X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
    My point is that we got lucky in the fact that Maine let up at the end; that they had tons of chances to put it away, and they couldn't seal the deal/close it out/(insert cliché here).
    So, did they Maine up at the end or did they have tons of chances?
    UNH has become a team that will fight you until the final bell and sometimes beyond. Maine was worn out, they called time out to rest their first power play unit to try to put the game away late. Give UNH credit, while Maine might have had the better of play the first 2/3 of the game, the game's not 40 minutes long. Maine had their fair share of luck as does every team. Look at their first goal... Fluky deflection comes right to the kid coming off the bench and he buried it...

UNH has scored more EAG's the last year and a half than I can remember them scoring the last decade. Its gone from fluke to coincidence to trend...

Comment

You're right Wildshawn that the polls are meaningless...but they're there.....but my question to all you Historians, is when was the first time UNH ranked #1 in the nation?
      And as a bonus point, what and why is the phone # to call into UNH radio?

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
        You're right Wildshawn that the polls are meaningless...but they're there.....but my question to all you Historians, is when was the first time UNH ranked #1 in the nation?
        Bittersweet memories - 1973-74 Wildcats were ranked #1 in the nation mid-way through the season (if memory serves) until the ECAC playoffs began.
        Last edited by C-H-C; 12-15-2010, 08:14 AM.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
          My point is that we got lucky in the fact that Maine let up at the end; that they had tons of chances to put it away, and they couldn't seal the deal/close it out/(insert cliché here).
          Perhaps Maine didn't let up, perhaps the fact that UNH never gave up, continued to battle and skate hard wore them out. They had tons of chances, but Digiralamo continued to play well, despite being down two goals. Somebody mentioned him stonewalling Flynn on the breakaway; plays like that, as the game progressed, started to 'tip the ice' in UNHs favor.

Jack Parker often says the two goal lead is the most dangerous to protect in hockey. When Silengo netted the second goal, you could feel (at, least I could from my living room with my beer) the momentum building in UNHs favor. And as has been said, UNH never stopped playing. I don't think luck has anything to do with it, any more than skill, determination, etc . . . have to do with it.

I think that's where this conversation between you and RtW is breaking down; he (and I) saw a UNH team that never stopped battling, against a Maine team that ran out of gas, where you saw a UNH team get lucky with a couple goals late in the game to squeak out win.
          I haven't been on here in a year...
          Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Agreed with WS and PF2001. It is becoming a trend (not something fluky happening) that UNH does not pack it in when down a goal or two. IW referenced the stopping of the breakaway and how fortunate UNH was that Maine couldn't score. Digi was quoted as saying he knew Flynn was going five hole because there was a defender in close pursuit. That stop was not luck; it was preparation, composure and execution.
            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Highlights from Friday's game:

Comment

Correct CHC.....it was at the Christmas break, which unfortunately also brought us the tragedy of Warren Brown.....now for part 2, any idea of WUNH?

Comment

And as a bonus point, what and why is the phone # to call into UNH radio?
                  for speed dialing on old rotary phones in "name that tune contests"?

Comment

Correct CHC.....it was at the Christmas break, which unfortunately also brought us the tragedy of Warren Brown.....now for part 2, any idea of WUNH?
                    I was at the final Warren Brown game, at BC's McHugh Forum, a 4-3 OT win with Gordie Clark tipping in the OT winner. UNH was riding high that year, #1 at the break and #1 at the end of the regular season. But the ECAC quarterfinal loss to RPI, 7-6 in OT, aided and abetted by an injury to goalie Cap Raeder, sealed UNH's fate. As most UNH lifers know by now, that was the game with the thrilling 3-on-3 CHC three goal explosion.

Hate to say this, but that game was the beginning of UNH's post-season frustrations. I'll always remember the week after that game, watching RPI get demolished by BU in the ECAC semis at the Garden and spotting Hislop and Cox taking it all in. I'm sure their thoughts were the same as mine . . .

Hey, it's only 36 years ago, but the angst still lingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      I was at the final Warren Brown game, at BC's McHugh Forum, a 4-3 OT win with Gordie Clark tipping in the OT winner. UNH was riding high that year, #1 at the break and #1 at the end of the regular season. But the ECAC quarterfinal loss to RPI, 7-6 in OT, aided and abetted by an injury to goalie Cap Raeder, sealed UNH's fate. As most UNH lifers know by now, that was the game with the thrilling 3-on-3 CHC three goal explosion.

Hate to say this, but that game was the beginning of UNH's post-season frustrations. I'll always remember the week after that game, watching RPI get demolished by BU in the ECAC semis at the Garden and spotting Hislop and Cox taking it all in. I'm sure their thoughts were the same as mine . . .

It's why I'm a self-described "foolish fan." The joy of national recognition followed by an horrific tragedy and a series of mishaps. Warren Brown was a tall, agile, defensive forward. The tragic accident happened as he and two UNH players (Dave Bertollo, I think, and another whom I forget) were driving home to Ontario for the Christmas break. Because of the oil crisis, people often carried cans of gasoline in their trunks for long trips. As I recall, their car was hit from behind and the car caught fire.

When I returned from Christmas break, I discovered that the house I was renting with some buddies was broken into. I lost an extensive record collection, a stereo and TV.

The team maintained the #1 ranking in the second half of the season, even without Warren Brown and Bertollo (who had suffered burns in the accident). During some game late in the season, Cap Raeder - a future goalie for the Hartford Whalers of the upstart World Hockey Association - injured his leg. When #1 UNH played RPI in the quarterfinal round of the ECAC tournament, Raeder was at 3/4 mobility at best. Despite a memorable comeback, UNH lost - it was one and done. No invitations to the NCAA tournament in those days. The quest for the elusive National Championship, along with the frustration of not quite capturing it, continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                        It's why I'm a self-described "foolish fan." The joy of national recognition followed by an horrific tragedy and a series of mishaps. Warren Brown was a tall, agile, defensive forward. The tragic accident happened as he and two UNH players (Dave Bertollo, I think, and another whom I forget) were driving home to Ontario for the Christmas break. Because of the oil crisis, people often carried cans of gasoline in their trunks for long trips. As I recall, their car was hit from behind and the car caught fire.

When I returned from Christmas break, I discovered that the house I was renting with some buddies was broken into. I lost an extensive record collection, a stereo and TV.

The team maintained the #1 ranking in the second half of the season, even without Warren Brown and Bertollo (who had suffered burns in the accident). During some game late in the season, Cap Raeder - a future goalie for the Hartford Whalers of the upstart World Hockey Association - injured his leg. When #1 UNH played RPI in the quarterfinal round of the ECAC tournament, Raeder was at 3/4 mobility at best. Despite a memorable comeback, UNH lost - it was one and done. No invitations to the NCAA tournament in those days. The quest for the elusive National Championship, along with the frustration of not quite capturing it, continues.
                        Whoa....thats the story of Walter Brown....it gives the annual award additonal meaning....
                        PSW
                        watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Originally posted by PSW View Post
                          Whoa....thats the story of Warren Brown....it gives the annual award additonal meaning....
                          On page 61 of the book Wildcat Hockey: Ice Hockey at the University of New Hampshire by Elizabeth Slomba and William E. Ross, there's a picture of Warren Brown's parents and little brother presenting the Warren R. Brown Memorial Trophy for the first time. The ceremony was just 2 months after Warren's death and the recipient was Dave Bertollo.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            Agreed, seems like yesterday. I was driving home to Durham from Colorado through Ontario at about the same time they were heading home for the holidays. I was still in Colorado for grad school during spring 1977 when I watched the Badgers beat our Cats in the FF semi's on national TV.

It would be fine with me if Yale maintains their #1 ranking until they are exposed in the post-season this year. Being ranked #1 is a jinx in my opinion. Like being on the cover of SI.

Comment

I believe that it was the defenseman Jim Harvey who was also in the car. Warren had gone back to get the gas out of the trunk when the car exploded. I was living in the SAE house at the time and when Rick Olmstead came down for breakfast that is when we found out and the saddest part for me was that I had introduced Warren to his girlfriend and they had just gotten engaged. Not a good time for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by unh1976 View Post
                                I believe that it was the defenseman Jim Harvey who was also in the car. Warren had gone back to get the gas out of the trunk when the car exploded. I was living in the SAE house at the time and when Rick Olmstead came down for breakfast that is when we found out and the saddest part for me was that I had introduced Warren to his girlfriend and they had just gotten engaged. Not a good time for anyone.
                                Boy...oh...boy..this is one sad story....lets wish all players going home this year safe travels...
                                PSW
                                watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Working...
                                X