Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official 2010-2011 Miami season Thread: 3rd times a charm???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Official 2010-2011 Miami season Thread: 3rd times a charm???

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
    I think this presents an opportunity for the University to work with the students and fans to find a way to preserve the tune while eliminating the negatives such as the "tomahawk chop," "yelp," and any remnants of the old and mostly forgotten lyrics. The chop has mostly turned into waving goodbye to the penalized player already, and I'm sure that a concerted effort can remove and replace the yelp and lyrics while ultimately strengthening the tradition.
    I feel like I am as knowledge as most current students when it comes to Miami hockey...there are lyrics??? The only thing I've ever heard in the student section is "God I need a what, God I need a beer" before the "yelp". Needless to say I think mostly forgotten can changed to completely. The chop is only used when the band does its pre-game songs, I think most students would be willing to compromise on eliminating that for the sake of keeping the song around.

Doesn't the Michigan band play over the student section during the C-Ya chant when they are on TV? Don't know what the root motivation here is, but if it has anything to do with TV, that could be a viable option, let the students have their fun, not worry about it showing up in the broadcast.

If all else fails, like mcfarljd said, we BOO!

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
      I feel like I am as knowledge as most current students when it comes to Miami hockey...there are lyrics??? The only thing I've ever heard in the student section is "God I need a what, God I need a beer" before the "yelp". Needless to say I think mostly forgotten can changed to completely. The chop is only used when the band does its pre-game songs, I think most students would be willing to compromise on eliminating that for the sake of keeping the song around.
      The "God I need a beer!" chant is not at issue (and I'm glad it has begun to catch on beyond just the band). The music was composed by the same man who wrote the Miami March Song (now known as the Fight Song) and the Alma Mater. The lyrics were written in the early 1900's and, according to the 1932 "M Book," started with...

"The tribes go forth to war/their scalp-songs ring afar/bright the blood-red camp-fires gleaming/ mad with thirst the war-hawks screaming..."

You can see why it's would no longer be considered appropriate. As you affirmed, however, most don't even know the lyrics exist, much less what they are. And I agree that if the students are brought into the discussion, they would be willing to sacrifice the "yelp" to keep the song.
      Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

"The tribes go forth to war/their scalp-songs ring afar/bright the blood-red camp-fires gleaming/ mad with thirst the war-hawks screaming..."
        That is amazing.

Comment

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-t...8319407?v=wall

That didn't take long.

Comment

Seventh Annual CCHA Preseason All-Conference Team Announced

Preseason First Team Position Name, Year, School First Totals
            Forward Carl Hagelin, SR, Michigan 10 50
            Forward Andy Miele, SR, Miami 7 44
            Forward Louie Caporusso, SR, Michigan 6 39
            Defense Zach Redmond, SR, Ferris State 8 46
            Defense Chris Wideman, JR, Miami 5 38
            Goaltender Cody Reichard, JR, Miami 8 46

Preseason Second Team Position Name, Year, School First Totals
            Forward Carter Camper, SR, Miami 3 34
            Forward Andy Taranto, SO, Alaska 3 31
            Forward Matt Rust, SR, Michigan 0 21
            Defense Torey Krug, SO, Michigan State 3 30
            Defense Chad Langlais. SO. Michigan 1 20
            Goaltender Pat Nagle, SR, Ferris State 1 20
            Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Comment

Word has it that the hockey band is no longer allowed to play the "Scalp Song" due to it's obvious political incorrectness. How are the students going to know when to heckle a penalized opposing player now??? Not sure where the impetus behind this decision originated - the Tribe or the Administration - but I'm sure that petitions and letter-writing will ultimately have no effect, so... any suggestions for a replacement penalty song?
              Well that's Miami's administration knuckling under once again to probably one person's complaint. After all, you guys are supposed to be Redskins, not Redhawks. You need to get an alumnus as university president who is proud of your traditions and will stand by them and not hide under their desk when "political correctness" is mentioned. I think Florida State would tell someone where they can go if they got complaints about their "tomahawk chop".
              Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 09-28-2010, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
                I'm a BC fan, but I will say this about Miami: They are fully deserving of a Championship. For a relatively small school to build such a lasting and powerful program is so great to see. It bodes well for the sport of college hockey. Aside from BC, there's no other program that I'd like to see win it than Miami. Maybe New Hampshire, but they shoot themselves in the foot all the time once the NCAAs roll around that they've almost turned into a caricature.
                Thanks for the kind words. I remember watching us in the late 80s and early 90s, even the first couple Gwozdecky years. This truly has been building for 20 years and hopefully we can sustain it for as long as schools like BC. Your squad is going to be difficult to knock off. If they stay healthy maybe only North Dakota will be able beat them come tournament time.
                http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Just got official word that "the decision is not final and there is a lot of discussion to take place before a permanent change can be made. Another thing, it is not about the band, or the team, or even athletics. Finally, it is not even about any specific complaint lodged by the Miami Tribe."

I think this presents an opportunity for the University to work with the students and fans to find a way to preserve the tune while eliminating the negatives such as the "tomahawk chop," "yelp," and any remnants of the old and mostly forgotten lyrics. The chop has mostly turned into waving goodbye to the penalized player already, and I'm sure that a concerted effort can remove and replace the yelp and lyrics while ultimately strengthening the tradition.
                  What you said. While I hate to see the tradition go, the lyrics and the obvious Indian connotations need to be removed. Especially with our track record of benevolence toward Native American cultures.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    Well that's Miami's administration knuckling under once again to probably one person's complaint. After all, you guys are supposed to be Redskins, not Redhawks. You need to get an alumnus as university president who is proud of your traditions and will stand by them and not hide under their desk when "political correctness" is mentioned. I think Florida State would tell someone where they can go if they got complaints about their "tomahawk chop".
                    You sound quite uninformed which is, of course, par for the course for Ohio A&M fans. This subject has been hashed and re-hashed here, on campus, on other fan sites ad nauseum. The Miami tribe (for whom the University is named) asked Miami to change the name of the mascot. The University complied; I don't see what the problem is. If the use of the song in its current form is an issue, let's see what we can do to change it. That seems quite in line with the University's position on such things.

And, Florida State, like Utah and North Dakota for instance, received plenty of complaints about the use of the Seminole mascot including the flaming spear tradition and the tomahawk chop. The difference in the case of FSU and Utah is that the Seminole and Ute tribes ok'd the continued use of the mascot and by default, the traditions. The Miami and Sioux tribes have not.

Etc., etc., etc.

Comment

Seventh Annual CCHA Preseason All-Conference Team Announced

Preseason First Team Position Name, Year, School First Totals
                      Forward Carl Hagelin, SR, Michigan 10 50
                      Forward Andy Miele, SR, Miami 7 44
                      Forward Louie Caporusso, SR, Michigan 6 39
                      Defense Zach Redmond, SR, Ferris State 8 46
                      Defense Chris Wideman, JR, Miami 5 38
                      Goaltender Cody Reichard, JR, Miami 8 46

Preseason Second Team Position Name, Year, School First Totals
                      Forward Carter Camper, SR, Miami 3 34
                      Forward Andy Taranto, SO, Alaska 3 31
                      Forward Matt Rust, SR, Michigan 0 21
                      Defense Torey Krug, SO, Michigan State 3 30
                      Defense Chad Langlais. SO. Michigan 1 20
                      Goaltender Pat Nagle, SR, Ferris State 1 20
                      Big omission of Will Weber, the CCHA's Defensive Defenseman of the Year.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                        You sound quite uninformed which is, of course, par for the course for Ohio A&M fans. This subject has been hashed and re-hashed here, on campus, on other fan sites ad nauseum. The Miami tribe (for whom the University is named) asked Miami to change the name of the mascot. The University complied; I don't see what the problem is. If the use of the song in its current form is an issue, let's see what we can do to change it. That seems quite in line with the University's position on such things.

And, Florida State, like Utah and North Dakota for instance, received plenty of complaints about the use of the Seminole mascot including the flaming spear tradition and the tomahawk chop. The difference in the case of FSU and Utah is that the Seminole and Ute tribes ok'd the continued use of the mascot and by default, the traditions. The Miami and Sioux tribes have not.

Etc., etc., etc.
                        Actually I'm quite informed having a number of relatives who are Miami alums but my point is the university is not mandated to capitulate to the Miami tribe or any non-government group on how they set their policies.
                        I also know that if you talk with the department that solicits donations for the university they encounter a very large number of alumni who refuse to donate as long as the school remains the Redhawks. This I have been told firsthand by the administration at Miami.

Comment

Actually I'm quite informed having a number of relatives who are Miami alums but my point is the university is not mandated to capitulate to the Miami tribe or any non-government group on how they set their policies.
                          I also know that if you talk with the department that solicits donations for the university they encounter a very large number of alumni who refuse to donate as long as the school remains the Redhawks. This I have been told firsthand by the administration at Miami.
                          If you were so informed then you wouldn't feel the need to make those fabricated comments.

For one it is an NCAA mandate if the Indian tribes don't want it the university can't have it, hence why North Dakota must change their name. Not to mention the law suites that would of came about from the Miami tribe had the university kept redskins. If you would like to donate millions for the universities defense in such law suit or to cover the loss of revenue from the bad publicity they would receive.

Its called common sense and respect to the natives.
                          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                            If you were so informed then you wouldn't feel the need to make those fabricated comments.

For one it is an NCAA mandate if the Indian tribes don't want it the university can't have it, hence why North Dakota must change their name. Not to mention the law suites that would of came about from the Miami tribe had the university kept redskins. If you would like to donate millions for the universities defense in such law suit or to cover the loss of revenue from the bad publicity they would receive.

Its called common sense and respect to the natives.
                            I can see you are indeed one of the politically correct people. We owe nothing to amend and apologize for wrongs committed a hundred plus years before we were born. I suppose you feel reparations are in order as well? As far as the NCAA they have my contempt also. They have clearly acted outside the scope of their authority in dictating to a school about their mascots. People like you are in the minority in this country but you cry the loudest. It's pathetic you can't defend your school's traditions for the sake of your worthless correctness. If your lyrics are so offensive then why have they been there all these years? By the way, I have native american ancestors but I choose to live in the present and my dignity is just fine with indian mascots and chants. For those that aren't, too bad for them.
                            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 09-29-2010, 10:18 AM.

Comment

I can see you are indeed one of the politically correct people. We owe nothing to "amend' and apologize for wrongs committed a hundred plus years before we were born. I suppose you feel reparations are in order as well? As far as the NCAA they have my contempt also. They have clearly acted outside the scope of their authority in dictating to a school about their mascots. People like you are in the minority in this country but you cry the loudest. It's pathetic you can't defend your school's traditions for the sake of your worthless correctness. If your lyrics are so offensive then why have they been there all these years?

I never have nor never will cry about anything. If you read thoroughly, or properly for that matter, my whole point is there is nothing Miami could do. The NCAA mandated it and the tribe threaten to sue. Unless you want to come up with the money to help pay for the schools defense in a lawsuit and the negative publicity it would cause by all means put your money where your mouth is. I have no qualms about the song whatsoever, I just understand the position the school is in. Right or wrong it is what it is and there really isn't anything anyone can do about it.

It hilarious how someone who is out of touch with the school and program tells us what to do just because they know people who went there.

You going off on North Dakota fans and university for them changing their name as well?
                              Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Thatt rocks! Why don't the students know the words and why wouldn't they want to sing that? Screw the PC police. All the students should sing the song without the music before every game while doing the chop.
                                I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X