Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2010-2011 Miami season Thread: 3rd times a charm???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official 2010-2011 Miami season Thread: 3rd times a charm???

Well hockey season is upon us. Exhibition game sunday against Waterloo. High expectations, obviously, but it doesn't seem like it. Not much chatter about this team and for me I love it. This team has a lot of talent both offensively, defensively, and in goal. It is nice to not have the distraction of a heartbreak to deal with all summer. I think this team has a chip on their shoulder and has something to prove after a great season last year that ended in an embarrasment.

On paper things look on the up and up but I think it is best that we all reserve judgement of this team until atleast the end of October. First 4 games of the year against top 10 teams is a tough way to start. Glad hockey is back and should be a fun year, lets get the party started!
    Last edited by redhawkman10; 09-27-2010, 01:39 PM.
    Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Re: Official 2010-2011 Miami season Thread: 3rd times a charm???

(all that needs to be expressed at this time)

Comment

It's about time!
      Let's go RedHawks!!!
      Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

I need to get a season preview written. I'll try to get something together soon.
        http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Miami ranked third in first USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine poll.

http://bit.ly/d8LLwQ
          http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

I'm a BC fan, but I will say this about Miami: They are fully deserving of a Championship. For a relatively small school to build such a lasting and powerful program is so great to see. It bodes well for the sport of college hockey. Aside from BC, there's no other program that I'd like to see win it than Miami. Maybe New Hampshire, but they shoot themselves in the foot all the time once the NCAAs roll around that they've almost turned into a caricature.
            Chris V
            Nexton (Summerville) South Carolina

Comment

Word around campus is that our man VAIVE really packed on the the muscle this off season (confirm/deny?)...hopefully he worked on his aim a little bit as well.

Now that my VAIVE crack is out of the way, can't wait for some hockey. For better or worse I gave up trying to temper my expectations sometime in July so here's to a great season and possibly/maybe/finally making it over the hump!

Love & Honor

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                I'm a BC fan, but I will say this about Miami: They are fully deserving of a Championship. For a relatively small school to build such a lasting and powerful program is so great to see. It bodes well for the sport of college hockey. Aside from BC, there's no other program that I'd like to see win it than Miami. Maybe New Hampshire, but they shoot themselves in the foot all the time once the NCAAs roll around that they've almost turned into a caricature.
                Thanks for the note, much appreciated.
                Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                  Word around campus is that our man VAIVE really packed on the the muscle this off season (confirm/deny?)...hopefully he worked on his aim a little bit as well.

Now that my VAIVE crack is out of the way, can't wait for some hockey. For better or worse I gave up trying to temper my expectations sometime in July so here's to a great season and possibly/maybe/finally making it over the hump!

Love & Honor
                  No need to not have high expectations. Miami has established themselves and that comes with high expectations every year. I have just reserved analysis until after a few games. Let them get their feet wet and we will know more at the end of October.

Comment

Word has it that the hockey band is no longer allowed to play the "Scalp Song" due to it's obvious political incorrectness. How are the students going to know when to heckle a penalized opposing player now??? Not sure where the impetus behind this decision originated - the Tribe or the Administration - but I'm sure that petitions and letter-writing will ultimately have no effect, so... any suggestions for a replacement penalty song?

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
                      Word has it that the hockey band is no longer allowed to play the "Scalp Song" due to it's obvious political incorrectness. How are the students going to know when to heckle a penalized opposing player now??? Not sure where the impetus behind this decision originated - the Tribe or the Administration - but I'm sure that petitions and letter-writing will ultimately have no effect, so... any suggestions for a replacement penalty song?
                      You have to be kidding me.

Comment

Political correctness trumps tradition yet again. That song whips the student section into a frenzy. Killing it for the sake of political correctness seems like a decision only an academic would make.

Comment

Everyone just needs to boo the entire time they try to play whatever song they replace it with

Comment

Just got official word that "the decision is not final and there is a lot of discussion to take place before a permanent change can be made. Another thing, it is not about the band, or the team, or even athletics. Finally, it is not even about any specific complaint lodged by the Miami Tribe."

I think this presents an opportunity for the University to work with the students and fans to find a way to preserve the tune while eliminating the negatives such as the "tomahawk chop," "yelp," and any remnants of the old and mostly forgotten lyrics. The chop has mostly turned into waving goodbye to the penalized player already, and I'm sure that a concerted effort can remove and replace the yelp and lyrics while ultimately strengthening the tradition.

Comment

Originally posted by RicoForPresident View Post
                              Political correctness trumps tradition yet again. That song whips the student section into a frenzy. Killing it for the sake of political correctness seems like a decision only an academic would make.
                              Not all academics.

I say put the BandMan in charge and the rink (and world) would be a better place.

Comment

Working...
                              X