Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2010-2011 Miami season Thread: 3rd times a charm???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2010-2011 Miami season Thread: 3rd times a charm???

Originally posted by fangers View Post
    I know this isn't directly related to the hockey program, but the Miami athletic department is taking a bit of beating in the Cincy papers/news/sports talk today due to their ticket policy for the Miami/UC basketball game.

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

I'd be more likely to write it off as UC fans whining, but seems there are upset Miami Alums as well:

Hope this deosn't carry over and impact hockey attendence.

FWIW, Lance is a big supporter of Coach and the hockey program, ofetn having him or team members on live.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years!
    I saw that about a month ago that they were doing the mandatory combo game package, and had certainly hoped that walk ups wouldn't be forced into that also. I'm curious how many fans Miami just lost that will never go back to a basketball game there now. My guess is, quite a few, and that's pretty bad when they only average about 2000 a game anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by MichPieGuy View Post
      Union was exposed as a charade by their weekend's results in Kalamazoo. I saw the Friday night game, WMU way below their best efforts but still enough to put away the not-so-flying Dutchmen. Saturday was a more clear-cut WMU win. CCHA probably is as strong top-to-bottom this year as it's been in many years. That bodes for a most interesting league tourney, and one would think at least 3 teams in the ice dance.
      Boy the CCHA should be embarrased if they only get 3 teams in....They have gotten atleast 4 in for the past 5 years atleast I believe. With Miami, Notre Dame, Michigan, Alaska, NMU, and now Western getting into the mix there is a good chance 5 could get in. Ferris has an outside shot solely based on their win and tie against Miami.
      Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

About the UC ticket situation: I know it is about revenue maximizing, but I think the mistake the athletic department makes is confusing long and short term revenue. There is an axiom that it is a lot easier to keep a customer than get a new customer (or get one back). IA seems to miss that point. I've heard from four people who were either mad or outraged by the walk-up situation for the way less than sold out UC game (3,300 attendance!). Three of them did not go to the game because of the policy. And, I am not convinced IA got more revenue from that policy. Yea they gouged a few UC fans (which is, of course, ok in my opinion ), but they created a lot of bad will with both fan sets. And then they will whine that UC won't play in Oxford. I don't get it. Also, given the basketball and football attendance situations, I have never understood why Miami even charges kids at all (say under 12 or whatever) for those sports. If a kid is accompanied by a ticket buying adult, let them in free to WBB, FB, VB, and even MB. Then the parents will come and they and the kids will become fans. And here's a news flash, kids get older and then may buy a ticket in the future. If you reach the point where demand exceeds supply (like hockey) you can change the policy. Also, long-term, atmosphere at games matters to help create winning and attract recruits. Seems like they shot themselves in the foot on this one. And, by the way, don't get me going about the prices they charge kids for a less than full arena for hockey playoffs over spring break. Another shortsighted and less than revenue maximizing policy, IMO. Maybe they know something we don't know, but I'm beginning to wonder.

Comment

Well at least we don't have fans throwing waffles on the ice.

Or football players selling autographs for tattoos.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
            Well at least we don't have fans throwing waffles on the ice.

Or football players selling autographs for tattoos.
            they should throw them on the hardcourt

Comment

YES! a redeagle rant! love it.

only thing though, for the hockey playoffs...to my knowledge the CCHA dictates the ticket prices and the school has no say. I think the students even have to pay, could be wrong but thats what I thought atleast or atleast was told at one point.
              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post

only thing though, for the hockey playoffs...to my knowledge the CCHA dictates the ticket prices and the school has no say. I think the students even have to pay, could be wrong but thats what I thought atleast or atleast was told at one point.
                We have to pay $3 I believe. They just tell us that the CCHA requires there be a ticket "sold" for playoff games, so if they are setting the prices the school subsides some of the price for the students.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post

As 628 said, students pay $3, kids pay full price ($21) or group rate ($11-$12). I have gotten the CCHA-makes-us-do-it excuse, so two or three years ago I checked other CCHA schools. OSU was charging $5 for kids when they only had 1,100 seats! Others had kids' rates, some as low as $3. If the CCHA makes them do it, other programs are ignoring that. My guess is that they are trying to maximize revenue, with the possible of exception of OSU. I'm not sure why they had a $5 rate. I'm all for revenue maximizing, but sometimes a long-term perspective is needed, and sometimes I disagree that we are revenue maximizing and atmosphere maximizing. OK, no more rants from me, I've used up my yearly quota. Of course, next week is a new year.

Comment

Gotcha, I was mistaken. I Knew that the CCHA made them have tickets sold, but I wasn't sure if they set the price. Looks like the schools set the price. Really amazing that they are having kids tickets at $21. Pretty much everwhere, except the NFL I believe, has some sort of kids pricing. You would think colleges atleast would have those ticket prices to attract those kids to want to attend their school. If the kids dont become fans or attend sporting events they don't go and out of sight out of mind. I could see them having students pay full price over a kid, that is really puzzling. But then again I didn't know ticket prices were even that high! It's nice to have a relevant program.

Comment

Nice article about Reilly Smith in the current Hockey News. There is also a box insert in the article about Camper and Miele. One theme touched on is players like Camper and Miele who stay for four years and develop vs. the one and done drafted types. The article brought me back to the unbelievable success Miami has had with undrafted players, and the subsequent success the players have had. Start with Dan Boyle who becomes an NHL All Star, Cup winner and gold medal Olympian. Then go to Andy Greene and the current group of Miele and Camper, and I don't think Cannone was drafted, was he? The program and the players themselves have done a great job developing.

Comment

Well that was refreshing.

Comment

• Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                          Well that was refreshing.
                          Didn't get to listen but looks like we put together one of our best games after having nearly a month off. No more swoon! Ha. Nice to see the Maine announcer mention they haven't been handled like that in years. Considering hockey East keeps winning in April.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                            Didn't get to listen but looks like we put together one of our best games after having nearly a month off. No more swoon! Ha. Nice to see the Maine announcer mention they haven't been handled like that in years. Considering hockey East keeps winning in April.
                            The video feed was pretty bad quality (worse then B2 usually is) so it was hard to follow the game, but there were some connection issues in the 1st period so we got refunded which was sweet. Seemed like they were really on tonight, but hell with our post-Christmas track record the last few years I would have taken a 1-0 win on an own goal by Maine. Peace out Rico Swoon.

Comment

Y'all have probably already discussed this, but just in case - Cody Reichard and the team have a great program called Swoop's Stoop visiting sick kids and taking them to games. They are asking that people "Like" their facebook page - http://on.fb.me/SwoopsStoop Hope everyone will take a minute (assuming they have a facebook account - and if you don't, pass the info on to friends that do) to click the link and then click Like.

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                              HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                              HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

What a great start to the 2nd half of the season. I wish I could have watched, but couldn't make that happen. Maybe we can get it done tonight...anyone know where there's a feed?
                                Long live the "Brotherhood"!!!!!

Giving up a home run in Great American Ballpark is kind of like walking into a chocolate factory and yelling "I WANNA BE FAT!!!"

It's going to happen. Just give it time.....and a little effort.

Comment

Working...
                                X