• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits: 2012-2014

The "ignore" function works wonders.
    sigpicSouthern New Hampshire University '95

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    On a side note, when I found this video I also found some highlights of CC smoking BC in St. Louis. It was even worse than I remember. My God what an abortion that night was. Wow!

Comment

Casey Thrush tweeted today that he's coming to UNH this fall:

"Excited to be headed up to UNH this fall but I will miss my teamates and billet family is Muskegon #wildcats #letsgojacks"
      "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
        Casey Thrush tweeted today that he's coming to UNH this fall:

"Excited to be headed up to UNH this fall but I will miss my teamates and billet family is Muskegon #wildcats #letsgojacks"
        I wonder if/how Casey Thrush's enrollment this fall will effect the incoming recruit list announced last month:
        Jay Camper
        Eric Chevrier
        Dan Correale
        Casey DeSmith
        Grayson Downing
        Ryan Randall
        Trevor van Riemsdyk
        Matt Willows

Possible implications (pure speculation):
        ~ Jay Camper has put his career on hold because of lingering concussion symptoms.
        ~ One of the forwards is having difficulty getting through admissions or has decided to play somewhere else.
        ~ The pursuit of Justin Kovacs (former NU recruit) came up empty so UNH moved Thrush up a year.
        ~ Thrush leaving the Muskegon Lumberjacks is potentially good news for 2013 recruit Michael McNicholas because it opens up a slot on their roster.
        Last edited by C-H-C; 07-18-2011, 02:35 PM.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Here's the announcement, from the Muskegon Lumberjacks' website, of Casey Thrush coming to UNH this fall:
          http://www.insidemuskegonlumberjacks...hp?news_id=205
          It says "Thrush planned to continue his development in Muskegon this fall and attend UNH in 2012. But an injury to another incoming freshman opened a spot, which was offered to Thrush Friday night."
          Could the injured freshman be Jay Camper?

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
            Defenseman Brett Pesce was named to the U.S. Under-18 Select Team that will compete at the 2011 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament in August (http://www.americanjuniorhockey.com/...?news_id=73442).
            Seems odd that the leading scorer in the Select 17 Development Camp, Michael McNicholas, and the second leading scorer, Ryan Fitzgerald (BC Recruit), were not named to the team.
            Had the same thoughts about those two being left off the roster. Maybe they know something we don't.

Comment

You have to like his mindset - but as for the injured incoming Fr, it's got to be something fairly serious. Mike Beck had a reconstruced ACL coming into his Fr. yr. and he still came in as scheduled and only suited up for 1 game Wish both Thrush and the injured all the best.

Side note. This looks and feels a lot like P. Thompson coming in early for T. Smith that left the program a bit earlier than expected. Was a tough yr for Paul- although he turned out ok...
              GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

• Re: UNH Recruits - 2011 & 2012

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
                Kovacs and another player maybe recruited if they don't commit this weekend, possible big change in this years class.
                Is the Casey Thrush situation the big change that was alluded to earlier in the thread...???
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

More "top prospects" following the path chosen by Ryan Bourque a couple of years ago - that is, reneging on a commitment to a Hockey East school to play major junior hockey in Canada:
                  http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/20..._bypassing.php

Comment

Update on 2012 Recruit Kyle Smith:
                    In May, Kyle Smith was drafted by the Dubuque Fighting Saints in the 15th round of the USHL Entry Draft.
                    In June, he participated in the Sioux City Musketeers' (USHL) Tryout Camp. Although he scored some points, Smith did not make the All-Star game on the final day of camp and is not on the Musketeers' 25-man active roster or affiliated list.
                    Last weekend, Smith played for the Junior Bruins in the EJHL's Summer Showcase Tournament. He tied for 5th in scoring with 4 goals and 2 assists in 5 games.
                    It looks like Kyle Smith is set to play his third season with the Junior Bruins in the 2011-12 season.

Comment

Update on 2012 Recruit Kyle Smith:
                      In May, Kyle Smith was drafted by the Dubuque Fighting Saints in the 15th round of the USHL Entry Draft.
                      In June, he participated in the Sioux City Musketeers' (USHL) Tryout Camp. Although he scored some points, Smith did not make the All-Star game on the final day of camp and is not on the Musketeers' 25-man active roster or affiliated list.
                      Last weekend, Smith played for the Junior Bruins in the EJHL's Summer Showcase Tournament. He tied for 5th in scoring with 4 goals and 2 assists in 5 games.
                      It looks like Kyle Smith is set to play his third season with the Junior Bruins in the 2011-12 season.
                      Missing the roster is not a glowing endorsement of his talent.
                      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Justin Kovacs was shown this morning on Heisenberg's site as heading to Western Michigan
                        Last edited by nhhockeyguy15; 07-28-2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nhhockeyguy15 View Post
                          Justin Kovacs was shown this morning on Heisenberg's site as heading to Western Michigan
                          So far, no other source is confirming this but it makes sense. He's a kid from Michigan and Western Michigan now has an experienced, former NHL coach in Andy Murray. I've also read some chatter about WMU trying to get into the new National Collegiate Hockey Conference.

Comment

One of the subplots in Northeastern's difficult summer is the story of Garrett Harr. In chronological order: Harr committed to play at NU; Cronin resigned; Harr was drafted in the 7th round by the Capitals; Harr decommits from NU. To that point, it's a story of a college coach looking out for his own interest and an amateur hockey player looking out for his.
                            But then came this:
                            "McPhee [VP/General Manager] and the Capitals told Haar that for his development they want him to begin playing college hockey in the fall, though, and are helping to find a school for the 17-year-old defenseman.
                            McPhee 'said that Boston College was gonna to try to get some full ride [scholarship] for me for this fall. So if that happens, then I'll be heading out to college,' said Haar, who received offers from Umass Lowell and Western Michigan for next season.
                            'George called [Jerry] York, the coach of Boston College last night, and I guess you could say he pumped my tires,' Haar said. 'He's helping me out a lot.' " (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...PKII_blog.html)

Doesn't it seem a little odd that the Vice President and General Manager of a professional hockey team would personally select one college program and try to get a talented NHL draft pick on to their roster? Doesn't this give the amateur player an unfair advantage over others trying to earn a scholarship and the college program an unfair advantage over others trying to recruit talented players? Of course, if McPhee was trying to negotiate a scholarship for Harr with Coach Umile, many of us would cheer - but, it still wouldn't seem right.

Comment

One of the subplots in Northeastern's difficult summer is the story of Garrett Harr. In chronological order: Harr committed to play at NU; Cronin resigned; Harr was drafted in the 7th round by the Capitals; Harr decommits from NU. To that point, it's a story of a college coach looking out for his own interest and an amateur hockey player looking out for his.
                              But then came this:
                              "McPhee [VP/General Manager] and the Capitals told Haar that for his development they want him to begin playing college hockey in the fall, though, and are helping to find a school for the 17-year-old defenseman.
                              McPhee 'said that Boston College was gonna to try to get some full ride [scholarship] for me for this fall. So if that happens, then I'll be heading out to college,' said Haar, who received offers from Umass Lowell and Western Michigan for next season.
                              'George called [Jerry] York, the coach of Boston College last night, and I guess you could say he pumped my tires,' Haar said. 'He's helping me out a lot.' " (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...PKII_blog.html)

Doesn't it seem a little odd that the Vice President and General Manager of a professional hockey team would personally select one college program and try to get a talented NHL draft pick on to their roster? Doesn't this give the amateur player an unfair advantage over others trying to earn a scholarship and the college program an unfair advantage over others trying to recruit talented players? Of course, if McPhee was trying to negotiate a scholarship for Harr with Coach Umile, many of us would cheer - but, it still wouldn't seem right.
                              McPhee played for York when he was at Bowling Green, hence the connection I believe.

Comment

Please tell me you're joking with this whole paragraph.

1. York coached McPhee at BG.
                                2. York is well-known for developing prospects into NHL caliber players - they've done very well with defensemen, in fact. Washington is already quite happy with Patrick Wey's development under York.
                                3. Boston College generally has deeper runs into both tournaments annually and thus the young man would play a few more games per season, which is a huge knock on the college game to begin with (as opposed to the major junior route).

Everyone has to look out for their best interests. The Capitals want what is best for their prospect - they believe that is being developed by a great coach and having a bit of a longer schedule than most schools. Sounds normal to me. Haar obviously wants what is best for him and has an advisor on his side and the Capitals weighing in on this. These people do this stuff for a living and know what they are doing. A possible move from NU to BC would be an upgrade on all fronts for hockey (schedule, coaching, big games, strength and conditioning, facilities, anything else you can think of) and education.

The unfair advantage part is hilarious. Networking and connections around the hockey world are a huge part of success in recruiting. It's a great contributor to success of a college hockey coach. Every college program has this "unfair advantage" and every amateur player does as well.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X