No announcement yet.

2010-2011 Division I Polls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIRE SHANNON AND MATT DESwhatthehelleverOS.

Originally posted by comefrombehind View Post
    Four of the wins were against then top ten opponents: Mercyhurst #1, Harvard #4, Clarkson #6, Harvard #10.
    Clarkson is not even close to being a top ten team....or ever has been this season. Polls from the first week don't count.
    (where the heart beats)

bleep.

Comment

Re: 2010-2011 Division I Polls

Last season.

Comment

USCHO.com Division I Women's Poll

January 10, 2011
        	Team	(First Place Votes)	Record	Points	Last Poll
        1 Wisconsin (12) 20-2-0 147 1
        2 Cornell ( 3) 15-1-0 138 2
        3 Boston University 16-2-3 111 3
        4 Minnesota-Duluth 12-5-1 106 4
        5 Mercyhurst 16-4-0 94 5
        6 Boston College 13-3-4 68 6
        7 Minnesota 15-6-0 64 7
        8 North Dakota 10-7-3 31 8
        9 Providence 14-7-1 22 9
        10 Northeastern 12-5-4 16 NR
        Others Receiving Votes: Quinnipiac 12, Bemidji State 8, Ohio State 4, Princeton 4
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
          They haven't lost a game in regulation this year after advancing to the championship game last season. While I don't agree with the logic of those who voted them #1 this week over Wisconsin, I have no problem with them being #2. Who should be #2 if not the Big Red? BU's schedule has some question marks as well, having played 3 teams in the top 10 and not sweeping any of them (BC - split, UND - split, PC - win/tie).

Of the ranked teams right now, I'd probably most question Providence, especially in the USA Today poll. There are voters placing the Friars above all of Minnesota, North Dakota, and Ohio St, and all of those teams have better wins than PC does. IMO, some voters look at record and nothing else.

My original ? was where should they be ranked if they lose to Mercyhurst. What are your thoughts? Let's assume that Hurst wins out, do they jump ahead of Cornell and stay there? Let's assume that UMD win's out except for 1-2 losses against the Badgers, do they jump in front of Cornell to the end. My point simply is that Cornel is probably going to win all their games except for Hurst. If that happens they will have lost twice to the only top 10 team they play. Will they once again leap frog Hurst f Hurst suffers a loss?

I agree with you on the pollsters evaluations regarding W/L records. I do think PC with Lacasse in net can justify a top 10 ranking though.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
            USCHO.com Division I Women's Poll
            Others Receiving Votes: Quinnipiac 12, Bemidji State 8, Ohio State 4, Princeton 4
            When Princeton was 3-10-1 I would have never thought this was possible.

Comment

Originally posted by granddaddyscout View Post
              where should they be ranked if they lose to Mercyhurst. What are your thoughts? Let's assume that Hurst wins out, do they jump ahead of Cornell and stay there?
              Lots to consider, but if Cornell loses to Mercyhurst for a second time, they should not be in the top three. Then the fact that there are no other ECAC teams in the top ten is really starting to hurt the ranking for Cornell. On the other side, if the Big Red wins over Mercyhurst they will most likely head into the tournament as the second seed, unless Wisco falters down the stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                Lots to consider, but if Cornell loses to Mercyhurst for a second time, they should not be in the top three. Then the fact that there are no other ECAC teams in the top ten is really starting to hurt the ranking for Cornell. On the other side, if the Big Red wins over Mercyhurst they will most likely head into the tournament as the second seed, unless Wisco falters down the stretch.
                I agree with your assessment, how do you see the top 4 and bottom 4 playing out? Here are my thoughts 1. Wisco, 2. Hurst, 3. UDM, 4. Cornell ( this assumes a Hurst win over Red, 3 and 4 could swap) then I see UND, Minny, somewhere in the bottom 4 with BC, BU, and PC competing for the other remaining spots. I think PC with Lacasse in net will grab a spot. How do you see it?

Comment

My original ? was where should they be ranked if they lose to Mercyhurst. What are your thoughts? Let's assume that Hurst wins out, do they jump ahead of Cornell and stay there? Let's assume that UMD win's out except for 1-2 losses against the Badgers, do they jump in front of Cornell to the end.
                  Lots to consider, but if Cornell loses to Mercyhurst for a second time, they should not be in the top three.
                  I don't agree with that, especially if the game is as competitive as the first meeting. One can question Cornell's record and say they should drop, but some other team has to be deserving of passing them. UMD? First, I don't see them as poised to run any tables. They haven't swept a series since October, and I expect they'll lose again as early as this weekend. BU and BC? Not sure just how strong/weak either of them are. They seem pretty close. Both have disappointing results that fans explain away by missing personnel. The bottom line is that all of the top teams have had to play without key players this season, and when you look at the schedule and results for Wisconsin and Cornell, you can't tell when these absences occurred, suggesting that the best teams just win. Eventually, either BC or BU will get a distinct advantage over the other, one will be positioned in the top 4, and the other will have to fight for an NCAA spot. So that leaves Mercyhurst. Yes, they'd have the two H2H wins, but you can't just write off their four losses. Excuse the one to Wisconsin, but Cornell isn't losing to the Niagara, SLU, and BSU caliber teams. And as mediocre as the ECAC is, the CHA has its own problems. The CHA doesn't have the weak bottom teams that are found in the ECAC, but I'm not sure anyone in the CHA after MC is as good as Princeton or Quinnipiac. So maybe a Laker win moves them past Cornell, but I don't think that's a lock. Cornell is the best defensive team in the country statistically, while MC is middle of the pack. So I'd say Cornell has a better chance against a team like the Badgers.

As for PC, I recognize that they have a great goalie. They are capable of staying close to very good teams. But they have yet to post a huge win. I'd be interested in seeing someone make a case as to why they are better than teams like North Dakota, Bemidji State, or even Ohio State. I'm not saying that they aren't as good. I just don't think that they've proven they are better.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I agree with your assessment, how do you see the top 4 and bottom 4 playing out? Here are my thoughts 1. Wisco, 2. Hurst, 3. UDM, 4. Cornell ( this assumes a Hurst win over Red, 3 and 4 could swap) then I see UND, Minny, somewhere in the bottom 4 with BC, BU, and PC competing for the other remaining spots. I think PC with Lacasse in net will grab a spot. How do you see it?
                    I see Wisco as the clear No 1 right now. At full strength would have the Big Red still second and beating MC next week, but if their top tender cannot go (She was not playing last weekend), the nod would go to MC to win that game, in which case the Big Red will fall out of the top four. I see BU as a top four team. IMHO people are not giving them enough credit. UMD is the other top contender.

So given the injury reports and from what I've seen this is how it will be by the end of this month:

1 - Wisco
                    2 - BU
                    3 - MC
                    4 - UMD
                    5 - Cornell
                    6,7,8 Minny, ND and BC

Comment

• Re: 2010-2011 Division I Polls

BU and BC? Not sure just how strong/weak either of them are. They seem pretty close. Both have disappointing results that fans explain away by missing personnel. The bottom line is that all of the top teams have had to play without key players this season, and when you look at the schedule and results for Wisconsin and Cornell, you can't tell when these absences occurred, suggesting that the best teams just win.

Your dismissal of BC and BU is surprising. Disappointing results? Are you refering to the games played during the 4 Nations tournament? Everybody realizes that some of the teams have had to play without key personell and sometimes the best team wins. To look at Wisconsin and Cornell's records, (you are right) you can't tell when their key personell was missing. THAT'S BEACUSE BOTH SCHOOLS WERE OFF THE WEEK OF THE FOUR NATIONS!
                      Last edited by UCONN FAN; 01-12-2011, 11:10 AM.
                      Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

I see Wisco as the clear No 1 right now. At full strength would have the Big Red still second and beating MC next week, but if their top tender cannot go (She was not playing last weekend), the nod would go to MC to win that game, in which case the Big Red will fall out of the top four. I see BU as a top four team. IMHO people are not giving them enough credit. UMD is the other top contender.

So given the injury reports and from what I've seen this is how it will be by the end of this month:

1 - Wisco
                        2 - BU
                        3 - MC
                        4 - UMD
                        5 - Cornell
                        6,7,8 Minny, ND and BC
                        Question: Is it time for that new "The D1 Forum Poll - 2010 - 2011" thread yet, to answer the "Who will win the 2010 - 2011 NCAA crown" question as per opinions from fans around North America? I am compelled to change my earlier vote based on evidence witnessed since the original poll.
                        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/d-i-womens-poll/
                          Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Date is Jan 10. Is that not last weeks poll ?

P.S....Never mind ..When I clicked a second time it refreshed to Jan 17.
                            (mustabeen that old caching memory disease).

P.S.S....Since IceisNice likes PSes......MC moved up a spot into the top 4, ahead of the pack of wolves from the WHCA
                            Last edited by OnMAA; 01-17-2011, 03:15 PM. Reason: caching memory note.

Comment

Date is Jan 10. Is that not last weeks poll ?
                              Says Jan. 17 when I follow link.
                              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

P.S.S....Since IceisNice likes PSes...
                                Grazie
                                Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Working...
                                X