Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits - 2011 & 2012

Originally posted by Lake Whittemore View Post
    Cleland is one of 16 defenseman that will attend the USNTDP Evaluation Camp from the 27th to the 30th of March. Let's hope he makes the team.

Kelleher will be attending as well.
    I don't believe that is correct.

Cleland is a 94. This years NTDP camp is for 95s like Kelleher.

Cleland was at last years camp.

Comment

Matias won't be the first former Thunderbird to suit up for the 'Cats ... Current UNH blue-liner Brett Kostolansky is also a Thunderbird alum, having played in Colorado from 2003-2004 before moving on to the Chicago Steele in the USHL and then to Durham in 2009. I think Brett is one of UNH's most consistent / steady D-men; if he's an example of the ice awareness and defensive prowess taught by the T'bird coaching staff, then UNH will be lucky to add another skilled player from the same program ...

Comment

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
        Matias won't be the first former Thunderbird to suit up for the 'Cats ... Current UNH blue-liner Brett Kostolansky is also a Thunderbird alum, having played in Colorado from 2003-2004 before moving on to the Chicago Steele in the USHL and then to Durham in 2009. I think Brett is one of UNH's most consistent / steady D-men; if he's an example of the ice awareness and defensive prowess taught by the T'bird coaching staff, then UNH will be lucky to add another skilled player from the same program ...
        Everybody likes to talk about Kessel. However I think Kostolansky is UNH's best all around D-man. The one thing Kostolansky needs to work on is his shot.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
          Everybody likes to talk about Kessel. However I think Kostolansky is UNH's best all around D-man. The one thing Kostolansky needs to work on is his shot.
          Absolutely. The most important part of a defensemans game is in his own end and Kostolansky is solid. Kipp is very good as well, he has come a long way since the first half of last season. I see Kessel skating in circles in the defensive zone all too often.

Comment

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
            Welcome to the board. Kostolansky was also a seasoned player by the time he got to UNH. He played a regular shift last year as a Freshman. The announcement about Cleland's commitment said he will play for the Waterloo Blackhawks of the USHL next fall. Blake Kessel and Matt DiGirolamo also played for the Blackhawks.

In addition to Cleland and Kostolansky, there was a third commitment by a player from Colorado in the last couple of years. Goalie Cody Campbell, who enrolled at Niagara University after it became clear that UNH had tapped Casey DeSmith as their future goalie, was from Colorado Springs. I wonder which UNH coach has established the Colorado "pipeline"? In the summer, Coach Lassonde is a mentor at the Warren Strelow National Team Goaltending Camp held in Colorado Springs.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Preview of USA National Championships

The 2011 National Championships for Tier 1 Boys will be held at the International Skating Center in Simsbury, CT from March 30th to April 3rd.

Midget 18 and Under:
              UNH's newest recruit, Matias Cleland, (DOB: 1/18/94) and the Colorado Thunderbirds will compete in a 12-team field which includes other USA District Champions.
              http://www.usahockey.com/Tournament/...hockeytype=ICE
              In the first round, each team plays three games. The eight teams with the best records advance to the quarterfinals. In the 2010 Tournament, when Cleland played for the Under 16 Colorado Thunderbirds, they won the National Championship.
              During the 2010-2011 regular season, Cleland was the 3rd Leading Scorer among Defensemen in the USA Tier 1 Elite Hockey League (38 GP; 5-26-31). His 4 Powerplay Goals tied him for 1st among Defensemen.
              http://mwehl.stats.pointstreak.com/p...rs=all&sortby=

Midget 16 and Under:
              2013 Recruit Brett Pesce, (DOB:11/1994) and the North Jersey Avalanche will compete against 11 other Midget Minor teams from throughout the country. The format is the same as the U18 Division.
              http://www.usahockey.com/Tournament/...hockeytype=ICE
              In the 2010 Tournament, Pesce (then 15 years old) and the Under 16 North Jersey Avalanche, won the Silver Medal in the National Championship:
              http://www.icehousenj.com/avalanche_...lishments.aspx
              That means Pesce and Leland played against each other in the 2010 U16 Championship Game.
              Last edited by C-H-C; 03-24-2011, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                UNH's newest recruit, Matias Cleland, (DOB: 1/18/74)
                Holy shnikes, he's old!

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                  Holy shnikes, he's old!
                  If some teams can recruit 24-year-old freshman, why can't UNH have 40-year-olds?!

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                    If some teams can recruit 24-year-old freshman, why can't UNH have 40-year-olds?!
                    Who was the QB for Florida State? Chris Winke or something like that? (I know he played baseball before), he was pretty dang old

Anyway, thanks for keeping us all posted, it adds a little extra dimension, and though I don't always check this thread, its cool to see whats down the pipe!

Comment

Regardless of what happens tonight, this has been one of Coach Umilie's greatest coaching jobs. When I drove over for the exhibition game in October what did I know beyond the fabulous senior line and Blake? I knew we had lost a Hobey Baker finalist, including JVR we had lost (inexplicably) the top recruit from the last four classes, we had an undersized defense, and a goalie I had never seen play even for a minute... and here we sit, one game from the Frozen Four! With these magnificent recruiting classes ahead, it is great to proudly be a UNH hockey fan. Thanks Coach.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHfansince1971 View Post
                        Regardless of what happens tonight, this has been one of Coach Umilie's greatest coaching jobs. When I drove over for the exhibition game in October what did I know beyond the fabulous senior line and Blake? I knew we had lost a Hobey Baker finalist, including JVR we had lost (inexplicably) the top recruit from the last four classes, we had an undersized defense, and a goalie I had never seen play even for a minute... and here we sit, one game from the Frozen Four! With these magnificent recruiting classes ahead, it is great to proudly be a UNH hockey fan. Thanks Coach.
                        I would say that the team is over performing given some of their top losses, and even making steps in the NCAAs to play consistant hard faught games. They beat higher ranked seeds 3 years in a row , and they kept 2/3 teams to only one goal despite pretty close games (one against a national champ). I thought RIT was a regression, but it seemed this year with marked improvements in the HE tourny, AND the NCAAs, this clubs leadership including the staff are doing better to mentally prepare their players.

lets hope some of our key players stay, some of the new guys can chip in, and a few suprises and maybe a FF is within reach!
                        "Look to the end, no matter what it is you are considering. Often enough, God gives man a glimpse of happiness, and then utterly ruins him"

-Herodotus

Comment

Originally posted by unh_hockey View Post
                          I would say that the team is over performing given some of their top losses, and even making steps in the NCAAs to play consistant hard faught games. They beat higher ranked seeds 3 years in a row , and they kept 2/3 teams to only one goal despite pretty close games (one against a national champ). I thought RIT was a regression, but it seemed this year with marked improvements in the HE tourny, AND the NCAAs, this clubs leadership including the staff are doing better to mentally prepare their players.
                          Agreed it seems the program is slowly growing, learning to be a tougher out. RIT now appears to be a painful lesson about getting ahead of yourself after one game.
                          Last edited by JB; 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM.
                          "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Very nice comments on the end to the UNH season by the commissioner on the hockey east website.

COMMISSIONER's CORNER by Joe Bertagna

"And then there was the near-perfect performance put forth by UNH against a very good Miami team on Saturday afternoon. It is too bad that so many people focus only on titles and trophies. UNH performed better than expected all year and, in the end, went farther than any other Hockey East team. Much of their fan base never seems to fully appreciate what Coach Umile and his staff accomplish year after year. Saturday's triumph over the Redhawks was perhaps the best display of coaching we saw all year."

He also had some nice commments about Boston College and Merrimack. My hats off to those two teams. But I think Bertagna's quote says it all about UNH. They had a great season, and the coaching staff should not be overlooked. Here's to a wonderful season by the Wildcats, and let's count down the days until we can start the quest all over again.
                            Last edited by nhhockeyguy15; 03-29-2011, 09:28 AM.

Comment

RECRUIT UPDATE - Week Ending Mar. 27th

Jay Camper (Chicago/USHL) - 37 GP, 9-5-14, 26 PIM - Out since Feb. 17th with concussion symptoms.

Eric Chevrier (Cushing Academy/NEPrepHC) - (Reg. Season) 36 GP, 2-12-14. (Playoffs) 1 GP, 0-1-1,.

Casey DeSmith (Indiana Ice/USHL) - 34 GP, 21W-13L, 2.50 GAA, .922 SV%

Grayson Downing (Westside/BCHL) - (Reg. Season) 52 GP, 33-35-68, 30 PIM. (Playoffs) 9 GP, 2-7-9, 4 PIM.

Jamie Hill (Waterloo/USHL) - 53 GP, 10-11-21, 109 PIM

Ryan Randall (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - (Reg. Season) 32 GP, 11-13-24, 14 PIM. (Playoffs) 6 GP, 1-0-1, 2 PIM.

Kyle Smith (Jr. Bruins/EJHL) - (Reg. Season) 45 GP, 15-38-53, 23 PIM. (Playoffs) 5 GP, 1-2-3, 2 PIM.

Trevor van Riemsdyk (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - (Reg. Season) 39 GP, 16-22-38, 20 PIM. (Playoffs) 6 GP, 2-3-5, 4 PIM.

Matt Willows (Jersey Hitmen/EJHL) - (Reg. Season) 40 GP, 27-43-70, 43 PIM. (Playoffs) 8 GP, 5-7-12, 22 PIM

Dan Correale (Grand Prairie/AJHL) - (Reg. Season) 60 GP, 24-46-70, 28 PIM. (Playoffs) 5 GP, 2-1-3, 2 PIM.

Maxim Gaudreault (Sioux City/USHL) - 42 GP, 6-7-13, 20 PIM - Out since Feb. 25th with undisclosed injury.

Casey Thrush (Muskegon/USHL) - 55 GP, 10-16-26, 22 PIM

Mike Vecchione (Malden Catholic HS/Catholic Conf.) - (Reg. Season) 20 GP, 26-44-70. (Playoffs) 5 GP, 1-8-9.

Matias Cleland (Colorado Thunderbirds U18/Tier 1 Elite Hockey) - (Reg. Season) 38 GP, 5-26-31, 51 PIM.

Dylan Maller (DC Capitals/North American Prospects Hockey League) - (Reg. Season) 24 GP, 1-5-6, 6 PIM. (Playoffs) 5 GP, 0-0-0, 0 PIM.

Michael McNicholas (Victory Honda U18/Tier 1 Elite Hockey) - (Reg. Season) 40 GP, 12-34-46, 12 PIM. (Playoffs) 4 GP, 0-1-1, 2 PIM.

Brett Pesce (North Jersey Avalanche/Atlantic Youth Hockey League) - (Reg. Season) 20 GP, 9-18-27, 8 PIM. (Playoffs) 2 GP, 0-0-0, 0 PIM.

Andrew Poturalski (Nichols Prep School/CISAA) - (Reg. Season) 14 GP, 13-10-23, 26 PIM. (Playoffs) 4 GP, 8-0-8, 4 PIM.

Tyler Kelleher (Deerfield Academy/NEPrepFounders) - 24 GP, 11-15-26.

Playoff Picture
                              USHL:
                              The 2011 USHL Playoffs begin the week of April 11th. The top 6 teams in the Eastern Conference and Western Conference qualify for the playoffs.
                              Current Standings:
                              Indiana Ice (Casey DeSmith) - 3rd; Clinched playoff berth.
                              Muskegon Lumberjacks (Casey Thrush) -5th place.
                              Waterloo Black Hawks (Jamie Hill) -Tied 6th place.
                              Sioux City Musketeers (Maxim Gaudreault) -6th place.
                              USA Hockey National Championships:
                              The 2011 USA Tier 1 National Championships begin on March 30th.
                              Matias Cleland and the Colorado Thunderbirds will participate in the U 18 Tournament.
                              Brett Pesce and the North Jersey Avalanche will participate in the U 16 Tournament.

Comment

In the first game of the first round of the USA U-18 National Championship, 2013 recruit, Matias Cleland, scored the first goal (which was the game-winning goal) on a powerplay. The Colorado Thunderbirds defeated the Buffalo Regals 6-0:
                                http://www.usahockey.com/Tournament/...1&GameID=34958

In the first game of the U-16 competition, Brett Pesce and the North Jersey Avalanche lost to Honeybaked 4-3 in overtime:
                                http://www.usahockey.com/Tournament/...2&GameID=34938

Comment

Working...
                                X