PDA

View Full Version : how come?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

French Rage
09-28-2010, 03:41 PM
There are regularly 2-3 Ivy teams in the top 10??? Cornell has poked in for most of the last decade, Harvard has been in a fraction of the time, and Yale even less so as it has only been for the last couple years. I'd say at best there've been 1.5 teams in the top 10, maybe closer to 1.

Happy
09-28-2010, 06:24 PM
Popular opinion insists that the success of a D1 college hockey program absolutely depends upon 18 hockey scholarships and a roster which relies upon recruits who will probably leave college after a year or two.

Facing these (reportedly) insuperable obstacles how come the Ivy League manages to regularly put two or three schools in the top ten D1 hockey programs? Better coaching? Brighter players? More stable rosters? Smarter recruiting? Any opinions about this phenomenon, excluding outbursts of scatology?

ivy hockey teams give out more scholarships than any other. thus, they tend to underachieve in my opinion.

TimP
09-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Harvard seems to always have one of the top 10 recruiting classes in the country. I'd hardly say that the admissions department is holding them back.

huskyfan
09-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Harvard seems to always have one of the top 10 recruiting classes in the country. I'd hardly say that the admissions department is holding them back.

Michigan has the best recruiting class

LtPowers
09-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Both people were prepared by their institutions for their eventual career paths.

Why is one necessarily better than the other?

Well, presumably the rocket scientist will be a professional rocket scientist until she retires. But the hockey player will only be a professional hockey player for twenty years, if they're lucky. If they don't have a college degree once their playing career is over, their options become much more limited.

That said, given the time issue, it only makes sense to start that pro career as early as possible; there's time for degree-getting once the joints start giving out.

Powers &8^]

dxmnkd316
09-28-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm calling bullsh*t. This guy can't be real. I'm thinking either Sloe Gin or one of the Tech fans are screwing with us.

KnowItAll
09-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Ivy League females don't shave; they go for that Euro/green/'back to nature' (hairy legs, hairy pits, hairy backs :eek: ) thing.

Without females to focus on, they devote that extra time to hockey.

And they still don't win the Title.

we have a winner..... and oso, i gotta ask if the aspergers is official

Runninwiththedogs
09-28-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm calling bullsh*t. This guy can't be real. I'm thinking either Sloe Gin or one of the Tech fans are screwing with us.

I don't think Geist knows any of those words.

KnowItAll
09-28-2010, 11:35 PM
Same kid plays on the hockey team, gets selected to become a professional athlete and pursues that career path, and this is seen as a failure on the part of the school.

?
jared ross was aeronautical? the goalie?
or am i missing the other pro?

LynahFan
09-29-2010, 12:55 AM
Well, presumably the rocket scientist will be a professional rocket scientist until she retires. But the hockey player will only be a professional hockey player for twenty years, if they're lucky. If they don't have a college degree once their playing career is over, their options become much more limited.
Any college hockey player who has a 20 year professional career should not need to worry about his "options" after he is done playing. A 20-year career implies that he spent at least a good chunk of that time at the NHL level - almost nobody hangs around the AHL or ECHL for 20 years.

And if his playing career is only 4-5 years in the minors and he decides to hang them up at that point, he's at most 30 years old, and there are still lots of options available - there are plenty of 30 year olds working on undergraduate degrees.

That said, given the time issue, it only makes sense to start that pro career as early as possible; there's time for degree-getting once the joints start giving out.
Agreed.

Yager
09-29-2010, 01:31 AM
how come? because you touch yourself at night.

sbkbghockey
09-29-2010, 02:00 AM
He is annoying.
Cause he's missing chromosomes.
I blame his parents.

Let's be nice now

Maybe he's had too many slap shots to the head or concussions from hits from behind!! :p :p

That brings me to my next point:
Properly secure your helmet kids!

Jon
09-29-2010, 08:39 AM
ivy hockey teams give out more scholarships than any other. thus, they tend to underachieve in my opinion.

Those scholarships are headed Down the Tubes.

fangers
09-29-2010, 08:52 AM

I read it as Mike was talking in general terms, comparing a "regular" student who co-ops/interns vs. an athlete who leaves early and the apparent double standard, not necessarily talking about any specific player...

MikeAnderson
09-29-2010, 12:13 PM

Plenty of pros out of UAH, only two have laced 'em up in the NHL, though. Ross and Munroe.

While mine was a hypothetical situation, there have been a fair share of MAE (and other engineering) majors among hockey players in the 31-year history of the program.

(At least) One even became a doctor (http://www.huntsville-gastroenterology.com/ferrante-bio.shtml).

KnowItAll
09-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Plenty of pros out of UAH, only two have laced 'em up in the NHL, though. Ross and Munroe.

While mine was a hypothetical situation, there have been a fair share of MAE (and other engineering) majors among hockey players in the 31-year history of the program.

(At least) One even became a doctor (http://www.huntsville-gastroenterology.com/ferrante-bio.shtml).

do you know Munroe's and Ross's majors?
just wondering.

Juneau from RPI was a pretty brilliant engineer, unlike Oatsie (who was handsome).

nmupiccdiva
09-29-2010, 02:16 PM
http://i159.***********.com/albums/t143/Viper_Ultimatesinner/Haku.jpg

The Sicatoka
09-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Michigan has the best recruiting class

Yeah, and water is wet and the sun rose in the east this morning.

Osorojo
09-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Those scholarships are headed Down the Tubes.

Jon: You and Yappy should get on the hot line to the NCAA immediately and report your claim that Ivy League schools are flagrantly violating the 18 scholarship limit. The nerve of those snobs!

Do you know just how many scholarship players there are on any specific Ivy League school? Are you willing to reveal this information? Say, you don't suppose the Ivies can get away with such abuses because they award academic scholarships which are not subject to the same restrictions as athletic scholarships, do you?

On the other hand, if awarding numerous scholarships to scholar-athletes provides some D1 hockey teams with a big advantage what's to stop other colleges from doing the same? Loyal fans and alumni could easily afford to establish scholarships for talented scholar-athletes, if supporters had the desire to do so.

jcarter7669
09-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Jon: You and Yappy should get on the hot line to the NCAA immediately and report your claim that Ivy League schools are flagrantly violating the 18 scholarship limit. The nerve of those snobs!

Do you know just how many scholarship players there are on any specific Ivy League school? Are you willing to reveal this information? Say, you don't suppose the Ivies can get away with such abuses because they award academic scholarships which are not subject to the same restrictions as athletic scholarships, do you?

On the other hand, if awarding numerous scholarships to scholar-athletes provides some D1 hockey teams with a big advantage what's to stop other colleges from doing the same? Loyal fans and alumni could easily afford to establish scholarships for talented scholar-athletes, if supporters had the desire to do so.

http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/attachments/random-thoughts/158815d1253135557-demotivational-posters-funny-but-sad-allaboardthefailbaotmd0.jpg