Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2010-2011 Miami season Thread: 3rd times a charm???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2010-2011 Miami season Thread: 3rd times a charm???

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
    my whole point is there is nothing Miami could do. The NCAA mandated it and the tribe threaten to sue.
    Miami made the name change after requests from the Tribe--- the NCAA did not mandate anything... the NCAA waded into the mascot fray in 1998

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
      Thatt rocks! Why don't the students know the words and why wouldn't they want to sing that? Screw the PC police. All the students should sing the song without the music before every game while doing the chop.
      My thoughts exactly...

So, the Scalp Song stays but I doubt this is the last time the issue will come up.

Comment

Miami tabbed first by media, second by coaches in CCHA men's ice hockey pre-season polls. http://bit.ly/ceNisT

We got three first place votes and coaches cannot vote for their team...so Bergeron, Blashill and... ______________
        http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by pinch View Post
          Miami made the name change after requests from the Tribe--- the NCAA did not mandate anything... the NCAA waded into the mascot fray in 1998
          That is correct. It is also correct that there was what some would consider a pc brigade on campus, no surprise there, but there was also those on the other side, even among alums. I am sure Miami lost a few donations because of the change, but Miami values its relationship with the tribe above almost all else and when the Miami nation changed its position, there was only one thing to do, IMO. I had the pleasure of meeting Chief Floyd (RIP) shortly after the change. He, too, faced different positions/pressures from his side of the issue. But he was thrilled at the overall respect from and relationship with Miami.

The university's relationship with the nation is one of the things I love about Miami. It's not in your face all the time around here, but when it comes up, all involved, including students, appreciate and cherish the history. Outsiders who scream about pc really don't know what is going on among the overwhelming majority at Miami. Sure there are some alums who are still disgruntled, but almost all understand the situation and our history with the Miami. I even had one alum who told me he did not donate until the change happened (although not many of those, I am sure). And some very important Redskins (Dick Farmer, John Smale, Mike Armstrong, to name three) seem to have accepted RedHawks and, if anything, have increased their generosity to the university. If they are protesting by donating tens of millions of dollars, we need more protesters. Let's go RedHawks.

Comment

Third vote had to be Red. How could he not put us first after we went 3-1 against them last year.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
              That is correct. It is also correct that there was what some would consider a pc brigade on campus, no surprise there, but there was also those on the other side, even among alums. I am sure Miami lost a few donations because of the change, but Miami values its relationship with the tribe above almost all else and when the Miami nation changed its position, there was only one thing to do, IMO. I had the pleasure of meeting Chief Floyd (RIP) shortly after the change. He, too, faced different positions/pressures from his side of the issue. But he was thrilled at the overall respect from and relationship with Miami.

The university's relationship with the nation is one of the things I love about Miami. It's not in your face all the time around here, but when it comes up, all involved, including students, appreciate and cherish the history. Outsiders who scream about pc really don't know what is going on among the overwhelming majority at Miami. Sure there are some alums who are still disgruntled, but almost all understand the situation and our history with the Miami. I even had one alum who told me he did not donate until the change happened (although not many of those, I am sure). And some very important Redskins (Dick Farmer, John Smale, Mike Armstrong, to name three) seem to have accepted RedHawks and, if anything, have increased their generosity to the university. If they are protesting by donating tens of millions of dollars, we need more protesters. Let's go RedHawks.
              Yes! And, here's a classic example.

http://www.miamination.com/partners.html
              http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post

"The tribes go forth to war/their scalp-songs ring afar/bright the blood-red camp-fires gleaming/ mad with thirst the war-hawks screaming..."
                That song is definitely awesome, hell, to justify the students even singing it just change war hawks to redhawks and boom, cross generational Miami mascot support.

Comment

Originally posted by pinch View Post
                  Your correct, but my point was if they wanted to go back they couldn't because of the mandate. He wants everyone to fight back and put their "so called foot down" but because of what the NCAA has done in 1998 they can't do anything moving forward.

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                  Miami tabbed first by media, second by coaches in CCHA men's ice hockey pre-season polls. http://bit.ly/ceNisT

We got three first place votes and coaches cannot vote for their team...so Bergeron, Blashill and... ______________
                  Its Red, Miami got the only other first place votes and if you can't vote for your own team its process of elimination lol. Thats my public school education at work...
                  Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Just dropping by to wish you guys good luck this year. It was fun cheering with your fans at the Frozen Four. Let's do it again this year.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                      Just dropping by to wish you guys good luck this year. It was fun cheering with your fans at the Frozen Four. Let's do it again this year.
                      Thanks, good luck to your boys as well!
                      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

As already mentioned, the Scalp Song will survive for now. Regardless of the reason for the backpedal, we need to make sure that we can preserve the tune for the long-term by changing the negative aspects. So I was thinking: what can replace the "yelp" in the song? Anyone at the Regional two years ago in Minneapolis remember the Duluth kids high-pitch screaming "KAW!" at us? Imagine a student section full of students screeching in unison. It would be dreadful and not nearly as cool as the yelp, but hey...it's an idea.

Moving on... I am very ready for some hockey. Won't be able to make it down to a game until Homecoming, so I'm very thankful for ONN.
                        Last edited by RedhawkBandMan; 09-29-2010, 08:56 PM.
                        Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

That annoying Michigan Wooopp seemed to catch on pretty well in fort Wayne and Detroit thanks to a couple drunk guys

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                            That annoying Michigan Wooopp seemed to catch on pretty well in fort Wayne and Detroit thanks to a couple drunk guys
                            I was all for adopting the whoop concept on penalty kills using the "yelp"...guess that would be counterproductive at this point

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                              I was all for adopting the whoop concept on penalty kills using the "yelp"...guess that would be counterproductive at this point
                              Haha if that stupid whooping can catch on, the KAW! can definitely catch on. Just imagine angry hawks dive-bombing the opposing players to peck their eyes outs. KAW!!!
                              Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                                That song is definitely awesome, hell, to justify the students even singing it just change war hawks to redhawks and boom, cross generational Miami mascot support.
                                My new favorite post

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
                                Haha if that stupid whooping can catch on, the KAW! can definitely catch on. Just imagine angry hawks dive-bombing the opposing players to peck their eyes outs. KAW!!!
                                God I can feel my ears bleeding already. It will be interesting to see if they flat out make an announcement asking students to no longer do the yelp or how they go about this. I just don't see students self-policing based on rumors flying around facebook that the song was almost banned. I'm sure 3/4 of the students at the Goggin on Sunday will not have the slightest clue about any of this.

Comment

Working...
                                X