UNH Recruits: 2012-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2014

Oh man - I hope the Vecchione rumors aren't true.

Comment

Is Vecchione drafted? I'd hate to see an NHL GM negotiate a scholarship for him and an unfair advantage for the kid through one of his college coach buddies! Conflict of interest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

What is going to stop NCAA teams from becoming de facto farm teams for an NHL organization. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
      Originally posted by reBlur
      the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

nothing to do with nhl....

cant speak for anyone. big loss for unh

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
          nothing to do with nhl....

cant speak for anyone. big loss for unh
          ..... If its true

Comment

Since Umile stock-piled on 6 forwards for next year, and there are only 3 leaving, perhaps they asked Vecchione to stay back a year and maybe he isn't willing to wait around. This is a real shame no matter what the reason is.

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
              ..... If its true
              wouldnt post it if it wasnt

Comment

Article on Vecchione on USHR.

Anyone with details?

Ugh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  wouldnt post it if it wasnt
                  Most schools tend to lose players after they've played a few years. UNH,recently, has seemed to lose players before they even show up on campus. Not a good trend.

Comment

**** another top recruit gone...that makes what 4-5?? in the last 4 years..what a shame Vecchione was a charactor kid. My thoughts, losing all these top recruits has finally caught up with UNH.A 6-9-2 record proves it.It could be a few years of mediocrity.

Comment

Originally posted by hockey east fan View Post
                      **** another top recruit gone...that makes what 4-5?? in the last 4 years..what a shame Vecchione was a charactor kid. My thoughts, losing all these top recruits has finally caught up with UNH.A 6-9-2 record proves it.It could be a few years of mediocrity.
                      Do you mean a few years of mediocrity to come or in the past few years? I am assuming its the former, not the latter, considering they have been in the final 8 the last three years.

Anyway, I think there are a couple of things that could be in play here. First, admissions. It is pretty evident by now that the admissions office is no friend of the hockey team. First it was White, then Reid, and this past summer Gaudreau, whose transcript admissions didn't have time to even look at. I'm not sure what exactly is going on here, but whatever clout Umile and the coaching staff had with admissions has gone by the boards. As far as I can tell, there has been no massive drop off on the success of the hockey players graduating, and several of them have truly excelled in the classroom. If Vecchione has completely fallen through the floor academically with the few classes he is taking out in the USHL, I can see why his acceptance at UNH would be in jeopardy.

Second thought is the reference to Denver. Lassonde is at Denver. Was he the lead recruiter for Vecchione? Even if he wasn't, it doesn't take much to get in a kids ear, talk about opportunity, competitiveness and what school is a better fit. It could happen. Although I will say that coaches by and largely adhere to a code that once a player has committed, they don't go after him. Doesn't mean that someone couldn't put a big in a kid's or, more likely, the parent's or family advisor's ear. Maybe suggesting that UNH might not be the best fit.

Whatever the reason, this is another blow to UNH recruiting. As mentioned this is the 4th or 5th kid who has opted out in the last few years. Doesn't bode well for the future me thinks. Anybody got some answers here?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        Whatever the reason, this is another blow to UNH recruiting. As mentioned this is the 4th or 5th kid who has opted out in the last few years. Doesn't bode well for the future me thinks. Anybody got some answers here?
                        According to USHR - UNH wanted Vecchione to play 1 more yr of jr- Not a great reason to lose a solid recruit.
                        You have to think all the losses and all the shuffling needed has caught up to them - Who were the priorities?

Correale - LW
                        Smith - RC
                        McDonald -LW
                        Vecchione - RW
                        Where do Hill and Gaudreault come in to the picture?
                        GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Personally I would put Vecchione at the top of this class. Terrible loss. Not sure what Umile was doing recruiting all these kids for one class.

In my opinion
                          Correale - Toss up. Hardowa put up big numbers in the AJHL, not so much at UNH.
                          MacDonald - Toss up. Willows might be a comparable (both are high scorers in same league). Perhaps he can adjust to D1 quicker.
                          Hill - could be decent. I like the fact he's got USHL experience under his belt
                          Gaudreault - same as above. Seems to be more of a two way player rather than goal scorer.
                          Smith - Not sure. Obviously can put up numbers in the EJHL, but UNH has hit and miss in the EJHL. Do we have a Dan Rossman or Bobby Butler?

Comment

nothing at all to do with academics. Union and Holy Cross are all over, enough said

Everyone assumes Lasonde was involved, not true

Will land on feet and will be fine+

Comment

First it was White, then Reid, and this past summer Gaudreau...
                              Lest we forget, Will O'Neill belongs on this list.
                              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Do you mean a few years of mediocrity to come or in the past few years? I am assuming its the former, not the latter, considering they have been in the final 8 the last three years.

Anyway, I think there are a couple of things that could be in play here. First, admissions. It is pretty evident by now that the admissions office is no friend of the hockey team. First it was White, then Reid, and this past summer Gaudreau, whose transcript admissions didn't have time to even look at. I'm not sure what exactly is going on here, but whatever clout Umile and the coaching staff had with admissions has gone by the boards. As far as I can tell, there has been no massive drop off on the success of the hockey players graduating, and several of them have truly excelled in the classroom. If Vecchione has completely fallen through the floor academically with the few classes he is taking out in the USHL, I can see why his acceptance at UNH would be in jeopardy.

Second thought is the reference to Denver. Lassonde is at Denver. Was he the lead recruiter for Vecchione? Even if he wasn't, it doesn't take much to get in a kids ear, talk about opportunity, competitiveness and what school is a better fit. It could happen. Although I will say that coaches by and largely adhere to a code that once a player has committed, they don't go after him. Doesn't mean that someone couldn't put a big in a kid's or, more likely, the parent's or family advisor's ear. Maybe suggesting that UNH might not be the best fit.

My guess in wanting to push Vecchione back a year has to do with the need to free up money for next year. That money would be used to go after some ā€œDā€. I would not be surprised if we heard something about this sooner than later..
                                PSW
                                watching from the stands, saying little

Comment

Working...
                                X