Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Come Back With Your Shield, Or On It: MSU Spartan Hockey 2010-11

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
    Don't tar everyone with the same brush. There are plenty of us who are out there talking up the team, asking friends if they plan to attend games and actively cheering at the arena. Not to mention those of us who spend significant amounts of money traveling to road games ... Not posting on a message board is no indicator of how some of us support Michigan State Hockey. If anything, it's an indicator of busy lives - into which we fit our commitment to the Spartans.
    Just trying to keep some banter up. Come on once a day and post something, even if it's to say that you're thankful MSU isn't SCSU... (check it out...) And see what happens when the picture is painted with a broad brush, the bristles start to speak. (ok, it's Friday and my mind is just a bit frizzed...) I know there's support, but let's just keep talking about it. Post something... ;-)

GO GREEN!

edit: I hated having to go to the third page to find this.. so gotta rile up the masses. nothing personal
    "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

I agree that a first round bye is going to be near impossible. This team should be thinking about home for the first round, and that will be hard as well. However... the key (I think) is to be digging and fighting for every crumb while getting ready to battle through the playoffs. I hate to use scUM as an example, but look at what they pulled off last year. The Spartan Nation needs to be thinking the same thing. If they lose a game, focus on the effort. If they give up, then kick their behinds and remind them that they represent more than just themselves.

I have hope, but I don't expect them to go undefeated from this point, just fight for every chance.
      "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

They represent The Hat.

Look for a Ferret Party tonight in the SE corner.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
          I agree that a first round bye is going to be near impossible. This team should be thinking about home for the first round, and that will be hard as well. However... the key (I think) is to be digging and fighting for every crumb while getting ready to battle through the playoffs. I hate to use scUM as an example, but look at what they pulled off last year. The Spartan Nation needs to be thinking the same thing. If they lose a game, focus on the effort. If they give up, then kick their behinds and remind them that they represent more than just themselves.

I have hope, but I don't expect them to go undefeated from this point, just fight for every chance.
          I understand your use of last year's U-M run as a means to offer hope- but the circumstances are not the same. Last year's MSU team collapsed- and from the outside it appeared that certain players became disgruntled and checked out long before declaring for the NHL-culminating in that playoff debacle at Munn. I don't see any difference right now in their collective effort, except MSU has three NHL draft choices + Krug that potentially *could* leave, but probably aren't ready. Many are pointing at Comley- and only you guys can answer that. The roster talent level suggests that it should be better than the record indicates, but maybe not at the same level as MSU fans expect, which means that they cannot take any effort breaks.

Conversely, Michigan under performed all last season, even with their 12-13 NHL draftees. They finally matched effort to their talent at the end of the season. Big difference from what you guys are facing.

Comment

Anybody want to take a stab at the number of UM fans that'll be in the building tonight? I'm hedging my bets at around 3,000.
            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
            66 - 86 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
              Anybody want to take a stab at the number of UM fans that'll be in the building tonight? I'm hedging my bets at around 3,000.
              Who the **** cares. The Morgue could barely compete with the row & 1/2 contingent from Huntsville.
              3 NHL draft choices + Krug? Leave early? Wut? SHOCKING! (courtesy The Hat).

Comment

Originally posted by inverted stein View Post
                Who the **** cares. The Morgue could barely compete with the row & 1/2 contingent from Huntsville.
                3 NHL draft choices + Krug? Leave early? Wut? SHOCKING! (courtesy The Hat).
                Has anyone checked you for mind-altering substances lately?
                "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                - Mark Twain

Comment

Back from China and there appears to be no change. Are we now as apathetic as this team. It seems as if this roster isn't working so try some of the kids who are riding thw bench. Last year Perlini was non-existent until the GLI. Try a new approach this one isn't working on the ice, in the stands or in this forum.
                  Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Well apparently a couple of cute ladyfriends of mine are making it out to their first msu hockey game tonight so hopefully we make it a good show.

Comment

If the Spartans had played this well in the first period last week they would have played for the championship. Two to go.

Comment

Now that's a huge boost - how many times have we been on the wrong end of these OT in recent campaigns.
                        Of course, the tying goal was a bit of a stinker. Yanakeff was crosschecked back into his net a moment before the puck went in. Unfortunately it can't be part of the review.

Comment

Holy hell, that feels so good. I never feels safe with leads against Michigan and those fears were only realized. That tying goal was just crushing.

We played pretty **** well for the most part. Michigan has some wonderful speed and it really burned us a few times. On their first goal, i think it was Langlais, took about 4 strides and was at 150% speed to pick Gazley's pocket who looked like was about to break out a sure 2 on 1. That was an incredible play.

There were too many positives to cover them all. The team played. We got a good number of scoring chances and at times really controlled the play. What an uplifting game.

Everyone needed that win. The coaches, players, fans...that was huge.

EDIT: Upon watching the big 10 replay, it was Rust who had that nice backcheck setting up the first UM goal, not Langlais. Whatever, not that any of us care.
                          Last edited by Pirateasaurus; 01-08-2011, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Copy and paste alert:

For the most part, I was pleased with tonight's performance. We had an amazing amount of jump - something that's been missed all season, frankly. We were defensively solid, we took shots on the power play, and we sustained offensive pressure. We wanted this game.

I was very pleased with Yanakeff's play in-net. The guy still gave up some significant rebounds, but he did an excellent job keeping sight of the puck and stopping shots. For a young goaltender in his first really big game, it was an excellent performance.

Us nearly choking the game away near the end was unfortunate. It was total deja vu and a story I've seen play out all season: Hold a two-goal lead for 54 minutes (or so), give up a goal on the kill, give up another when the opposing goaltender is pulled with seconds left, then hold on for dear life in the overtime period. It was nice to finally see that similar framework play out positively for us for once, but it needs to stop now. (Actually, it needed to stop after the Friday game against UAH, but late is better than never.)

Great night for Krug. Guy worked hard all night, blocked some shots, and netted a hat-trick. Kid's a spark plug when his head's on straight.

Also, Hunwick's a *****.

Will be interesting how we respond at Yost tomorrow. I was very critical of this team when they fell victim to the atmosphere at Lawson: They lost focus, committed some of the dumbest penalties I've seen in a long time, and set themselves up for failure. Yost tomorrow night will be ten times the atmosphere that Lawson was on that Saturday night in November. We need to keep our emotions in check and focus on playing tomorrow night like we played tonight.

With 10 losses already, we need tomorrow night's game just as badly as we needed tonight's contest
                            Last edited by aallenpollreisz; 01-26-2011, 07:34 PM.
                            Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                            66 - 86 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                            59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

This team needs to keep this "edge", win or lose. All that they can do is work towards playoff contention, and playing like they did last night will help towards that goal.

Comment

The offensive output since christmas has been a wonderful sign. We certainly had no shortage of great chances last night and considering Michigan is a solid defensive team, that is awesome to see. 13 goals in 3 games is a huge confidence booster for our guys. While our powerplay goals were scored on 5-3 PP's, the other pp's for the most part did a good job creating scoring opportunities; another positive sign.

I thoroughly enjoyed having another tall goaltender in net for us. I feel like it's been about a decade since we've had a goalie that stood much taller than the crossbar. Yanakeff could be a special weapon in the future.

I am going to try not to worry too much about the game tonight. Last night was emotionally draining enough. I think we can get the win but it will be much more difficult. Whatever the outcome, we've got a lot to build off of for a second half run.

Again, feels great for the players, coaches and fans.
                                Last edited by Pirateasaurus; 01-08-2011, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X