4 Minnesota ( 1) 26- 9-5 98 3
    5 Wisconsin 18-15-3 87 NR
    6 Boston University 17- 9-12 86 8
    7 Clarkson 23-12-5 51 5
    8 Harvard 20- 8-5 35 4
    9 Boston College 8-17-10 32 NR
    10 New Hampshire 19- 9-5 18 7
    10 Providence 15-11-9 18 NR
    Others Receiving Votes: Ohio State 9, North Dakota 4, St. Lawrence 2, Quinnipiac 1
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Re: 2010-2011 Division I Polls

USA Today / USA Hockey Magazine
    Women's College Hockey Poll - September 28, 2010
    No.
    1.Minnesota Duluth
    2. Cornell
    3. Mercyhurst
    4. Boston University
    5. Wisconsin
    6. Minnesota
    7. Clarkson
    8. Boston College
    9. Harvard
    10. The Ohio State

Others receiving votes: University of New Hampshire, 10; Providence College, 10; University of North Dakota, 7; St. Lawrence University, 4; Syracuse University, 4.
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Moving this to where it ought to be.....
      Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
      USCHO Polls for 10/4/10

1 Minnesota-Duluth (12) 0-0-0 141 1
      2 Cornell ( 1) 0-0-0 123 2
      3 Mercyhurst ( 1) 2-0-0 118 3
      4 Minnesota ( 1) 2-0-0 110 4
      5 Wisconsin 2-0-0 102 5
      6 Boston University 1-1-0 65 6
      7 Harvard 0-0-0 39 8
      8 New Hampshire 1-0-0 34 10
      9 Boston College 0-0-0 32 9
      10 North Dakota 1-1-0 30 NR

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=...#ixzz11PnSU0u3
      Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
      That looks about right.
      Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
      So, let's start some controversy....

You lose one first place vote to Mercyhurst, who....fine....played very well against St. Cloud....but...

You also lost one first place vote to Cornell who didn't even play an exhibition game, while UMD played 2 exhibition games.

Somewhere, there's a pollster who had no other information to go on except for the two exhbition games, who decided..... nahhhh, they're not #1 after all!
      Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

As has been said at least 1,000 times, polls this early mean virtually nothing. The best as can be said for them is relative to each other, maybe this is where this or that team stands.

I have no idea if UMD is #1 . . . my best guess is that (as per usual with UMD) they will play their best hockey late in the year when the stakes are the highest. They are implementing a new offense, but based on what I saw in the exhibition games, they are really going to love it and thrive. They will likely also give up more goals than usual and will likely be very challenged by teams with speed and passing prowess.

It seems to me the season about to unfold in front of us (women's hockey fans) will be one of the most competitive and exciting to date! I'm looking forward to it and wish all teams the best - and to stay healthy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
          As has been said at least 1,000 times, polls this early mean virtually nothing.
          Kill joy! Some people know how to ruin all the fun.

We all know this means nothing.... can't we pick on the UMD fans anyway?

Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
            We all know this means nothing.... can't we pick on the UMD fans anyway?
            Of course you can. You can also come stand in front of the Bulldog trophy case and gawk if you'd like. We used to let Gopher fans do that, but it was impossible to get them out of the building.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephPSchmoe View Post
              Of course you can. You can also come stand in front of the Bulldog trophy case and gawk if you'd like. We used to let Gopher fans do that, but it was impossible to get them out of the building.
              Being from Boston, we're used to Yankees fans and Canadiens fans doing this to us all the time. Somehow it doesn't keep us from talking a little smack every once in a while.

That said, Touche`

But for real, what was going through the mind of that one pollster? Don't ya wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post

It seems to me the season about to unfold in front of us (women's hockey fans) will be one of the most competitive and exciting to date! I'm looking forward to it and wish all teams the best - and to stay healthy!!!
                Amen...I couldn't agree more with this statement. I just wish there were some better teams coming to the MIC this year however, I must say, the CHA didn't do all that bad this past weekend. I hope it continues.
                "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by MICZamboni View Post
                  I just wish there were some better teams coming to the MIC this year however, .
                  March will be here soon enough
                  "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                    March will be here soon enough
                    Unfortunately, I will be in Florida that weekend with my baseball team. My one in a lifetime opportunity to drive for the Frozen Four and I will be out of town. KILLING ME!!!!!
                    "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine Women's College Hockey Poll
                      October 5, 2010
                      Code:
                                  Team                 Points (1st) Last Poll Record 
                      1  University of Minnesota Duluth  188   (17)     1      0-0-0 
                      2  Cornell University              163            2      0-0-0 
                      3  Mercyhurst College              160   (1)      3      2-0-0 
                      4  University of Minnesota         128   (1)      6      2-0-0 
                      5  University of Wisconsin         119            5      2-0-0 
                      6  Boston University                88            4      1-1-0 
                      7  Harvard University               65            9      0-0-0 
                      8  University of North Dakota       40           NR      1-1-0 
                      9  University of New Hampshire      38           NR      1-0-0 
                      10 Boston College                   33            8      0-0-0
                      Read more: http://www.uscho.com/rankings/?data=...#ixzz11W23VDgH
                      Last edited by CrazyDave; 10-05-2010, 02:57 PM.
                      Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                      Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                      Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

So as to not junk up the "Scores..." thread with my musings and offend those who want scores only, I'll continue this discussion here:
                        Originally posted by papulaisle View Post
                        Other than Cornell and Mercyhurst are there any (other) women's teams in the east this year?
                        Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                        BU and Harvard, both Top 10 teams.
                        Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        BC is going to be legit this year. Might be the best team we've ever had.
                        The question with both BU and Harvard would seem to be in net, the position where BC ranks with anyone. I know zilch about the rookie goalies either BU or Harvard might have, but for every heralded frosh who glides into the crease and performs immediately, there is a highly touted kid who takes some time to bring her game to this level. With the scorers that highlight the rinks this year, I think the championship goalie will need to be very steady.

For Harvard, Kessler was a big part of their success up until she was injured last year, so it remains to be seen how the Crimson will perform over a full season w/o her.

In the case of BU, if we assume that their three best players will be a 1st-year senior, a 1st-year junior, and a 1st-year frosh, that is an atypical mix and it could impact the time it takes for the team to gel.

And yes, it is still ridiculously early and we have no idea who will or won't have medical clearance to play come March for any roster.

Comment

So now that UMD has lost, who rises to the top spot in the polls? We're still waiting for the Big Red to make their debut -- is promise alone enough? Mercyhurst has put up impressive goal totals, but they haven't played anyone we'd expect to have a shot at beating them. Wisconsin has also flexed their muscle. BC should continue to rise, and UND seems unfazed by a rugged early schedule. This week's polls should make for some good discussion.

Comment

UMD was 13-7-2 (overall) at the Christmas break last season and then went 18-1-0 the rest of the way. After two games, I think I'll give them a little more time before I start worrying what the polls or the standings say.

Comment

We all look forward to March and Frozen Fours, but on a Monday in October, popularity polls are what we have. There are going to be some very, very good teams this year. Last year was the first time a team won the NCAA championship with more than 6 losses, and I'll be very surprised if this year's champ loses that many.

Comment

Working...
                              X