Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2010-2011 Miami season Thread: 3rd times a charm???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Official 2010-2011 Miami season Thread: 3rd times a charm???

http://www.miamistudent.net/news/mu-...logo-1.1828253

In terms of the "Scalp Song," Tron said the Miami Tribe was not the original source of contention.
    "The tribe didn't complain," Tron said. "I think it started as we began looking to see how we could really build traditions for the RedHawks name and gain a lot of student support for our athletic events."
    Student support for hockey is just fine, thanks for the concern though. I'm sure snazzy new "RedHawk" based cheers will really get the students riled up to go sit in Millet to watch Miami play a 45-42 game against Western...right.

"Let's Go RedHawks Let's Go KAW! KAW! Let's Go RedHawks Let's Go KAW! KAW!"

"Of course, you know, whenever you make a change like this there will be a period of time where people are going to show their opposition to it," Hodge said. "That's fine. It happens. It seems kind of silly to me, but it will pass."
    Glad our attachment to a Miami hockey tradition seems silly to you David. I think your management of this university is pretty laughable as well, we can find a common ground after all!

Comment

Originally posted by SweeneyHawksHockey View Post
      Haha maybe...this whole situation just baffles me. Was Mason's hit really that bad? Like I said, I didn't think it was any worse than Weber's or the one earlier in the game that didn't even get a major.

People on ND's thread talking about vindication lol. Mason is such a thug he deserves this...
      I had a pretty good look at the hit and I thought it deserved a major, just my vantage though. Love the vindication talk, this whole thing has just been so cute.

Comment

All I know is Reilly better make the WJC team. Between Notre Dame's coach crying and some PC nut at Miami going overboard with the Scalp Song with absolutely nothing from the actual Tribe about being upset, this may be a long 3 weeks with only those things to talk about ha.

Comment

Originally posted by redeagle View Post
          All good points IHF. And, in my opinion, Miami has done less than ND over the recent past. I would like a CCHA playoff championship (or two) and Miami does not have one. Also I do think some of the attitudes on here are condescending (there are here, as everywhere on this board, varying degress of exposure to the game and varying levels of objectivity and maturity). I hope the rivalry continues strong in the future. I think that is good for both programs. But I do think there is a reason that some of the seminal perceptual distortion studies are done using sporting events. Fans have a tough time being objective. Some of the Miami parents were around me and they were upset by what they considered cheap stuff by ND. I did not completely agree, but that was their perception of things.

I believe the thing that started everything was Reichard getting run on Friday in the second period. That was not something Miami did. Miami went nuts at that run and it was chippy thereafter. There was a head shot there and, I am not saying this is objective, but some attributed Reichard's play (not very good) the rest of the game to that shot. The guy who sits next to me used to evaluate refs for the CCHA and he could not believe the new contact to the head rule was not invoked there (I really have no idea if it should have been). Coach Jackson reportedly apologized to Coach Blasi last year for Palmeiri's runs at Reichard (I believe Palmeiri sat on Saturday), so there is also a history here. Again IHF, that is not to justify stuff Miami did, but to say this is one-sided, especially when last year is thrown in, is not objective either.

I do believe Miami is a more physical team than ND and generally more aggressive, at least from what I have seen of ND. Miami is not Notre Dame, so MU does play with a little chip on their shoulder, which I like as long as it does not go over the line. That is the style they believe gives them the best chance to win but I, for one, do not want to see them ever go to far.

IHF, we have stood up for one another (remember that dope that went after ND right after Jackson was hired? I really enjoyed watcing ND do well just because of him). I'd like to think of this as a stage that rivalries go through. We have two good coaches for our programs who, in my opnion, play the game the right way. I think in the long run that will prevail so I hope last weekend does not linger on either side too long.
          Very well said. You said it better than me lol. That was my whole point, I am in no way defending either hit on the weekend. I think they deserved major penalties, my issue is all of the complaining going on. Just like you said it, not one thing was mentioned on here after friday when Reichard got ran into the goal post. No one went screaming that ND is a dirty team, although they did the same thing last year so their is a pattern, but chalked it up to two rival teams playing hard fought games.

I do not apologize for the "big boy hockey" comments because it is true. Miami has played a lot of pyhsical games over the last 5 years when the competition level went up. I am just embarrassed for the ND hockey community over this plain and simple. I too heard from multiple people that Coach Jackson personally apologized to Coach Blasi over the actions that took place last year. Whats worse is if/when something happens to a Miami player in South Bend your program will look 10 times worse for it because of the comments coming from their posters about wanting to hurt one of Miami's players, that is an embarrasement and too keep going at this is frankly pathetic.

Originally posted by SweeneyHawksHockey View Post
          I see that Mason got suspended for the first game in the Florida Classic. This confuses me a little bit. Why does this checking from behind call warrant a suspension while Weber's doesn't, and to add more what about Tomassoni's multiple major penalties, and Kennedy's earlier in the season? When I saw the hit live I didn't even think it deserved a major penalty. There was a hit earlier in the game by one of our guys that I though was a lot worse that only garnered a 2 minute minor for boarding if I remember correctly. I just don't know why this hit in particular led to a suspension while there are so many others that I thought were worse. Maybe the CCHA is just trying to make a statement. If anyone could shed some light on the issue I would be willing to listen.

Also, I wish someone had video of the hit. I would like to see it again.
          I wasn't at the game, but from what I heard from more than 1 person it was a nasty hit and warranted a major penalty. I would urge you to read the definition in the NCAA rule book on the distinction between a game misconduct and a game disqualification. Anything head first into the boards or a goal post is automatic. It also depends on distance traveled and how long a player has to pull up as well as the angel the hit is made. All things taught during camps and takes a while to understand, but the book clearly outlines it as best it can.
          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
            All I know is Reilly better make the WJC team. Between Notre Dame's coach crying and some PC nut at Miami going overboard with the Scalp Song with absolutely nothing from the actual Tribe about being upset, this may be a long 3 weeks with only those things to talk about ha.

His team won yesterday...I think.

Yeah, we really do have nothing to talk about. Guess I'll actually have to do some studying this week instead of sitting on USCHO all day.

Comment

Yeah Reilly is on the red team along with Shehan (ND), Olsen (UMD), and Schwartz (CC), as the only collegians in camp.

Comment

Reilly with a goal in yesterday's game, first cuts to be announced this morning. Best of luck!

Edit: Nevermind http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=345454

Back to having nothing to talk about.
                Last edited by MUhawks628; 12-14-2010, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                  Reilly with a goal in yesterday's game, first cuts to be announced this morning. Best of luck!

Edit: Nevermind http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=345454

Back to having nothing to talk about.
                  Eh, well once Hodge makes us become Oxford University, we can naturally take the Redskin moniker back right? How about this as a replacement scalp song? I hear Chief Illiniwek is available right now, he can do the dance.

Comment

Eh, well once Hodge makes us become Oxford University, we can naturally take the Redskin moniker back right? How about this as a replacement scalp song? I hear Chief Illiniwek is available right now, he can do the dance.
                    Hey I was at circle tonight and Daryl said he couldn't understand what all the administration's fus was about, all the proof I need that the PC police are wrong.

As any circle bar regulars know - Daryl's word is basically law

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                      Hey I was at circle tonight and Daryl said he couldn't understand what all the administration's fus was about, all the proof I need that the PC police are wrong.

As any circle bar regulars know - Daryl's word is basically law
                      Did you play that weird dice game?

Never understood that game when i saw it there.

Comment

• Well I guess we can tack on another sore subject to the scalp song/abolition of all things miami related bad subjects.

The football coach is a quitter.

Comment

Well I guess we can tack on another sore subject to the scalp song/abolition of all things miami related bad subjects.

The football coach is a quitter.
                          When you're coaching football at Miami and a BCS school offers you a $1mil+ contract, you take it. If not now, he would get snapped up by someone bigger in the next year or two, anyway.

I want some TV for this Florida Classic shindig. Can't they at least throw together an internet video feed?? Jeesh.
                          Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
                            When you're coaching football at Miami and a BCS school offers you a $1mil+ contract, you take it. If not now, he would get snapped up by someone bigger in the next year or two, anyway.

I want some TV for this Florida Classic shindig. Can't they at least throw together an internet video feed?? Jeesh.
                            Obviously had to take the money and BCS gig, just don't think anyone expected it would be after he had a 9-15 record and only 2 seasons.

Comment

But hey! Hockey is only now........ 13 days away!

Comment

Oh... And in CCHA blog's latest entry, they noticed the little things in hockey this past weekend.

Two Miami players have more points than anyone else in the nation, seniors Carter Camper (13–22–25) and Andy Miele (8–23–31).

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/ccha-blog/#ixzz18IjXi2OL
                                Umm... haven't they led the nation in points since say, week 2?

Comment

Working...
                                X