Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits - 2011 & 2012

Originally posted by unhcats99 View Post
    I had almost forgotten about Knodel. And I must admit that I did forget about Justin Agosta, who didn't play at all this year. While the crop of new talent in the next two years is encouraging, I hope that the coaches can figure out the logistics so that we don't have more defections. Despite the fact that Knodel was a draftee and is a big body, he couldn't crack the line up this year (shades of John Doherty). But if the 'Cats do bring in 3 D next year and Kessel stays, we're looking at 9 D (oye!), and more guys riding the pine. And while I was down on Blake at times this year for his Brian Yandle "close your eyes and shoot" plays, he's obviously a solid player...someone that won't be replaced by a Freshman.

And as we all know, despite our offensive loses year after year, we almost always have guys that step up and replace the points. So I guess having too much defense is not a bad thing...especially since the D looks as good as it has in a while (ok, that's not saying much). I guess my point is that I don't want others "pulling a Laleggia" (boy would he have looked good in a blue & white sweater next year).
    I think Randall, forward converted to D (this year?) is the swing guy. If Kessel returns Randall gets another year in juniors to refine his game as a D-man.

Knodel is the disappointment for me this year. I am surprised he didn't get some ice time at least in some of the small rinks on away games. The guy that would likely have sat is Beck and you know how Umile is with upper classmen.

I think it was known Agosta was going to sit most of the year and only play if there was an injury disaster. Book on him coming in was he still needed to work on his skating coming from roller hockey.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
      I wonder...After Mike Vecchione savors his team's championship then graduates from Malden Catholic this spring, will he go out to Nebraska to play for the USHL team that drafted him or will he stay closer to home and play for the Jr. Monarchs or Jr. Bruins in the EJHL?
      That is a good question. They will be working on it as we speak. Look for him to land in USHL or BCHL, probably not EJ.

Would be good for him to get away for a year and play for a year at either level. Vernon and Dubuque will be the focus, Tri City is not an option.

Here is a video that shows his highlight goal as well as an ast on the 2nd goal. Both were great plays.

http://boston.com/sports/schools/video/

Here is an article on him as well.

The best player in Mass hs hockey and he is still only 17. Wont turn 18 until next fall.

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools...ed_by_example/
      Last edited by Hokydad; 03-21-2011, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie
        do not disparage Knodel. Ask anyone who you may know around the program. He has been outstanding in practice all year. He has been patiently waiting for his turn. You may have noticed that the 6 D and the goalie played every minute of every game ( Digi did get pulled for 2 minutes early in the year.). Knodel gets big respect from his teamates.
        Personally I am disparaging the coaching staff if anyone for not playing Knodel. Not the other way around. I had heard he has be outstanding at practice.

Would Kessel's leg been better with a weekend off at some point? If Knodel had been developed in the early season that might have been an option down the stretch.

Would Umile's confidence in the 4th line be better if Hardowa was playing up. Hardowa has played center a couple times the last 2 years and the line has looked solid defensively with him. If Knodel had been developed in the early season that might have been an option when Bruke got hurt again.
        Last edited by JB; 03-21-2011, 10:32 AM.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

RECRUIT UPDATE - Week Ending Mar. 20th

Jay Camper (Chicago/USHL) - 37 GP, 9-5-14, 26 PIM - Out indefinitely with concussion.

Eric Chevrier (Cushing Academy/NEPrepHC) - (Reg. Season) 36 GP, 2-12-14. (Playoffs) 1 GP, 0-1-1,.

Casey DeSmith (Indiana Ice/USHL) - 32 GP, 20W-12L, 2.50 GAA, .922 SV%

Grayson Downing (Westside/BCHL) - (Reg. Season) 52 GP, 33-35-68, 30 PIM. (Playoffs) 9 GP, 2-7-9, 4 PIM.

Jamie Hill (Waterloo/USHL) - 50 GP, 9-10-19, 105 PIM

Ryan Randall (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - (Reg. Season) 32 GP, 11-13-24, 14 PIM. (Playoffs) 6 GP, 1-0-1, 2 PIM.

Kyle Smith (Jr. Bruins/EJHL) - (Reg. Season) 45 GP, 15-38-53, 23 PIM. (Playoffs) 5 GP, 1-2-3, 2 PIM.

Trevor van Riemsdyk (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - (Reg. Season) 39 GP, 16-22-38, 20 PIM. (Playoffs) 6 GP, 2-3-5, 4 PIM.

Matt Willows (Jersey Hitmen/EJHL) - (Reg. Season) 40 GP, 27-43-70, 43 PIM. (Playoffs) 8 GP, 5-7-12, 22 PIM

Dan Correale (Grand Prairie/AJHL) - (Reg. Season) 60 GP, 24-46-70, 28 PIM. (Playoffs) 5 GP, 2-1-3, 2 PIM.

Maxim Gaudreault (Sioux City/USHL) - 42 GP, 6-7-13, 20 PIM

Casey Thrush (Muskegon/USHL) - 52 GP, 9-12-21, 22 PIM

Mike Vecchione (Malden Catholic HS/Catholic Conf.) - (Reg. Season) 20 GP, 26-44-70. (Playoffs) 5 GP, 1-8-9.

Dylan Maller (DC Capitals/North American Prospects Hockey League) - (Reg. Season) 24 GP, 1-5-6, 6 PIM. (Playoffs) 5 GP, 0-0-0, 0 PIM.

Michael McNicholas (Victory Honda U18/Tier 1 Elite Hockey) - (Reg. Season) 40 GP, 12-34-46, 12 PIM. (Playoffs) 4 GP, 0-1-1, 2 PIM.

Brett Pesce (North Jersey Avalanche/Atlantic Youth Hockey League) - (Reg. Season) 20 GP, 9-18-27, 8 PIM. (Playoffs) 2 GP, 0-0-0, 0 PIM.

Andrew Poturalski (Nichols Prep School/CISAA) - (Reg. Season) 14 GP, 13-10-23, 26 PIM. (Playoffs) 4 GP, 8-0-8, 4 PIM.

Tyler Kelleher (Deerfield Academy/NEPrepFounders) - 24 GP, 11-15-26.

Playoff Highlights:
          2011 Recruits:
          Ryan Randall & Trevor van Riemsdyk - Manchester Jr. Monarchs won EJHL Championship.
          Matt Willows - Jersey Hitmen lost in Championship Round.
          Willows led the EJHL in Playoff Scoring.
          2012 Recruits:
          Mike Vecchione - Malden Catholic won Mass High School Super 8 Championship.
          USHL Update:
          2012 Recruits:
          Maxim Gaudreault has not played since Feb 25th. No information on his status is available on the internet.
          The USHL Regular Season ends on April 9th.
          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by JB View Post
            Personally I am disparaging the coaching staff if anyone for not playing Knodel. Not the other way around. I had heard he has be outstanding at practice.

Would Kessel's leg been better with a weekend off at some point? If Knodel had been developed in the early season that might have been an option down the stretch.

Would Umile's confidence in the 4th line be better if Hardowa was playing up. Hardowa has played center a couple times the last 2 years and the line has looked solid defensively with him. If Knodel had been developed in the early season that might have been an option when Bruke got hurt again.
            Has there been any concrete reports regarding Kessels leg injury? Because Kessel always seemed to kind of glide around on 1 leg during warmups, even in previous seasons. I think its just how he rolls

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
              Has there been any concrete reports regarding Kessels leg injury? Because Kessel always seemed to kind of glide around on 1 leg during warmups, even in previous seasons. I think its just how he rolls
              I have not seen any official confirmation. But that is always tough to come by with college athletes.

He certainly has lost some of his burst and general speed both forward and backwards this year as compared to last.

Comment

Thanks Goldie, that's what I want to hear. Hopefully he will get the chance to contribute next year. It would be nice to have a big guy with some skill. Like I said, our D is much improved, but it adds a facet to that D corps in smaller rinks.

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                  I think you're right about this one.
                  UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

Knodel is the disappointment for me this year. I am surprised he didn't get some ice time at least in some of the small rinks on away games. The guy that would likely have sat is Beck and you know how Umile is with upper classmen.
                    Greg Manz says hello. Umile didn't have any problem sitting him all season after playing his entire junior year for mediocre freshmen this year. Knodel is not a step down from Beck. Just an interesting inconsistency in doling out playing time there.

Comment

Not sure if you've seen this: Cleland Commits to University of New Hampshire

The Colorado Thunderbirds U18 team is pleased to announce that Matias Cleland has committed to play Division 1 college hockey for the University of New Hampshire in the Hockey East conference starting in the fall of 2013. Matias, born in 1994, is a defenseman playing for the Colorado Thunderbirds U18 team and is from Longmont, CO.

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
                        Here's a teaser from The Scouting News:
                        http://www.thescoutingnews.com/index...0399&Itemid=54
                        Anyone have access to the whole article?
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Cleland seems to be highly regarded by a lot of sources - very nice pick up. Now make sure to get him on campus...
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

well- he seems to have good grades!! That was the issue with - Yandle, Reid & White and maybe even O'Neill who ended up at Maine. Another high quality sign, it appears to be. Looked like the WHL was very interested in him as well.

Future is looking good!
                            GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                              The best player in Mass hs hockey and he is still only 17. Wont turn 18 until next fall.

http://www.boston.com/sports/schools...ed_by_example/
                              Well congrats to my alma mater. 37 years is a LONG time between titles. Vecchione may very well be the best player in MA hs hockey, but Harvard is also getting a good one. I was very impressed with Blackwell from SJP.
                              Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Cleland is one of 16 defenseman that will attend the USNTDP Evaluation Camp from the 27th to the 30th of March. Let's hope he makes the team.

Kelleher will be attending as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X