Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Come Back With Your Shield, Or On It: MSU Spartan Hockey 2010-11

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    Hollis isn't giving a hockey coach an $800,000 contract. Gwozdecky's out. I could see Cole to MSU happening, but I really don't think that'd be a good hire for us.

And frankly, I'd rather have Cole at tNTDP so we can rebuild some ties and break up Red's monopoly down the street.
    To a point. Red's hold on that pipeline seems to be weakening - but not to our advantage. They're flowing to Notre Dame, Miami, the Northeast/Ivy schools and North Dakota it seems.

Comment

I have a question for those that are closer to the action than I am: Why not give Renfrew or Newton the reigns? Here's how they can do this.... have Comley "retire" so to speak, have him take some time off and give one of these guys the interim job as a tryout of sorts. See if they can get some changes to take hold, and if they can get the team on their side, them give them a two-year shot. If things appear to not change, then go out for a search. Hollis could suggest that Comley go on a recruiting trip, maybe down to Florida for two or three months, and then get some regrouping to take place.

What say you?
      "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
        To a point. Red's hold on that pipeline seems to be weakening - but not to our advantage. They're flowing to Notre Dame, Miami, the Northeast/Ivy schools and North Dakota it seems.
        Look at the facilities at ND, Miami and UND. I would too.
        "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
        - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
          I have a question for those that are closer to the action than I am: Why not give Renfrew or Newton the reigns? Here's how they can do this.... have Comley "retire" so to speak, have him take some time off and give one of these guys the interim job as a tryout of sorts. See if they can get some changes to take hold, and if they can get the team on their side, them give them a two-year shot. If things appear to not change, then go out for a search. Hollis could suggest that Comley go on a recruiting trip, maybe down to Florida for two or three months, and then get some regrouping to take place.

What say you?
          Florida? What you're suggesting would be disastrous. He'll want to switch to doing a little recruiting for Jake Boss Jr. - say from November to March and we'd never see him and his fine motivational strategery behind the bench again.

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
          Look at the facilities at ND, Miami and UND. I would too.
          Notre Dame!? Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves? I mean the sketches are pretty and all.

Comment

Originally posted by inverted stein View Post
            Notre Dame!? Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves? I mean the sketches are pretty and all.
            Well, their new barn is opening next year...
            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
            66 - 86 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

A little bit of knowledge: Players really aren't all that impressed with facilities when it comes time to sign the paperwork. They are more impressed with the history of the team, AND the coaches and what they are getting done at the time. Parents are impressed, and the young guys are impressed, and of course they mention the facilities (when they're nice) to the press when introduced, but in reality it's not that big of a deal. If it were, scUM would never get a legitimate NHL player there, yet they all want to play for Red. (yes, they do.... ) The recruiting process is something that those of us out here watching will never fully understand. But I do know that who the coach is, and what they are doing is HUGE to the top players.
              "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

www.FerrisStateBulldogs.com game preview for Michigan State on January 27th, 2011:

http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...review_1-24-11

www.Twitter.com/FerrisHockey

Comment

I finally can grasp last weekends games. Friday night we got every bounce you could think of. Plus as a bonus Miami didn't dress either the defense or bring a goalie to the game. We've all seen better Atoms in goal. On the positive side MSU held its ground when Miami applied the pressure to try to get back into the game. Saturday was business as usual. The players appear to be deer in the headlights and paralyzed into playing like Zombies.

I saw the article in USA Hockey about the "big Chill". It brought up bad memories. Maybe the boys will use this to play better this weekend. The picture was very nice.
                  Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Comley is retiring
                    Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
                      Comley is retiring
                      "A thorough national search will begin immediately to identify Coach Comley's successor as the head coach of the Michigan State hockey program," said Hollis. "Hockey is important to our athletic department and our campus community, as well as to our fans."

Did he say what I think he said?

Comment

I hope his players come together and send him out on a positive note. It would make for a perfect ending. Today there was certainly a positive step.

Comment

Needless to say, Coach Comley's retirement could have a big impact here in Hockey Valley.
                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

So, here's the e-mail I just sent to Mark Hollis...

I am a current student at Michigan State, and am a rabid fan of college hockey. I have, quite literally, followed the sport ever since I was three years old, and most of my favorite MSU-related memories have taken place at Munn Ice Arena. Michigan State hockey plays a very significant role in my life, and thus, this upcoming decision would impact me greatly.

First, let me thank Rick Comley for his admirable service. He was one of the best ambassadors to this university, and, overall, a genuinely decent human being. The world needs more Rick Comleys.

In your search of a head hockey coach, please consider these individuals:

- Frank Serratore at Air Force. Serratore, despite struggling at DU, has worked magic at Air Force, nearly reaching the Frozen Four a couple of seasons ago. He gets the absolute most out of his limited talent and limited resources, has great energy, a great zeal for hockey, his teams play a very up-tempo style, and this community would fall in love with him.
                            - Keith Allain at Yale is having a miracle season and would be a massive home run. He'd probably be pretty affordable, too.
                            - Bob Daniels, despite being relatively old, has done an admirable job at Ferris State. He also has MSU ties.
                            - I'd like Newell Brown, too. He was a former assistant under Mason during the late 80s, and coached at Michigan Tech for two seasons. He didn't do that well at Tech, but nobody has done well at that job since the 1970s. His professional coaching career is pretty solid, however: Four winning seasons as the head coach of the Adirondack Red Wings of the AHL, and an extensive career as an assistant with the Ducks, Blackhawks, and Blue Jackets. Of those realistically available, Newell has the best experience.

All that said, I don't support a hire of Danton Cole. UAH was in decent shape when Doug Ross retired. Ross established some vital recruiting pipelines and was fielding a mildly competitive team. When Cole took over, he did nothing with Ross' established framework and the Chargers struggled in a wretched College Hockey America conference before it folded. Fact is, the program progressed under Ross. I can't say Cole continued that progression. I find this very concerning.

Thank you for your time.
                            If we landed Allain or Serratore, I would do a backflip.
                            66 - 86 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

Hey, a real phone call which just took place seconds ago...

Me: "Hello?"
                              Tape: "Hello Bronco Hockey fans, this is the head coach of your Western Michigan Broncos, Jeff Blashill..."
                              Me: Hangs up phone.

I regret heading down to Lawson Arena for that series a while back. Seriously, though, Western? Telemarketing? That's so 1993.
                              66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                                I hope his players come together and send him out on a positive note. It would make for a perfect ending. Today there was certainly a positive step.
                                Absolutely. I would love nothing more than for the team to send him off with a good ending. It starts this thursday.

Comment

Working...
                                X