, but back in time for the home and home against BC.

If the regular season were over today, the prw would probably place BC-Omaha and UNH-Michigan in Manchvegas for the NE regionals.
              Unh would be a 1 seed. They are currently #4 in power. BC would also be a 1 seed some where else

Comment

Originally posted by unh1982 View Post
                Unh would be a 1 seed. They are currently #4 in power. BC would also be a 1 seed some where else
                1. Yale
                2. UMD
                3. North Dakota
                4. BC
                5. UNH

If BC ends up as a 1 seed (hard to imagine them not being one), one way for UNH to avoid being in Manchester with them (it seems) would be to also earn a #1 seed. UNH could also do so by falling to a 4 seed because they probably wouldn't be able to face a Hockey East team in the first round, but I don't think anybody wants that.
                "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                  An interesting note about this year's team is that the Thompson-Desimone-Sislo line has played together every game this season. The last time a UNH line remained in tact throughout an entire season was Pollastrone-Smith-Fornataro in 06-07. There are also a number of other parallels between that year's team and this one, so hopefully this version has a better finish!
                  Wow...the SPF line. That combo was just as lethal as this one. I don't know exactly how many points they accounted for, but it was an offensive force, to be sure. I think a major difference between this year's team and that squad is the depth in scoring. Sure, the top line has accounted for a lot of scoring this year, but from what I saw this weekend, it seems that the Moses-Borisenok-Goumas line, along with the Block-Speelman-Henrion line are able to contribute in a big way.

The other thing I saw against Maine (and from what I've heard on radio from other games) that concerns me is our defensive lapses that come back to bite us. We've gone on ad infinitum about The Nyquist Shot along with the other chances Maine had down the stretch. If we play lazy defense, it's going to come back to haunt us. This weekend will be interesting, given how Merrimack has suddenly learned how to put pucks in the net.

I never thought I'd say this, but a weekend series with Merrimack may tell us more about this team than a weekend series against Maine.
                  A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Irish and Rouge.... great going out after the games again with you guys again! Awesome time... just got back but that was one hell of a weekend!!!!! Great wins and too much fun....

CHC (Mike)... fantastic getting to have a few beers with you at WYW before the Friday night game! Thanks also for coming by during the first intermission! Really great talking pucks and UNH hockey.... man, one of these yrs we need to get you and Richard in the same bar and have a few pitchers... I would LOVE to hear the stories you guys could tell!

And Doug (Go Blue)... thanks also for stopping by during the game on Saturday and introducing yourself! Always great to meet fellow posters and UNH fans!!!!!!

Sorry I did not run into Erin this weekend... but a non-poster named Jim did run into us at Ballards (the old Tin Palace) and was nice enough to buy our group a pitcher and said he reads a lot of my/our stuff on the Score Update threads regularly and had a fun talk with him, too. Just really cool to meet a lot of very good people this weekend! Thanks, Jim... and glad UNH could make us all happy with the wins over Maine, too! Hope your travels back to NY were uneventful.
                    Last edited by Malts18; 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM.
                    Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                    ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                    Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                    Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                    Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                    NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Hey Chad, (and Dean & Toby) -- great to meet you on Saturday, albeit briefly (and what a game, eh?) I've enjoyed reading your comments over the years (Toby: it's all about the quality, not the quantity), and it's especially good to be able to attach a face to a username. Wish I could have met C-H-C; perhaps at one of the upcoming games, since I attend most home games (and some away ones.) Also wish Richard (Snively) would come back to his roots, if only for a game or 2. C-H-C and Richard are from my era, but both must be carrying terabytes of mental storage (unlike me, whose memories are stored on little scraps of brain paper that are probably with my glasses, keys and wallet that I'm always looking for.)

All the best!
                      We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                      ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                      --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                        Hey Chad, (and Dean & Toby) -- great to meet you on Saturday, albeit briefly (and what a game, eh?) I've enjoyed reading your comments over the years (Toby: it's all about the quality, not the quantity), and it's especially good to be able to attach a face to a username. Wish I could have met C-H-C; perhaps at one of the upcoming games, since I attend most home games (and some away ones.) Also wish Richard (Snively) would come back to his roots, if only for a game or 2. C-H-C and Richard are from my era, but both must be carrying terabytes of mental storage (unlike me, whose memories are stored on little scraps of brain paper that are probably with my glasses, keys and wallet that I'm always looking for.)

All the best!
                        Thanks, Doug... sorry we did not have more time to talk, but it is great to put faces to names and meet people from the board at the games. Very great weekend and a ton of fun!! Thanks for stopping by and maybe next yr Richard will come up from NJ if he can and get CHC (Mike) to come up from Mass for one of the games! Would be an incredible roundtable of hockey tales going on there! Thanks again!
                        Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                        ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                        Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                        Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                        Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                        NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Up to 4/3T in the PWR after BC's win last night and our early season win in Chestnut Hill. BU's strategy of hitting, putting a body on BC worked, but wasn't enough to overcome BC's speed and talent.

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                          ...Merrimack is steamrolling teams, AND unlike Maine, they have a goaltender.
                          If I find time I'd like to compare averages of opposing goal tenders' GAA and save % in our wins vs. our losses.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
                            Thanks, Doug... sorry we did not have more time to talk, but it is great to put faces to names and meet people from the board at the games. Very great weekend and a ton of fun!! Thanks for stopping by and maybe next yr Richard will come up from NJ if he can and get CHC (Mike) to come up from Mass for one of the games! Would be an incredible roundtable of hockey tales going on there! Thanks again!
                            Thanks for the great posts, gang -- a weekend to remember, for sure! I do hope to do that, but as Chad notes it will have to be next year (we've made the long roundtrip drive up several times in the past few weeks, but have been unable to get to a game because we have a very ill family member we're seeing while there). Would love to finally meet everyone face-to-face...

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              BU's strategy of hitting, putting a body on BC worked, but wasn't enough to overcome BC's speed and talent.
                              Indeed. Don't ya' just hate (opponents with) speed and talent?

Comment

Borrowed this from the UNH/Maine game thread because it makes sense:

Originally Posted by gdawg:
                                UNH does win many games from behind in the 3rd and often it is because the other team just gets tired out on the big ice.

UNH seems to pace themselves well. Playing good positional defense and not hustling to every loose puck, etc. (Which drives me nuts at times.) Don't know if it is a planned strategy but it works. The Cats seem to be able to really step on the gas at the end of the game and score when it's needed. They've done it 6-8 times this year so far -- either to win or tie it up within the last few minutes.
                                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X