X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
    Shocking bill chimes in after a loss.
    Only time we hear from him. And it's pretty much the same thing every time. Gotta imagine he's got a word document set up with the standard text, and he just changes certain details to fit the most recent loss.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
    -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
      Only time we hear from him. And it's pretty much the same thing every time. Gotta imagine he's got a word document set up with the standard text, and he just changes certain details to fit the most recent loss.
      That is why he is on my ignore list.... one of only two ppl, btw. The other? Jacques Rabbit Poriveau or whatever the hell his name is....
      Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
      ECAC Tourney Champs 79
      Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
      Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
      Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
      NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

• Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
        That is why he is on my ignore list.... one of only two ppl, btw. The other? Jacques Rabbit Poriveau or whatever the hell his name is....
        Jacques can be annoying but he rarely fails to make me laugh. Good stuff.

Comment

I'm with BillB, if Umile wore Hawaiian shirts and ZX threw RoboShark after goals we'd totally have won a National Championship by now.
          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Well, we are doing a little free falling right now. I am mildly concerned. Yes the record is 3-3 since we turned 2011 but they have not played that well.

Actually I place a good chunk of the blame at the feet of 2 Senior forwards. I watch DeSimone and Sislo since the break and gak! too many blind passes, dumb penalties or sloppy plays with the puck for me. Those two have become very inconsistent and the team is following their leadership. Friday night UNH get 6 penalties, 3 by DeSimone and 1 by Sislo. Saturday night UNH gets 3 penalties, 2 by DeSimone. Now not all penalties are created equal but of DeSimone's 5 on the weekend I count 3 as just dumb, not playing hard but playing stupid. Then there is Sislo who seems to do several dumb things with the puck each period. Combine that with the blind behind the back passes or the classic UNH pass to nowhere from these two and we see the problem that has occurred. Those two are starting to make their line mate who still seems to be playing with his head look bad.

The last issue I have since Christmas is the shot selection. They either wait too long and let the defender get his stick in the lane to block it, or they try to scratch their back with a slapper and miss the net. Now I know if you shot for the edges of the net statistically 50% or the time you miss but right now they are missing 80% or so. Most of those shots go whizzing around the boards and out of the zone, particularly on the PP.

Get the 1st line back to doing the little things right fixes much of what currently is hurting UNH.

As for Billb, it is best to ignore him; he is the most déjà vu thing about UNH hockey. I may not like everything about Umile and I would certainly like UNH to get over the hump. Remember be careful what you wish for, there have been many programs that have changed coaches only to fall of the map all together,
            "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
              I'm with BillB, if Umile wore Hawaiian shirts and ZX threw RoboShark after goals we'd totally have won a National Championship by now.
              **** straight.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                Well, we are doing a little free falling right now. I am mildly concerned. Yes the record is 3-3 since we turned 2011 but they have not played that well.

Actually I place a good chunk of the blame at the feet of 2 Senior forwards. I watch DeSimone and Sislo since the break and gak! too many blind passes, dumb penalties or sloppy plays with the puck for me. Those two have become very inconsistent and the team is following their leadership. Friday night UNH get 6 penalties, 3 by DeSimone and 1 by Sislo. Saturday night UNH gets 3 penalties, 2 by DeSimone. Now not all penalties are created equal but of DeSimone's 5 on the weekend I count 3 as just dumb, not playing hard but playing stupid. Then there is Sislo who seems to do several dumb things with the puck each period. Combine that with the blind behind the back passes or the classic UNH pass to nowhere from these two and we see the problem that has occurred. Those two are starting to make their line mate who still seems to be playing with his head look bad.

The last issue I have since Christmas is the shot selection. They either wait too long and let the defender get his stick in the lane to block it, or they try to scratch their back with a slapper and miss the net. Now I know if you shot for the edges of the net statistically 50% or the time you miss but right now they are missing 80% or so. Most of those shots go whizzing around the boards and out of the zone, particularly on the PP.

Get the 1st line back to doing the little things right fixes much of what currently is hurting UNH.

As for Billb, it is best to ignore him; he is the most déjà vu thing about UNH hockey. I may not like everything about Umile and I would certainly like UNH to get over the hump. Remember be careful what you wish for, there have been many programs that have changed coaches only to fall of the map all together,
                Mr. JB, I’m seeing the same thing. The first line is starting to “float” around…no back checking….blind passes….cheating into the neutral zone looking for the breakaways……..soft in the defensive zone. Your right they need to set the example. They are a very talented group that lead the way offensively but some of the little things win games as well.
                PSW
                watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

Kessel can be grouped with them as well. Pucks continually jumping over sticks, reaching instead of taking an extra stride. Hopefully now that the students are back and campus is energized things will change. Good thing it is late January not late February. Plenty of time...
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I agree with both Darius and JB. I think the first line and Kessel have been reading too many press clippings on their early season success and have got lazy in thier play in the process. The PP in particular is poor and very predictable. Perhps they are bored with their success and can't wait for the season to be over and get into the playoffs. I mentioned once before the coaches don't seem to be willing to make changes if things aren't working well. Kessel in particular stays out a way too long on the power play and can't be effective after 45 secs to 1 minute of time. It may do them some good to sit and watch some others try and see how the opponents are trying to defend. I remember at the start of the season Kipp and Hardowa were paired as the 2nd PP defense and I think Hardowa had 5 points in 5 or 6 games including a goal. He may have the best shot from the point of all the D men. I don't know why he hasn't been given any PP time since the break. The second PP unit has been almost as ineffective as the 1st line, yet the 3rd line seems to be creating some chances 5 on 5. Why not give them a shot at some PP time. We can't sit back and hope that the 1st units will suddenly "get it" again while we go 0 for 6 in PPs and create few good chances. The other thing I noticed on the weekend that really bugs me is the number of times the forwards come back into our zone when they have the puck and should be advancing it forward. This cost the winning goal against BU, but also finds us hemmed in and under pressure rather than breaking out. They can't score on us when the puck is outside our zone which goes way back to pee wee hockey days.

The good news is that these things are happening now and can be corrected before we get to the key playoff games or any NCAA tourney play. I am confident that the team is strong enough to qualify and will put their best foot forward when they get there. Go Cats
                    Last edited by Catnip; 01-24-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                      Kessel can be grouped with them as well. Pucks continually jumping over sticks, reaching instead of taking an extra stride. Hopefully now that the students are back and campus is energized things will change. Good thing it is late January not late February. Plenty of time...
                      I would agree with adding Kessel.

Those two in particular (Kessel some too) are playing like they think they are all that and forgetting the hard work that made them good at the start of the year.

Picking on DeSimone a little more, UNH had a nice counter going one night last weekend on a solid defensive play in the neutral zone. However, DeSimone was taking his time getting onsides and the potential 3 on 1 was offsides because he did hustle. It was a stupid play and lazy hockey too. Bill Parcels used to say about football players "stupid players do stupid things". His point was don't separate the player from the act and if you don't like me calling you stupid don't be stupid.

Personally I think telling the first line to start hustling and using there head is in order. Fastest way to make them get it is start a different line and cut back on thier playing time Friday night and Saturday if needed.

As an aside it would be nice if they would all hustle off the ice on line changes instead of gliding back to the bench. Up tempo like that puts pressure on the other team.
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Catnip View Post
                        I agree with both Darius and JB. I think the first line and Kessel have been reading too many press clippings on their early season success and have got lazy in thier play in the process. The PP in particular is poor and very predictable. Perhps they are bored with their success and can't wait for the season to be over and get into the playoffs. I mentioned once before the coaches don't seem to be willing to make changes if things aren't working well. Kessel in particular stays out a way too long on the power play and can't be effective after 4 secs to 1 minute of time. It may do them some good to sit and watch some others try and see how the opponents are trying to defend. I remember at the start of the season Kipp and Hardowa were paired as the 2nd PP defense and I think Hardowa had 5 points in 5 or 6 games including a goal. He may have the best shot from the point of all the D men. I don't know why he hasn't been given any PP time since the break. The second PP unit has been almost as ineffective as the 1st line, yet the 3rd line seems to be creating some chances 5 on 5. Why not give them a shot at some PP time. We can't sit back and hope that the 1st units will suddenly "get it" again while we go 0 for 6 in PPs and create few good chances. The other thing I noticed on the weekend that really bugs me is the number of times the forwards come back into our zone when they have the puck and should be advancing it forward. This cost the winning goal against BU, but also finds us hemmed in and under pressure rather than breaking out. They can't score on us when the puck is outside our zone which goes way back to pee wee hockey days.
                        I would give some power play time to Henrion on a line with Burke and ???. Let Henrion use his shot and Burke screening down low.

To defend Umile for leaving the first line out there on PP, the line was out of sync coming out of break. One way to fix that is more ice time to get up to speed. I think we have seen that didn't work so the next trick is to get them grinding a bit harder fighting for their ice time.

Comment

Fret not folks. This year is going to be different. This is the year!

Umile, after all this time has finally figured it out. He's throwing some of these points on purpose so UNH allows BC to win the HE crown. They'll continue to do so while people like billb take their shots at Dick and question the hearts of these young men. But...Come HE and NCAA tourney time... Dick is going to take a page right out of Jerry York's book. UNH as the underdog... BOOM. They are going to surprise everyone. Dick will be using his timeouts at perfect times! He'll be coaching instead of sitting there pouting on the bench! BC, meanwhile, will be on a huge roll, feeling so great about themselves and their RS title. They will not be ready for the best line in the country and NHL future HOFer Don't Call Me Phil Kessel. UNH takes the HE tourney in the Garden. OMG did we seriously just beat BC in the playoffs for the first time since like 1997 or something? You betcha. BC gets the last 1 seed in Manchester, UNH gets the top 2 seed, both teams win but BC's is a bigger struggle. UNH takes them to the woodshed, twice in one season you have to be kidding me... and on to Minnesota for some 2002 redemption and Minnesota Magic of 2011.

You heard it here first, folks.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

JB, PSW, Darius and Catnip are right on the money. Although DeSimone, Sislo and Kessel have +/- stats of +8, +7, and +9, respectively, these totals are somewhat misleading. The first line and Kessel have scored a lot of goals but I think they have also been on the ice when a lot of goals have been scored against UNH (would be interesting to see the "-" numbers by themselves). In the never-ending search for a silver lining, I see two. First, these three are among the most talented players on the team and they perceive themselves to be leaders. More focus and motivation should help resolve the problems. Second, if perceptive fans are seeing the same deficiencies, it's safe to assume that these players and the coaches have noticed them as well. Their shortcomings have been exposed so now it's just a matter of rectifying them.

Between the 2nd and 3rd periods of the BU game, NESN did a long feature on Sislo-DeSimone-Thompson. The feature focused on how close these players have become over their years at UNH. In the interviews, each player mentioned that they can criticize each other's play without creating hard feelings. It's up to them (and Kessel) to turn it around and start playing their best now that February and March are on the doorstep.
                            Last edited by C-H-C; 01-24-2011, 03:42 PM.
                            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              Fret not folks. This year is going to be different. This is the year!

Umile, after all this time has finally figured it out. He's throwing some of these points on purpose so UNH allows BC to win the HE crown. They'll continue to do so while people like billb take their shots at Dick and question the hearts of these young men. But...Come HE and NCAA tourney time... Dick is going to take a page right out of Jerry York's book. UNH as the underdog... BOOM. They are going to surprise everyone. Dick will be using his timeouts at perfect times! He'll be coaching instead of sitting there pouting on the bench! BC, meanwhile, will be on a huge roll, feeling so great about themselves and their RS title. They will not be ready for the best line in the country and NHL future HOFer Don't Call Me Phil Kessel. UNH takes the HE tourney in the Garden. OMG did we seriously just beat BC in the playoffs for the first time since like 1997 or something? You betcha. BC gets the last 1 seed in Manchester, UNH gets the top 2 seed, both teams win but BC's is a bigger struggle. UNH takes them to the woodshed, twice in one season you have to be kidding me... and on to Minnesota for some 2002 redemption and Minnesota Magic of 2011.

You heard it here first, folks.
                              Well as always you paint a nice picture. It sounds good to me so I hope you are right.

On a positive Umile note he has called a couple time outs this year that shocked me. They weren't right at the end of the game and seemed well placed reference an icing or momentum issue.

Comment

No UNH-Prov thread indicates lack of interest in this weekend. Also, lack of concern. I think this is a big weekend. If UNH gets 4 points, cannot assume that all is well going into weekends against Maine, Merrimack, and BC. But <4 points indicates problems. So important to take care of business: score goals, play great defense, and no dumb penalties. And, of course, skate, skate, skate, and skate some more.

Comment

Working...
                                X