This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

I enjoy reading Mike Zhe's coverage of UNH hockey. He's an objective beat writer who calls 'em as he sees 'em - including criticizing the team and coaches when it is warranted. This article accurately describes what is probably the dominant mindset of many UNH fans at this juncture in the season. A part of my fanbrain is thinking the same thing. However, I'm inclined to agree with JB on this one. If you set your mind to look for the pretty passes, laser-accurate shots, flashy saves, team cohesiveness, come-from-behind wins, etc., the Wildcats don't let you down. This team is packed with talented kids - most are not "NHL talented" kids, but are highly skilled players nonetheless. Since the memorable last second win against North Dakota in the NCAA tournament in Manchester, UNH has also been a hard-working team who don't mail it in.

The Dartmouth game shows (once again) that on any given night, a team nationally ranked in the top 20 (or so) can beat any other team in this same category. That's the major reason it is so difficult to win the NCAA tournament. Everything has to happen just right - the aspects of the game a team can control and all those things which are beyond anyone's control. UNH consistently earns an invitation to the big dance and that's a major source of pride. However, it's the game-by-game excitement and accomplishments that gets one out of the house and into the Whitt on those cold dark nights - and, which matter just as much.
    Last edited by C-H-C; 01-19-2011, 01:10 PM.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
      I enjoy reading Mike Zhe's coverage of UNH hockey. He's an objective beat writer who calls 'em as he sees 'em - including criticizing the team and coaches when it is warranted. This article accurately describes what is probably the dominant mindset of many UNH fans at this juncture in the season. A part of my fanbrain is thinking the same thing. However, I'm inclined to agree with JB on this one. If you set your mind to look for the pretty passes, laser-accurate shots, flashy saves, team cohesiveness, come-from-behind wins, etc., the Wildcats don't let you down. This team is packed with talented kids - most are not "NHL talented" kids, but are highly skilled players nonetheless. Since the memorable last second win against North Dakota in the NCAA tournament in Manchester, UNH has also been a hard-working team who don't mail it in.

The Dartmouth game shows (once again) that on any given night, a team nationally ranked in the top 20 (or so) can beat any other team in this same category. That's the major reason it is so difficult to win the NCAA tournament. Everything has to happen just right - the aspects of the game a team can control and all those things which are beyond anyone's control. UNH consistently earns an invitation to the big dance and that's a major source of pride. However, it's the game-by-game excitement and accomplishments that gets one out of the house and into the Whitt on those cold dark nights - and, which matter just as much.
      Right on Brother! ......
      PSW
      watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
        I generally try to remind myself to enjoy the ride. Only 1 team wins the game that matters each year. I always hope UNH will win that one "this year" (as in any this year). However if you forget to enjoy the ride each year with each team then why bother watching any of the games before that one...
        I've been saying it all along. This is the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see what type of parade/celebration UNH gets. Duckboat parade in Durham maybe?!?!?!
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
          So? It's not illegal to swat it out of the air, it's illegal to swat it out of the air above the crossbar.

Also, it wasn't reviewed because it couldn't be reviewed. Doesn't matter if the jumbotron as replay, matters if there's a system in place to review the call. My basketball team (Creighton) got screwed out of a game on a similar call - Iowa State sank a buzzer beater for the win. Replays, including the one on the arena scoreboard, showed it was after the buzzer, however. But since there was no monitor at the scorer's table, it couldn't be reviewed by the refs on the court. Same principle here.
          You're correct on your first point.

You're not on your second; they reviewed a goal earlier in the game, so obviously they have the system. However, it was a goal; contact with the puck as made below the crossbar. Close, but a goal -- and UNH didn't deserve OT.

As for the rest of the officiating; three things: the "embellishment" call on Goumas was the worst call I have ever seen. His had snapped back as he was checked into the boards, he got up and continued skating right away, and then got called. 2) The no-call on the trip during the UNH rush late in the period. 3) Dartmouth certainly looked offsides -- from my seat on the blue line -- on their final rush.

Having said all that: Dartmouth looked like the team who wanted it more. I was nervous about that game going in, because they've been playing well all year and I'm sure they wanted to make a statement. They did.

Teams in white and green versus teams in blue was a bad combo last weekend (if you liked the teams in blue . . .)
          I haven't been on here in a year...
          Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
            I generally try to remind myself to enjoy the ride. Only 1 team wins the game that matters each year. I always hope UNH will win that one "this year" (as in any this year). However if you forget to enjoy the ride each year with each team then why bother watching any of the games before that one...
            Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post

You guys are right. Thanks for reminding me. Hell I remember the old ECAC days when beating Harvard, Cornell, BC and BU made for a great season

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            I've been saying it all along. This is the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see what type of parade/celebration UNH gets. Duckboat parade in Durham maybe?!?!?!
            Yeah we can have the "rollin' rally" that Menino was planning for the Pats but wait, he must be reserving that for BC. We all know how Jerry gets his team ready for "trophy season"!!
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
              You guys are right. Thanks for reminding me. Hell I remember the old ECAC days when beating Harvard, Cornell, BC and BU made for a great season

Yeah we can have the "rollin' rally" that Menino was planning for the Pats but wait, he must be reserving that for BC. We all know how Jerry gets his team ready for "trophy season"!!
              Perhaps we can recruit Menino to repeat the phrase "Let's mount the Ducks"

Comment

• Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                You forgot "Onion Man chiming in on things he knows nothing about".

The "Skating Mother Teresa" got old sometime around Dartmouth's last NCAA appearance. I'm pretty sure every UNH fan would agree that the problem was more the non-calls versus Dartmouth (great replay of an elbow to the face on the jumbotron) rather than what was called on UNH.
                Would you be so kind as to share the Mother Theresa on Ice story? I'm not aware of that one.

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                  Perhaps we can recruit Menino to repeat the phrase "Let's mount the Ducks"

ha ha ha ha ha ha. Classic Menino. The gift that keeps on giving Can't you just visualize Menino mounting a duck
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Hey Everyone,

Biz has some video of yesterday's UNH Press Conference Featuring Umile, Blake Kessel and Mike Beck:

Have a great day!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      ha ha ha ha ha ha. Classic Menino. The gift that keeps on giving Can't you just visualize Menino mounting a duck
                      I am amazed he keeps getting elected Mayor. Apparently the good folks of Boston don’t find him as much of a buffoon as the rest of us.
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                        You're correct on your first point.

You're not on your second; they reviewed a goal earlier in the game, so obviously they have the system.
                        They didn't video review anything in that game, it wasn't available for the game. The story was, they met with the goal judge at the next stoppage after DC thought they scored (which they clearly didn't).

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                          They didn't video review anything in that game, it wasn't available for the game. The story was, they met with the goal judge at the next stoppage after DC thought they scored (which they clearly didn't).
                          Like George Bush and Dan Rather before me, I got bad information . . .

I was told via text message, "the goal was under review" and assumed that meant replay. My bad, thanks clarifiying!
                          I haven't been on here in a year...
                          Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
                            Like George Bush and Dan Rather before me, I got bad information . . .

I was told via text message, "the goal was under review" and assumed that meant replay. My bad, thanks clarifiying!
                            I originally heard the same thing and was infuriated that they would review that and not the GWG (which as I said, I thought was a good goal as far as a potential high stick, but they would have taken a look, I imagine, if they had the ability to, and I'm not sure why they didn't)

Comment

Any predictions for this weekends games - PC and BU?

Comment

In their first meeting in the NHL, JvR set an example for Bobby Butler. JvR had a goal and was +1 while Butler had no points and was -3 overall.
                                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X