Come Back With Your Shield, Or On It: MSU Spartan Hockey 2010-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come Back With Your Shield, Or On It: MSU Spartan Hockey 2010-11

With apologies and a nod to seanpc03, I believe the title really belongs this year ... seeing as there's a new emblem on center ice.

There's quite a bit of naysaying and doubting in the air because of the would-be seniors who left. But interestingly, with the return of last year's freshman group that sort of flew under the radar, this team has the potential for greater stability, and will be a solid foundation to which we can add a very intriguing 2011 freshman class.

So will this less-than-glitzy (should I say "blue collar"?) squad go further in the post season than the last two attempts? I think it all depends on certain juniors finally playing up to their potential (you know who they are), hitherto successful forwards contributing right away as freshmen, and the continuation of consistent goaltending.

Will Leveille to Gazely to Grant be synonymous with Tinkers to Evers to Chance? The mystery is soon to unfold!

Re: Come Back With Your Shield, Or On It: MSU Spartan Hockey 2010-11

Anybody hear anything about preliminary season ticket sales? Better? Worse? About the same?

We hemorrhaged a bunch last season - I'm hoping we've regained some lost ticketholders with our stronger play, though.
    Last edited by aallenpollreisz; 09-29-2010, 08:58 AM.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

With the $5 drop in price, one would hope numbers pick up. I know the ending left a bad taste for those who actually showed up in that abortive CCHA round 1 - but a 25% discount could mean the difference for a lot of people.
      I would love to say that attendance at the Western Ontario game serves as an omen (good or bad), but it just hasn't worked out that way. We practially pack the place for Notre Dame and get barely two thirds for others.
      I don't know if the gimmicks really worked.
      MSU just needs to play exciting hockey and somehow find a way to put a lot of pucks in the net to get the interest flowing again.

-- oh yeah and the Everbody's tradition needs to continue.
      Last edited by owslachief; 09-29-2010, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I didn't follow the offseason too closely, but I was surprised to see MSU picked third and fourth in the preseason CCHA polls. I see this team as more of a .500 in-league team.
        Providence College '03
        Michigan State University College of Law '07
        Fantasy College Hockey Champion: 2004, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by seanpc03 View Post
          I didn't follow the offseason too closely, but I was surprised to see MSU picked third and fourth in the preseason CCHA polls. I see this team as more of a .500 in-league team.
          Based on finishing the season in second place (CCHA) you would expect the preseason polls to reflect that, regardless of how the post-season went. I'm hoping that the team continues to surprise you.
          "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by seanpc03 View Post
            That's about where I have them. I think this team's ceiling is third and its floor is sixth.

This is a good, yet young team with solid defensive talent and good goaltending.
            66 - 86 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

Must admit, it was nice to see Mason at the football game earlier today.
              66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                Must admit, it was nice to see Mason at the football game earlier today.
                Hope to see him swing by our table this year a couple times. But when it's Florida, and it's winter ...

Comment

Checked out the Green and White game and had a great time. I thought it was pretty good hockey and a high level of play. I was quite encouraged. Krug and Shelgren really stood out to me.

Just about the most boring shootout i've ever seen though

I have a feeling we are gonna struggle in those.

Comment

I'm a little upset that Yanakeff was beaten on his first shot by a club team player. I also find it concerning how poorly he defends the corners... either he's caught sleeping, or he overreacts and flops to his gut.

But, seeing that it was the Green v. White game, I'm probably scrutinizing the kid way, way too much.

Palmy looked really good, but he still scrambles around the cage way too much.

Aside from that, tonight's scrimmage was perhaps the most entertaining I've seen while here. $2 well spent.
                    66 - 86 - 07

Comment

The thing I don't like about these scrimmages is it's difficult to tell who's going 100% and who's not.

I will say I was really impressed by a couple of our freshman. Wolfe looks like he's got all the tools. Palmisano looks ready to have a solid season. If he doesn't, McMahon will very capably step in. Yanakeff was tested early and often and gave up a couple goals.

The scoring:
                      Ben Marengo (green) on a bad clearing pass stepped in and fired it over Yanakeff's left shoulder - 1-0.
                      Gazley stepped around the net with the puck, hit Grant with a pass across the crease, and Grant buried it. 2-0.
                      Dean Chelios with a wrap-around goal - 2-1.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                        I'm a little upset that Yanakeff was beaten on his first shot by a club team player. I also find it concerning how poorly he defends the corners... either he's caught sleeping, or he overreacts and flops to his gut.

But, seeing that it was the Green v. White game, I'm probably scrutinizing the kid way, way too much.
                        Jeez, how 'bout instead giving the club kid credit for taking advantage of an opportunity? I was excited for him - heck, way to show off for the coaches!

Don't scrutinize things too much, or next thing you know you'll be like Angry Guy, complaining about no icing being called in the scrimmage ...
                        Last edited by Arwen22266; 10-04-2010, 10:35 PM.
                        "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                        - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          The thing I don't like about these scrimmages is it's difficult to tell who's going 100% and who's not.

I will say I was really impressed by a couple of our freshman. Wolfe looks like he's got all the tools. Palmisano looks ready to have a solid season. If he doesn't, McMahon will very capably step in. Yanakeff was tested early and often and gave up a couple goals.

The scoring:
                          Ben Marengo (green) on a bad clearing pass stepped in and fired it over Yanakeff's left shoulder - 1-0.
                          Gazley stepped around the net with the puck, hit Grant with a pass across the crease, and Grant buried it. 2-0.
                          Dean Chelios with a wrap-around goal - 2-1.
                          Kid's name is James Boyd. You got the wrong #26 ...
                          Very impressed by Wolfe. Kid has good wheels. On to Friday!
                          "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                          - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
                            Just about the most boring shootout i've ever seen though

I have a feeling we are gonna struggle in those.
                            At least our guys could put a couple home, unlike those folks in Ann Arbor ...
                            - Mark Twain

Comment

I've watched some threads regarding why folks don't cheer at MSU games here, on the RCMB and even FaceBook. I wonder if we can compare that to what we see in the forums? I've been looking for feedback from the G&W game and all I see are a few generic responses, yet go to the scUM threads and they get excited and discuss every aspect of each play for just about everything done by their players. I can get a good feel about pretty much every scUM player yet here we just have a couple of folks that talk about anything.

Let's get this moving, and we might even offend on occasion but that keeps it fun, right?

Defense - discuss:
                              Who's there? Krug, obviously...
                              Josepher, yes....
                              Crandell, yes....
                              Buttery, should be, could make a good match with Krug or Crandell. He should play a lot more this year...
                              Grassi, needs strong partner but makes a good match with Josepher..... Shelgren, needs strong partner, works well with Crandell as evidence over last two seasons show.....
                              Chelios, looked pretty good with Crandell in G&W game, might break into the lineup now. He has a huge upside...
                              Sturges, still struggling but he might get a chance this year....
                              Sandemeyer, will blossom but might not play a ton yet.
                              Did I miss anyone?
                              I see this as a potential start of season lineup:
                              Krug - Buttery
                              Josepher - Grassi
                              Crandell - Chelios

They may want to see Shelgren early and match him with Crandell or Josepher just to see, the next game is an exhibition so a lot can happen.

Forwards - discuss:
                              I have to admit that my web view made it hard to keep track of the lines and such during the G&W game, so this will need a lot of detail from those of you there.
                              Grant - Gazely - Laveille Is that right? This will stick
                              I thought that Perlini, Nill and Chelios were really visible and looked good on the screen. Also, Wolfe and Merrifield had good moments, but not sure how consistent.

OK, so I need help on the forwards, give me info... It was harder to see them.

Goalies: Of course Palmy, then to be honest I liked McMahon but that will have to work itself out and this wasn't the best way to see what they have.

Let's go folks, get some excitement going..
                              "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Working...
                              X