X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by Darius View Post
    It matters for line changes. Team benches are on the same side of the ice, correct?
    yes, side by side benches, and yes, home team gets last change, and it has something to do w/ the faceoffs too, though I'm not sure how that works (and I'm not sure the officials are either )

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
      yes, side by side benches, and yes, home team gets last change, and it has something to do w/ the faceoffs too, though I'm not sure how that works (and I'm not sure the officials are either )
      I'm fairly certain the officals don't clearly understand the last change and the face-off rules for home teams. In the last two home games I have noted at least one occation in each game where the officals hand is up, UNH sends out two players and just after they hit the ice the hand goes down. Then the official sends the players back off the ice...?...
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

The names of Mike Sislo, Paul Thompson, and Phil DeSimone are on the fan voting ballot for the Hobey Baker Award. Blake Kessel is not on this list.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

On face offs. Doesn't the visiting team player have to place his stick on the surface of the ice ... first ... before the puck is dropped?

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
            On face offs. Doesn't the visiting team player have to place his stick on the surface of the ice ... first ... before the puck is dropped?
            Correct.
            Originally posted by reBlur
            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
              The names of Mike Sislo, Paul Thompson, and Phil DeSimone are on the fan voting ballot for the Hobey Baker Award. Blake Kessel is not on this list.
              the STD line. coming to a college campus near you.

I can't take credit for that but forget who said it.
              "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Wow, that was a real costly loss, as it dropped UNH down to an 8th place tie in the PWR.

Comment

Kudos to Dartmouth. They matched UNH goal-for-goal in a "last team who scores, wins" kind of game. In an 8-day period, Dartmouth barely lost to #1 Yale 2-1 and beat #4 UNH 5-4. Very impressive.

Up until 18:25 of the first period, I thought UNH played very well and were comfortably dominating the game. Their passes were crisp and accurate, they were getting quality shots on goal, and Dartmouth looked overmatched. Then came a needless tripping penalty on Kessel - he tripped the Dartmouth guy just outside the UNH blueline in the neutral zone, right in front of the UNH bench. The Dartmouth player was not leading a rush and was in a relatively harmless position. 30 seconds later, Dartmouth scores a powerplay goal to make it 1-1 and you could almost see them saying "Hey, we can score on these guys - let's go after 'em."

On the second Dartmouth goal, Henrion got a nice assist - passing from behind the UNH net to a Dartmouth player in the faceoff circle. Give credit to Henrion though - he redeemed himself with 2 goals of his own.

I thought both DiGirolamo and Mello played average games. Neither made many spectacular saves and both allowed in some medium-quality chances.

Another juggling of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines. Burke joined Borisenok and Moses on the 2nd line. Silengo centered Henrion and Goumas and Block centered Sorkin on the left wing and Speelman on the right wing. It's still early enough in the season to be juggling lines but this current configuration has it's drawbacks. The biggest is that replacing Speelman with Burke completely changes the character of the Borisnok-Moses line. With Speelman on their left wing, they have possibly the three best forecheckers on the team who can also fly up and down the ice. Plug Burke in for Speelman and the line's speed goes down through center ice and in the offensive zone. I know Burke is a very talented player who deserves to be on one of the top lines but I think he matches up better with tough, hardnosed forwards who like to bang people in the offensive zone (e.g., Block, McCarey, even Henrion). The other drawback is Speelman's on-ice time is diminished when he's on the 4th line and he plays the awkward left-hand shot on the right wing position.

My guess is there will be ample comments about the officiating in the post-game interviews. They did make a couple of errors which could have cost UNH. The first was midway through the second period (with the score tied at 2-2) when a Dartmouth player crosschecked Goumas in the middle of his back, slamming him into the boards. The ref called matching penalties claiming that Goumas "embellished." It looked to me like Goumas's head snapped backward when he hit the boards - a move which is hard to fake. The second costly officiating error came with a little over a minute left in the game. A UNH forward (I forget who) was rushing the puck across the redline and was clearly tripped. No call. Another controversial call was that the refs refused to review the final Dartmouth goal, despite Coach Umile's screaming appeals. The replay on the jumbotron appeared to show that the goal was good.

In a move which I hope Gibber caught on film, Umile walked across the ice, after shaking Gaudet's hand, in the direction of the two referees who were hold up in the far corner of the rink. Umile yelled at them while vigorously pointing his finger at them. He stopped his pursuit when he reached the line of players shaking hands at mid-ice. All-in-all, I'd say the crowd got it's money's worth.
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Just a quick thought on the game last night: EVERYONE on the ice, except the Dartmouth players, should be ashamed of what happened. The refs managed to find news ways to up their awfulness, which shouldn't have mattered, as UNH fell asleep about 18 minutes into the 1st, and didn't wake up until the start of the third...for about 15 minutes.
                    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                    -Fred Shero

Comment

Assuming we qualify, I hope we don't draw an ECAC opponent in the 1st round of the NCAA's. Jeez.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Death, Taxes, and UNH complaining about the refs after a loss. Classic.
                        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/players/?pd=25380

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/players/?pd=20347

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/players/?pd=27104

I know that they have not always been on the same line- but 11 points from Moses(4), Borisenok(3), Speelman(4, 3points Nov. 5th & 6th.) since Nov.1(15games) has to be cause for concern. IMO they absolutely need to be in the mix when it comes to scoring for UNH to be successful over the entire season. I can't imagine Umile is content with simply seeing a couple of his top guys w/ good talent not producing for long stretches of time like this. UNH, I think, has the depth to put a lot of creative combo's out there.. right now- they might skate real fast- but eventually you need to put it in the net. Moses and Bori, are also sitting in the negative column at -1 on the +/-, We know they can score, but can they score together??
                          Last edited by i'zonprize; 01-16-2011, 08:33 AM.
                          GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                            Death, Taxes, and a BC d'b' posing as a Brown fan (like they have any fans) sticking their collar-up nose where it doesn't belong Classic.
                            Fixed your post.
                            plus, I'd have complained about that 4 ring circus even if UNH won, though they didn't deserve to win the way they played last night.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
                              Just a quick thought on the game last night: EVERYONE on the ice, except the Dartmouth players, should be ashamed of what happened. The refs managed to find news ways to up their awfulness, which shouldn't have mattered, as UNH fell asleep about 18 minutes into the 1st, and didn't wake up until the start of the third...for about 15 minutes.
                              CBG...For the most part I think you are spot on with this assesment.....I think you may have given UNH too much credit for what I think was an uninspired third period. The last 2 Dartmouth goals were all produced by a team wanting to play more than our beloved Wildcats.

Officiating was awful but not the cause of the loss. Have to say I have watched a lot of hockey and don't recall seeing an embelleshment call ever more misapplied than on Goumas. Guess it was 2 minutes for keeping the Dartmouth player from hitting the boards harder.
                              Please join me in the fight to reduce the world's supply of Bacardi.

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
                                ...11 points from Moses(4), Borisenok(3), Speelman(4, 3points Nov. 5th & 6th.) since Nov.1(15games) has to be cause for concern. IMO they absolutely need to be in the mix when it comes to scoring for UNH to be successful over the entire season. I can't imagine Umile is content with simply seeing a couple of his top guys w/ good talent not producing for long stretches of time like this. UNH, I think, has the depth to put a lot of creative combo's out there.. right now- they might skate real fast- but eventually you need to put it in the net. Moses and Bori, are also sitting in the negative column at -1 on the +/-, We know they can score, but can they score together??
                                Bill Belichick on NFL Network’s miked up, said how Lawrence Taylor had a sense of the game, when a play needed to be made at a key moment he made it.

Players like LT make champion teams, but without the players around him he would be remembered differently. LT in his prime on the current incarnation of the Detroit Lions would make great plays, but wouldn’t have the opportunity to make them at key moments. The moments would be 3rd down sacks or interceptions during mundane regular season blow out losses instead of in key playoff or super bowl games.

The Wildcat equivalents of Harry Carson and, Pepper Johnson to show themselves if this is going to be a special (HE finals, Frozen Four) year.
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X