X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
    Surprised nobody else has mentioned this yet. Although I agree that UNH did look sloppy, from our seats on the goalline, Digiralamo also looked EXTREMELY off at the start. During the first Providence rush, he was snapping his head around searching for the puck, which is rare. His discomfort showed with the Providence 2 goals on 3 shots. MAJOR props to him for settling down- especially after the early second period goal.
    I wonder - do we see either Jeff Wyer or Tyler Scott in the net during one of the Providence games this weekend?
    Rationale:
    ~ Might help the entire team refocus on playing defense.
    ~ All the other top Hockey East teams have used two (or more) goalies this year.
    ~ DiGi could use a break before the upcoming Maine then Merrimack weekends.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
      I wonder - do we see either Jeff Wyer or Tyler Scott in the net during one of the Providence games this weekend?
      Rationale:
      ~ Might help the entire team refocus on playing defense.
      ~ All the other top Hockey East teams have used two (or more) goalies this year.
      ~ DiGi could use a break before the upcoming Maine then Merrimack weekends.
      I just don't see that happening at all. Why would you play goalies that have absolutely no experience (minus the what, 2 minutes Scott played) when you are playing a conference game? Points are points and they can be very important.
      UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

I was not at the BU game but can only say what I heard from the film crew.

Is it accurate that the ref. neither immediately signaled a goal nor waved off the UNH equalizer? After review we all know it was disallowed. The review did not use the NESN cameras, just the UNH overhead. That image I am told showed Milan's glove fully behind the goal line, but did not show where the puck was. The referees asked the goal judge and he confirmed his call.

So on what basis was this goal disallowed? If the referee always needs to confirm a goal as good, then what is the point of the goal judge? Make him just the red-light-turner-on person.

Thoughts anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDan View Post
          I was not at the BU game but can only say what I heard from the film crew.

Is it accurate that the ref. neither immediately signaled a goal nor waved off the UNH equalizer? After review we all know it was disallowed. The review did not use the NESN cameras, just the UNH overhead. That image I am told showed Milan's glove fully behind the goal line, but did not show where the puck was. The referees asked the goal judge and he confirmed his call.

So on what basis was this goal disallowed? If the referee always needs to confirm a goal as good, then what is the point of the goal judge? Make him just the red-light-turner-on person.

Thoughts anyone?
          If memory serves, the ref waved "no goal."
          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
            If memory serves, the ref waved "no goal."
            He did, but it took a moment. Clearly, he didn't see it either way and was pondering his next move. After caLling no goal, the video had to clearly show him wrong.
            Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by 5IslandsWildcat View Post
              No UNH-Prov thread indicates lack of interest in this weekend. Also, lack of concern. I think this is a big weekend. If UNH gets 4 points, cannot assume that all is well going into weekends against Maine, Merrimack, and BC. But <4 points indicates problems. So important to take care of business: score goals, play great defense, and no dumb penalties. And, of course, skate, skate, skate, and skate some more.
              so a 2 point weekend followed by losing by 1 goal indicates lack of interest? Go into that lockeroom and tell the boys that. I am sure staff and players will disagree with you there. You don't 'not show up' and hold BU to two goals, you just get outplayed. Plain and simple.

Pundits are quick to jump to conclusions because it helps with the reconsiliation process of losing. Unforatuntly, none of these root causes are probably correct. I won't pretend to know why UNH lost to BU, but I could assume it had something to do w/ parker getting a good matchup against our good line, some solid effort between the pipes, and a few guys stepping it up mid game.

When I saw UNH play, they were a solid all around team, but nothing flashy. On a given night they can beat a good squad or lose to a 500 team. Its hockey. it happens.
              "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                When I saw UNH play, they were a solid all around team, but nothing flashy. On a given night they can beat a good squad or lose to a 500 team. Its hockey. it happens.
                I don't know if you have seen them since break. At this point IMO 2/3 of the first line have stopped being solid all around, two much attempt at being flashy not enough smart solid play. I am less disturbed by the 3-3 record or the 2-1 loss than I am by what my eyes tell me is the cause. Hopefully this is just a phase they will work out of, as I liked the hardworking smart solid team - even with the warts that group had.

As for playing the freshman D the "5th/6th" line forwards or the backup goalies from time to time I don't care league game or not you need to do it. This need to get every point is part of the "UNH" problem. I think it would be better to finish 2nd/3rd and have the "starters" fresh and "back-ups" ready if needed than finish 1st in league. I am all about the true goal and that is not another regular season championship. If that happens along the way great but I don't see it as the point of the regular season, the regular season is to 1a) make the tournament and 1b) be ready for the tournament.
                "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                  As for playing the freshman D the "5th/6th" line forwards or the backup goalies from time to time I don't care league game or not you need to do it.
                  Before an injury forces it. Plus it helps next year's team be more experienced.

Originally posted by JB View Post
                  This need to get every point is part of the "UNH" problem. I think it would be better to finish 2nd/3rd and have the "starters" fresh and "back-ups" ready if needed than finish 1st in league. I am all about the true goal and that is not another regular season championship. If that happens along the way great but I don't see it as the point of the regular season, the regular season is to 1a) make the tournament and 1b) be ready for the tournament.
                  Reminds me of this year's local NFL team.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Ill be surprised if Umile doesn't give Digi a rest for 1 game this weekend for many reasons. A move like that can cause the team to re-focus and play at the top of their game for a goalie getting his first start, and I'm sure its in Digi's best interest to rest for 1 game. Who is the #2 goaltender on the team, Wyer or Scott?

Comment

March 1, 2008-The last time Umile started a backup goalie while the starter was healthy.

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                      Who is the #2 goaltender on the team, Wyer or Scott?
                      Wyer
                      "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Ill be surprised if Umile doesn't give Digi a rest for 1 game this weekend for many reasons. A move like that can cause the team to re-focus and play at the top of their game for a goalie getting his first start, and I'm sure its in Digi's best interest to rest for 1 game. Who is the #2 goaltender on the team, Wyer or Scott?
                        I'd be surprised if he does.

Personally I would give a couple senior forwards a rest. Or at least a non-start at home. Clearly I would be looking for a wack in the side of the head for them to get back to playing smart hockey. I'd be surprised if he does that too.
                        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                          March 1, 2008-The last time Umile started a backup goalie while the starter was healthy.

Wyer
                          When is the last time Umile played a goaltender for the entire season

Comment

When is the last time Umile played a goaltender for the entire season
                            Well I searched though the media guides that I have....
                            The closest I could find to Coach playing 1 goalie for the whole season was the 2002-2003 season, where he played/started Ayers in all but 1 game, and the 1999-2000 season, where he played/started Conklin in all but 1 game. In both of those seasons the 1 game was in the first half. That's as far back as I'm willing to check, anything before the 1999 season I have no clue.
                            UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                              Well I searched though the media guides that I have....
                              The closest I could find to Coach playing 1 goalie for the whole season was the 2002-2003 season, where he played/started Ayers in all but 1 game, and the 1999-2000 season, where he played/started Conklin in all but 1 game. In both of those seasons the 1 game was in the first half. That's as far back as I'm willing to check, anything before the 1999 season I have no clue.
                              Last year, as well, Digi started just one game and came in twice in relief. The start was in the first half while Foster was hurt.
                              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                                Last year, as well, Digi started just one game and came in twice in relief. The start was in the first half while Foster was hurt.
                                Right! Completely forgot about last year.
                                UNH

Comment

Working...
                                X