X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH At The Starting Gate....

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
    When Brett Kostolansky scored his goal last night and the PA announced it was his first collegiate goal, I was surprised. With his ability to skate and handle the puck, I thought he had scored more. On the first power play unit, his role is mostly to feed the puck to Blake Kessel. I'd like to see Kostolansky attack the net and take more shots.
    Kosto is great at moving the puck and rushing it, but he doesn't have much of a shot. His numbers the last two years:
    Chicago Steel: 1-17-18 in 60 games
    UNH: 0-12-12 in 28 games
    That's one goal in 98 games (including the first 10 this year).
    "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
      Kosto is great at moving the puck and rushing it, but he doesn't have much of a shot. His numbers the last two years:
      Chicago Steel: 1-17-18 in 60 games
      UNH: 0-12-12 in 28 games
      That's one goal in 98 games (including the first 10 this year).
      On the goal he scored last night, he was moving from the top of the faceoff circle toward the net when he received the pass. A defenseman need not have a rocket from the blueline to be able to score goals. I did a quick search of Kostolansky's stats from Shattuck St. Mary's.
      In his final season of prep school hockey, Kostolansky had 9 goals and 38 assists in 60 games.
      Last edited by C-H-C; 11-21-2010, 10:19 PM. Reason: found the stats
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

(4) Mike Beck and Damon Kipp fell back into some bad habits (e.g., not clearing their own zone). At one pivotal moment, Beck was called for a penalty in the neutral zone, he threw his arms up with a whining face, and just stood there. Meanwhile, BU continued the play because UNH had not touched the puck and flew into the UNH end for a couple of good shots.
        (5) UNH seemed to run out of gas as the third period went on. Hard skating and over 80 shots on goal over two consecutive nights will do that.
        The Beck penalty was BS - Gill wrapped his arm around Beck's stick, and then fell. Pure dive. Granted, his poor position opened that opportunity for Gill to embellish, so you do have a point there.

BU's 3rd and 4th goals were directly caused by pitiful clearing attempts.

As to your final point, BU beat the crap out of UNH all night, but especially in the later stages of the game. They were brutally physical (and almost entriely clean), and I think that more than anything shook the 'Cats.

Hopefully, they learn from it, and get stronger.
        Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
        -Fred Shero

Comment

[QUOTE=BU's 3rd and 4th goals were directly caused by pitiful clearing attempts.[/QUOTE]

Check out the BU highlight video......all the goals were UNH turn overs...
          http://www.goterriers.com/allaccess/?media=213048
          PSW
          watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Fun little video I stumbled across on YouTube on Snively and it's traditions:

Not dated, but I'm guessing mid to late 80's (?)
            (school banners hanging from the ceiling seem to be Hockey East era, including Lowell)
            Last edited by ClOuD 9; 11-23-2010, 06:30 AM.
            "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
            Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
            NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
            EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
            AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by PSW View Post
              Check out the BU highlight video......all the goals were UNH turn overs...
              http://www.goterriers.com/allaccess/?media=213048
              Umile mentioned that in his press conference- said his team assisted on all 4 BU goals.
              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Nice work by NH's Paul Thompson- 10pts over the last 2 weekends- LEADING BY EXAMPLE! Way to go, Paul! Keep it going!
                GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
                  Nice work by NH's Paul Thompson- 10pts over the last 2 weekends- LEADING BY EXAMPLE! Way to go, Paul! Keep it going!
                  From the "Hometown Hero" article on today's seacoastonline.com
                  “My experiences here have been absolutely great over the years,” Thompson said. “I have played with some great guys, been on some great teams, but we have one goal this year, which is hopefully capping off the season with a national championship. If we keep playing well like we are, and stay focused, I think we will have a good shot at accomplishing our goal.”

Comment

Brett Kostolansky - 2 goals in 2 games. A blossoming Ray Bourque.

Second game in a row Kipp and Beck had troubles clearing the puck out of UNH's end. A shakeup might be in order. Maybe combine Hardowa and Kipp (two bruisers) and Campanale with Beck (Campanale can compensate for Beck's mistakes). Or how about that Knodel or Agosta kid? (can't stop beating that dead horse)

Comment

Second game in a row Kipp and Beck had troubles clearing the puck out of UNH's end. A shakeup might be in order. Maybe combine Hardowa and Kipp (two bruisers) and Campanale with Beck (Campanale can compensate for Beck's mistakes). Or how about that Knodel or Agosta kid? (can't stop beating that dead horse)
                      A dead horse or not, UNH is going to have 3 Dmen spots open next year... which at this point will be filled by 3 unexperienced Dmen. Pretty scary..

The team as a whole has had an awful time getting the puck out of their own end as of late. The first line especially (when you consider the talent they have)

Comment

Originally posted by Saetia22 View Post
                        A dead horse or not, UNH is going to have 3 Dmen spots open next year... which at this point will be filled by 3 unexperienced Dmen. Pretty scary..
                        The team as a whole has had an awful time getting the puck out of their own end as of late. The first line especially (when you consider the talent they have)
                        That's for sure. I wonder how much of that is them playing with less intensity now that DiGi has proven himself to be a solid goalie?

Comment

I watched Campanale turn it over more than anyone tonight - I cannot figure out how/why a kid like Knodel cannot beat out Campanale or Beck for even a game or two of ice time (But Umile loves his seniors and at least you know what youre going to get with those two...). Kessel would/will be a huge whole to fill, but I have to think some combination of Knodel/Chevrier/TVR can more than replace Campanale/Beck...

Edit - you know who would be great next year (or this year for that matter)...Joey Lel...eh, never mind...
                          Last edited by Dan; 11-23-2010, 09:50 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            I watched Campanale turn it over more than anyone tonight - I cannot figure out how/why a kid like Knodel cannot beat out Campanale or Beck for even a game or two of ice time (But Umile loves his seniors and at least you know what youre going to get with those two...). Kessel would/will be a huge whole to fill, but I have to think some combination of Knodel/Chevrier/TVR can more than replace Campanale/Beck...
                            Without thinking, I may be giving Campanale a pass. I may be watching Beck and Kipp too closely. Also, watching the game online is a poor substitute for actually being there. Has anyone seen Knodel and Agosta in practice? Are they that far away from seeing some icetime?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Edit - you know who would be great next year (or this year for that matter)...Joey Lel...eh, never mind...
                              Bite your tongue!

Comment

Without thinking, I may be giving Campanale a pass. I may be watching Beck and Kipp too closely. Also, watching the game online is a poor substitute for actually being there. Has anyone seen Knodel and Agosta in practice? Are they that far away from seeing some icetime?
                                I only know what I've heard which is probably no more than anyone else - my understanding is Agosta is a project (former roller hockey player with great hands and suspect skating), but Knodel is an NHL draft pick who had an offer to play at Colorado College last year. He would seem to be ready and I'm awfully surprised we havent seen him.

Umile loves to give his upperclassmen the first shot at playing time. And you have to figure that there was no reason to make a change while the team was playing so well. After the last two efforts I'd expect we might see a different lineup, to one degree or another, come Saturday...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X