Re: USA Today Preseason Poll

Originally posted by moose97 View Post
    '05-'06 - pre-season #3
    '06-'07 - pre-season #2
    '07-'08 - pre-season #2
    '08-'09 - pre-season #1
    '09-'10 - pre-season #12

Seems to me that '08-'09 was the only season BC was "overhyped."
    Seems to me that in that five year window, they underachieved just once and clearly overachieved in 08 and 10 based on the rankings. I'll grant you Michigan and Minnesota, but there's no way on Earth Boston College was overhyped. That five year run is historical, not anything resembling underachieving or being overhyped.

Comment

Originally posted by goldy_331 View Post
      So why did you say they are overhyped?
      I'm really not sure now.

It's kinda funny really... the preseason pollsters put BC at #2 at the beginning of the 2007-2008 season. Michigan, in comparison, gets ranked at #10 to start the year. The Wolverines are ranked #1 on March 24th, 2008 with a 31-5-4 record. At the same time, the Eagles are ranked #7 with a 21-11-8 record. At that point in time, according to the polls (which are a measure of hype) BC had underperformed their lofty preseason expectations.

At the same time, Michigan surly outperformed their preseason ranking, but underperformed their March 24th ranking by NOT winning the National Championship.

A post season poll would be a more effective way to measure... but maybe I should have just started out with the disclaimer that it's a measure of hype for the REGULAR SEASON ONLY. I mean, if you asked Eagles fans on March 7th about how they though the season had gone thus far, they might tell you that they were excited for the playoffs, but they may have also lamented that 11 losses and 8 ties were more than they anticipated.

Again though, I'll reiterate that BC is a fantastic playoff team. If anything, they should be ranked higher at THE END OF THE YEAR because of what's to come. However, the trend is that they start ranked high and begin to fall throughout the course of the REGULAR SEASON.
      scsuhockey.com
      CollegeHockeyRecruitExchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
        That five year run is historical, not anything resembling underachieving or being overhyped.
        DU won three NC's in four years and has gone back to back three different times.

Michigan won NC's in 5 of 6 seasons and finished third the other year.

Comment

What??? UAH isn't in there? You know they will be the leader in their category... in fact they will lead every phase of the game in their category!!!
          Doug
          UAH 1974
          Charger Hockey - Born 1979 ~ Killed 2012
          Executioner: Malcom Portera - Chancellor, University of Alabama System
          Reason: Hates all things not in Tuscaloosa (i.e. UAH & UAB)
          Revived: Two Months Later - Thanks Nathan et al... Save UAH Hockey
          Reborn: 1/17/2013 - Thanks Bob - Thanks WCHA!!!

Comment

Again, flawless logic being utilized. I guess Melrose was wrong, you dont need to be a genius to attend RIT afterall...
            Did I say I went to RIT? And yeah, you have to be pretty smart to go there and to stay there.

Everybody puts stock in poll's, using them to determine their teams relative 'greatness' in their sport but are really anything more than a 'guess'by a bunch of sport writers?

Everybody has their own opinion on the various polls and where their team and others should be and there's nothing wrong with that.

Am I feeling good when RIT or Maine or the University of Miami (football and baseball) are up in the polls? Why yes I am......but it doesn't mean they are going to make it to the finals. RIT was outside the top 25 all of last season but managed to make it to Detroit. A bunch of teams in the top 10 didn't make it out of regionals so in doing the math, the pre-season polls really don't mean anything when it comes down to who's going to have a good season and who's not.

From a fan's perspective, I think we all view our favorite teams higher than they may be sometimes and put down teams we see as rivals. Being in HE and AHA land, I really don't think much about teams out west during the season and only see them here during the play-offs. I think it's the same for you guys out west and unless you jump into the different forums, probably don't know what the teams on the east coast are doing this year.

I'm sure BC will be in the HE tourney and there will be much joy in NH and ME if they beat them then, only time will tell and here's hoping RIT does well again this year and makes the Frozen Four again, because that's what fans do.
            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
              A bunch of teams in the top 10 didn't make it out of regionals so in doing the math, the pre-season polls really don't mean anything when it comes down to who's going to have a good season and who's not.
              You used math to figure this out?
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                DU won three NC's in four years and has gone back to back three different times.

Michigan won NC's in 5 of 6 seasons and finished third the other year.
                It's not unprecedented, but its still historical, especially in this age of the NHL and Major Jr defections.

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post

I'm sure BC will be in the HE tourney and there will be much joy in NH and ME if they beat them then, only time will tell and here's hoping RIT does well again this year and makes the Frozen Four again, because that's what fans do.
                  Well, BC fans such as myself are hoping somehow they can make it to the Hockey East playoffs and maybe make it to the semis. You never know, with any luck, BC could find their way into the finals and even make the NCAA tournament. Fingers crossed.

Comment

No, doing so would deny BC the joy of slapping Miami of Ohio around again along the way...
                    Shut it.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't remind you that "Miami of Ohio" is not an official designation for Miami University.
                    http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                      Shut it.

Oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't remind you that "Miami of Ohio" is not an official designation for Miami University.
                      Would you prefer the "Other Miami"?

Comment

Would you prefer the "Other Miami"?
                        LOL.

It's Boston Community College, right?
                        http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

LOL.

No- College of Boston- part of the University of Boston....

Although, I'm not so sure what a degree in Boston gets you.

Comment

LOL.

Nah, we just go by CHAMPS nowadays...

Comment

2005-2006 - National Runner Up
                              2006-2007 - National Runner Up
                              2007-2008 - National Champion
                              2008-2009 - Fail
                              2009-2010- National Champion

Overhyped? really? Good Lord...
                              Clearly you were supposed to win all five... silly Eagles.

No, doing so would deny BC the joy of slapping Miami of Ohio around again along the way...
                              AND YOU CAN'T CANCEL BEANPOT!
                              Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                You used math to figure this out?
                                Yes, but I have to admit, it wasn't very difficult.

I used long division and a modified version of a rational number.

I'd show my work but my dog ate it.
                                Last edited by blazer777; 09-29-2010, 02:42 PM.
                                RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Working...
                                X