X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Come Back With Your Shield, Or On It: MSU Spartan Hockey 2010-11

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    Also, Hunwick's a *****.
    That was pretty disappointing on Chumwick's part. He's always been a great story, allowed to walk on because of his brother and then perform to an almost All-American level. His lack of character was pretty pathetic for someone I always considered a stand-up guy.

Big Willie looked like the second coming of Miller.

Krug played out of his mind.

Daults was in this game more than I've ever seen him a game.

The 10 on Gazer was BS.
    Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency!

Comment

Originally posted by MCB View Post
      The 10 on Gazer was BS.
      What exactly was it for? I actually didn't even realize it happened until i noticed he was still in the box well after his penalty.

Was it for talkin' to the ref? It couldn't have been for the tussle with their goalie. Yeah, Gazley skated through and probably jawed a bit but it was Hunwick who straight up clocked him.

Comment

That was pretty disappointing on Chumwick's part. He's always been a great story, allowed to walk on because of his brother and then perform to an almost All-American level. His lack of character was pretty pathetic for someone I always considered a stand-up guy.
        Chumwick, I like that. He showed his true colors tonight as far as lack of character. Nice acting job in the third period, ***hat.
        "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
        - Mark Twain

Comment

It was important to come out of this weekend with a split. But it's a bit disheartening to see the Spartans turned away yet again on U-M home ice without a goal. I don't think Hunwick had to make a single difficult save. On a side note - if he needs a good backup plan for a career path ...
          Palmisano was solid in an "emergency start"; by the time the forth goal went in he and the rest had very little starch left.
          Good games from Merrifield and Reimer - and especially from Gazley, who was a very determined skater and shooter. Very disappointed to see some pretty good odd-man rushes fizzle. Grant absolutely needs to do something about his stick work. How many 2-on-1's did we leave on the doorstep?

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
            Chumwick, I like that. He showed his true colors tonight as far as lack of character. Nice acting job in the third period, ***hat.
            I didn't really agree with the first call, it was Hunwick's fault for waiting so long to play the puck. As for the second call...the puck was out of the zone, Krug was way behind the play, and went out of his way to pull at the goalie's legs with his stick in front of a referee. Even if Hunwick embellished, as you claim, Krug still deserves 2 minutes for doing something so stupid.

The 10 on Gazer was BS.
            He had some choice words for the referee after he got his first penalty for dragging down Hagelin. Can't expect any favors from the ref after you do something like that.

Comment

[QUOTE= Yeah, Gazley skated through and probably jawed a bit but it was Hunwick who straight up clocked him.[/QUOTE]

http://www.msuspartans.com/view.gal?id=84515 Look at photo 13 i believe...Also what happened to the automatic 5 min game misconduct for contact to the head? Does that not apply to goalies??
              Last edited by gomsuman; 01-09-2011, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                http://www.msuspartans.com/view.gal?id=84515 Look at photo 13 i believe...Also what happened to the automatic 5 min game misconduct for contact to the head? Does that not apply to goalies??
                Apparently not if you play for Michigan. I watched Hogan do the same thing last year at the Joe and no call at all. Also, at GLI this year, Glendenning was straddling some guy from Tech and punched him in the face- no call. So, I guess contact to the head only applies to other teams.

TV announcers called Hunwick the "Hero of the game." Gag. Heroes play with integrity; they don't punch people in the head or take dives.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyGirl011 View Post
                  TV announcers called Hunwick the "Hero of the game." Gag. Heroes play with integrity; they don't punch people in the head or take dives.
                  I found myself hoping that somebody would just absolutely smoke him behind the net. If he's gonna hit the ice and draw a call, might as well make it real.

I honestly thought for 2 periods we played pretty well last night. We caused turnovers and had good transitions in the neutral zone. The third came around and it looked as if we had finally run out of gas. From the drop of the puck to start the third, we were on our heels. Michigan's speed advantage was glaringly obvious in the final 20 minutes. Pretty disappointing.

I saw some Red Wings in us last night, but not the good kind. The kind where we don't shoot the **** puck when given a good opportunity. I was beyond frustrated when Grant fudged that shorthanded 2 on 1 that ended up resulting in the penalty to make it 5 on 3. Adding to that, i am not sure i can even count how many times we Darren Helm'd it right into Hunwick's chest. Oh well, gotta move on.

Well, overall, I think we should feel good about the weekend. We got the exciting home win and I think strides have been taken since the break.

6 points or bust this weekend, however.

Comment

The Spartans need to make sure that the forwards score. It was great to see Krug get a hat-trick, but if this team wants to win games, the scoring needs to come from the forwards more and more. Let's face it, UM wasn't going to let Tory get those chances again the very next night, so guess who needed to get those goals?

I really don't see a major fault in how the team plays, they JUST NEED TO SCORE! Unless they break that issue on a consistent basis, the rest is academic. No goals means it doesn't matter what happens in net or in front of it, really.
                    "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
                      I really don't see a major fault in how the team plays, they JUST NEED TO SCORE! Unless they break that issue on a consistent basis, the rest is academic. No goals means it doesn't matter what happens in net or in front of it, really.
                      The major fault I see is players who appear to be looking for the perfect shot, and in the process hanging on to the puck too long. Just throw it at the net, follow your shot if it doesn't get there and hope one of your teammates is in the neighborhood to pick up a rebound. Doesn't have to be pretty - just has to get in there. Just my .02.
                      Last edited by Arwen22266; 01-10-2011, 10:31 PM.
                      "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                      - Mark Twain

Comment

Agree. There are no extra points for pretty goals. Shoot and crash, crash and shoot...
                        "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Not to throw cold water on a so-so weekend, but wut is the deal with the $133 sweaters, Nike?

Cue expresssion of incredulity:
                          *****http://i94.***********.com/albums/l95/Kaijed/What-1.gif******

Oh for the days of the $75 official gear.

Comment

It's called greed, and I would guess it's not giving the school all that much. Crazy!

Comment

I see that I was not the only one who noticed the progression from $75 twill sweaters, to $75 sweaters with glue-on embellishments, to $75 screen print sweaters, to $130 twill sweaters.
                              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                              66 - 86 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

I see there's another Krug article, this one in College Hockey News.

Comment

Working...
                                X