This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

These last few years it's been really hard to figure out how Umile will distribute the last few slots of playing time. Last year, the only start Digi got was when Foster got hurt. This year, Digi's seen every second of playing time (including the 65-minute exhibition). Those are instances of Umile staying in the "now" and not thinking about the future.
    With the defensemen, Knodel and Agosta have not stepped foot onto the ice in their UNH sweaters (with the exception of warmups before the exhibition game). With three d-men gone after this year, he is definitely not thinking too far ahead of himself.
    However, he is handling the forwards in a completely different manner. The three freshmen have now played a combined 28 games (11 on the 3rd line, 17 on the 4th), racking up a whopping one point. Sorkin (-5) and Silengo (-1) are the only regular forwards in the minus column. Nevertheless, they continue to skate as Manz and Pavelski (two capable upperclassmen) watch from the stands. In this case, it appears that Umile is looking ahead to next year, as the entire first line will graduate and the offense has to come from somewhere.
    Just something to chew on with your turkey and stuffing. Puzzling times indeed.
    Last edited by RockTheWhit; 11-23-2010, 10:51 PM.
    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

To the guy who sits behind me:

For what it's worth, when you whine about every single missed pass and each rebound that doesn't get put in the net, it makes people want to punch you in the sack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Markt View Post
        To the guy who sits behind me:

For what it's worth, when you whine about every single missed pass and each rebound that doesn't get put in the net, it makes people want to punch you in the sack.
        Haha that's almost as bad as the lady behind me who screams SHOOT! SHOOT! everytime a UNH player touches the puck

Comment

My son and I had to wonder if the UNH "faithful" who started leaving the Whitt in the waning minutes of that game could hear the roar of the crowd while they made their way to their cars as UNH was tying the game up. Just wondering...

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
            These last few years it's been really hard to figure out how Umile will distribute the last few slots of playing time. Last year, the only start Digi got was when Foster got hurt. This year, Digi's seen every second of playing time (including the 65-minute exhibition). Those are instances of Umile staying in the "now" and not thinking about the future.
            With the defensemen, Knodel and Agosta have not stepped foot onto the ice in their UNH sweaters (with the exception of warmups before the exhibition game). With three d-men gone after this year, he is definitely not thinking too far ahead of himself.
            However, he is handling the forwards in a completely different manner. The three freshmen have now played a combined 28 games (11 on the 3rd line, 17 on the 4th), racking up a whopping one point. Sorkin (-5) and Silengo (-1) are the only regular forwards in the minus column. Nevertheless, they continue to skate as Manz and Pavelski (two capable upperclassmen) watch from the stands. In this case, it appears that Umile is looking ahead to next year, as the entire first line will graduate and the offense has to come from somewhere.
            Just something to chew on with your turkey and stuffing. Puzzling times indeed.
            Every year we hear complaints like this. And it always cuts both ways. On one hand, why is a supposedly undeserving upperclassman playing when we have so many talented freshmen accumulating cobwebs on the bench and, on the other hand, what are these mistake-prone freshmen doing on the ice when we have these deserving upperclassmen who have paid their dues sitting in the stands.

The way I look at it, especially with the forwards this year, is that there are five or six forwards playing for three or four spots on the third and fourth lines. At this point, Umile thinks he is getting more upside with Silengo, Sorkin and Goumas than he would get with known quantities Pavelski and Manz. After watching Manz over three years and Pavelski last year, this untrained eye has to agree, especially with the latter two. Sorkin looks like a player and Goumas may be the hidden gem in this year's recruiting class.

On defense, we have six very experienced defensemen who have paid their dues and, for the most part, have played a big part in the success of UNH up to now. And just because Knodel was drafted doesn't mean he is ready to play. You have to think his size (he makes Sorkin look like a midget) had a lot to do with that (think John Doherty a few years ago). The roller hockey thing with Agosta I had also heard before. My guess is that when these two show something in practice, they may get their chance.

I will say one thing, a few more games with multiple turnovers in the defensive zone and Umile may be making some major changes. The play last night, just like that in the second half of the game at BU, was not very good. Better tighten up Saturday night, that's for sure.

Comment

Greg Manz: three-time HE academic team honoree, political science major, best GPA on team last year and my guess is he works hard, doesn't complain, sets a great example and is a team leader. Career +/- is minus one in limited play. He is the kind of player typically getting senior year ice time. Coach must think very highly of those playing instead.

I've heard Greg Burke will be ready to play in January. Does he get his 3rd line spot back? I am thinking, unless the negative trends of the past two games continue, that the current third line remains intact and Greg slots into the fourth line, making it more potent? Thoughts?
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                I've heard Greg Burke will be ready to play in January. Does he get his 3rd line spot back? I am thinking, unless the negative trends of the past two games continue, that the current third line remains intact and Greg slots into the fourth line, making it more potent? Thoughts?
                The team is in an enviable position regarding its forwards. Sorkin, Goumas, and Silengo have showed they belong in the college game. Burke, a guy with a ton of potential, is coming back. Barring any further injuries, the four lines should steadily improve.
                The defensemen obviously need some refocus and maybe a shakeup.
                DiGi - Did anyone really believe he would evolve into a top Hockey East goalie by Thanksgiving? Very impressive.
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                  DiGi - Did anyone really believe he would evolve into a top Hockey East goalie by Thanksgiving? Very impressive.
                  I am concerned about his ability to stop high shots. Maybe he can improve or perhaps it is just the way it is with his style of play?

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    Greg Manz: three-time HE academic team honoree, political science major, best GPA on team last year and my guess is he works hard, doesn't complain, sets a great example and is a team leader. Career +/- is minus one in limited play. He is the kind of player typically getting senior year ice time. Coach must think very highly of those playing instead.

The last few games the 2nd line was the Borisenok line and the Block line was the third line. Last night on the internet the announcer read off the lines as such. So we are talking about Burke taking Sorkin's stop?.....I think it will depend on what Sorkin does up to the break. He has been getting more comfortably out there. However, I think Burke gets a game on the fourth line and then takes Sorkins spot moving forward.

Manz thing.....my head says sit.....my heart says play'em
                    PSW
                    watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Originally posted by PSW View Post
                      The last few games the 2nd line was the Borisenok line and the Block line was the third line. Last night on the internet the announcer read off the lines as such. So we are talking about Burke taking Sorkin's stop?.....I think it will depend on what Sorkin does up to the break. He has been getting more comfortably out there. However, I think Burke gets a game on the fourth line and then takes Sorkins spot moving forward.
                      I noted the line order switch last night and promptly forgot. I meant Sorkin as you note. I think what you say is what will likely happen. I am just pondering if Burke would be fine on line 4, making it more potent while moving Sorkin away from line mates he is comfortable with might be relatively more detrimental.

Yup.

Comment

With Burke, my take is that he has many of the same attributes as Sorkin. Tall, growing into his size, decent shot. Not sure whether he takes Sorkin's spot when he comes back, or Umile continues to play both of them. I am not going to say the "glut" at forward is an embarrassment of riches, because it is not. It is more like they have a bunch of guys who are pretty much equal and, depending on what the coaching staff sees and needs, some play and some sit.

As for Manz, I too think it is a bit puzzling that he is not playing. He's been a good soldier, paid his dues, obviously intelligent on the ice, and a senior to boot. That resume usually gets you in a Umile lineup when you're a senior. Here and there in the past Umile has not played a senior (Brenda McEniry is the last one I can think of off the top of my head), but it is certainly not the norm.

Comment

With regards to the lines, what I find most interesting is which line gets the PP time. It was split pretty evenly between the 3 lines at BU. The Sorkin-Borisenok-Moses line was out there for the shortie, so I figured they'd take a back seat against Brown. The sophomore line hasn't contributed anything offensively the last few games either, though, so that might have contributed to it as well. The Borisenok line was out for three Brown goals last night, and Umile trotted out a line of Speelman-Borisenok-Moses late in the game. Bo scored to tie the game, but the lines were back to normal in OT. Perhaps there is some change on the horizon.
                          "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                            With Burke, my take is that he has many of the same attributes as Sorkin. Tall, growing into his size, decent shot. Not sure whether he takes Sorkin's spot when he comes back, or Umile continues to play both of them. I am not going to say the "glut" at forward is an embarrassment of riches, because it is not. It is more like they have a bunch of guys who are pretty much equal and, depending on what the coaching staff sees and needs, some play and some sit.
                            I agree that Sorkin is fitting in with Bori and Moses- that line creates bazillions of scoring chances- Perhaps Umile inserts Burke in between Speelman and Henrion.(you could still call it the Sophmore line!) Would not have thought about this a week or two ago- Block is not playing poorly and neither is the line. But- Burke could be another scoring threat that compliments that line well. That line has been together every single game- so, who knows..

At the end of the day- the team is putting up 40+ shots game after game. How do they find a way to hit the back of the net more often? They have fairly balanced scoring across the lines-- but I think you could argue that there is more upside to be had.
                            Last edited by i'zonprize; 11-24-2010, 07:31 PM.
                            GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
                              At the end of the day- the team is putting up 40+ shots game after game. How do they find a way to hit the back of the net more often? They have fairly balanced scoring across the lines-- but I think you could argue that there is more upside to be had.
                              More often? I feel like we've been scoring quite a bit so far this season. More the key is to not allow 3+ goals a game. If they keep putting it on net they'll keep going in. We've hit some good goaltending and we put a lot of shots at the goalie's chest, but we scored 5 or more goals 4 times this season.
                              UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by UNHhockey29 View Post
                                More often? I feel like we've been scoring quite a bit so far this season. More the key is to not allow 3+ goals a game. If they keep putting it on net they'll keep going in. We've hit some good goaltending and we put a lot of shots at the goalie's chest, but we scored 5 or more goals 4 times this season.
                                So far, UNH has scored the most goals in Hockey East, but ranks #6 in goals allowed.
                                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X