Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Recruits - 2011 & 2012

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
    Defintely sounds like there is a story there- not sure it has much to due with getting recognition, etc.. I think that maybe he wanted to come in this yr and/or that he felt a bit intimidated with TvR also having eyes on the point position.

c'est la vie!
    Still pis ses me off losing player after player by "decommitting"... you watch... Laleggia and Reid are going to be really good. Not just decent, but key guys at Denver and SCSU, respectively. Would serve Umile right if either guy came back to haunt him.
    Last edited by Malts18; 10-08-2010, 04:10 PM.
    Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
    ECAC Tourney Champs 79
    Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
    Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
    Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
    NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
      Still pis ses me off losing player after player by "decommitting"... you watch... Laleggia and Reid are going to be really good. Not just decent, but key guys at Denver and SCSU, respectively. Would serve Umile right if either guy came back to haunt him.
      Good to see you back on the board Chad. It must have really sucked to not be able to see UNH at the Frozen Four in your neck of the woods last spring. It sucked pretty bad around here as well.
      I suspect you are absolutely correct that Laleggia and Cam Reid will be outstanding college players. I'd add Matt White (former USHL Player of the Year), who defected to the University of Nebraska-Omaha, to that list. From what I've read, it looks like Laleggia is too small for the NHL so he'll be a solid 4-year guy for Denver.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
        Good to see you back on the board Chad. It must have really sucked to not be able to see UNH at the Frozen Four in your neck of the woods last spring. It sucked pretty bad around here as well.
        I suspect you are absolutely correct that Laleggia and Cam Reid will be outstanding college players. I'd add Matt White (former USHL Player of the Year), who defected to the University of Nebraska-Omaha, to that list. From what I've read, it looks like Laleggia is too small for the NHL so he'll be a solid 4-year guy for Denver.
        I look at Laleggia different than Reid or White.

Laleggia chose to not come in for some reason. Not feeling the love?...

Reid and White couldn't get through admissions.

Not the same situation with these three.
        "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

White was 2-1--3, playing on the top line for UNO, in his college debut tonight...
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Judging by what I saw on TV, UNH better recruit some goaltending. That kid is awful.
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
              I look at Laleggia different than Reid or White.

Laleggia chose to not come in for some reason. Not feeling the love?...

Reid and White couldn't get through admissions.

Not the same situation with these three.
              JB... still, the end result is the same: really talented kids NOT playing for UNH after committing.

Just makes me mad to watch kid after kid after kid say he is coming and then never make it to campus.... I suppose you can add K Yandle and Bourque to that mix, too.

At the end of the day, we are fielding a weaker team.
              Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

UNH Wildcats
              ECAC Tourney Champs 79
              Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
              NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                Judging by what I saw on TV, UNH better recruit some goaltending. That kid is awful.
                Onion... not sure what game you were watching, but, exactly, which goal(s) did you think DiGi was at fault on?? The UNH D hung him out to dry on nearly every one and of the 5 goals (they had a ENG, too), all were rockets and very well placed.

DiGi did make some very good saves over the course of the night. Guess my take on Game 1 in Miami is different than yours. Did you watch the game or listen on radio?

UNH Wildcats
                ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
                  Onion... not sure what game you were watching, but, exactly, which goal(s) did you think DiGi was at fault on?? The UNH D hung him out to dry on nearly every one and of the 5 goals (they had a ENG, too), all were rockets and very well placed.

DiGi did make some very good saves over the course of the night. Guess my take on Game 1 in Miami is different than yours. Did you watch the game or listen on radio?
                  I watched it on TV. He made a few good saves, but he gets beats on screens very easily and drops too fast.. I watched it without caring who won, so maybe I'm being more objective. Miami was beatable last night and I think a better UNH goalie wins it for them. Just my .02. Not a diss.
                  Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                    I watched it on TV. He made a few good saves, but he gets beats on screens very easily and drops too fast.. I watched it without caring who won, so maybe I'm being more objective. Miami was beatable last night and I think a better UNH goalie wins it for them. Just my .02. Not a diss.
                    I have to agree. He plays way too deep in his net...if he's not swimming in the paint he gets a shoulder on a couple of those shots (2nd and 5th I believe), and the 4th goal went right through his arm because he was again slow getting out and set. He gave up enormous rebounds all night that fortunately did not come back to haunt him, and some of the "big" saves he made either came off of previously mentioned bad rebounds or were just plain lucky in the sense that he was flopping around and a puck happened to hit him...or a defenseman...or a post. This guy is a technical nightmare.

Comment

Whether its talented recruits backing out or just a general downturn in recruiting (or both) it does seem that UNH's overall talent level is a notch below what it used to be 5-10 years ago.

Comment

Cody Campbell (Cedar Rapids/USHL) - 0 GP,

Jay Camper (Chicago/USHL) - 4 GP, 0-0-0, 0 PIM

Eric Chevrier (Cushing Academy) - Season TBA

Grayson Downing (Westside/BCHL) - 12 GP, 8-6-14, 8 PIM

Jamie Hill (Waterloo/USHL) - 2 GP, 0-0-0, 2 PIM

Kyle Smith (Jr. Bruins/EJHL) - 8 GP, 3-9-12, 2 PIM

Trevor van Riemsdyk (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - 9 GP, 5-3-8, 6 PIM

Maxim Gaudreault (Sioux City/USHL) - 2 GP, 0-0-0, 0 PIM

Casey Thrush (Muskegon/USHL) - 2 GP, 0-0-0, 0 PIM

Mike Vecchione (Malden Catholic H.S.) - Season TBA

The EJHLers had a productive week:
                        In 3 games, Kyle Smith scored 2 goals and 4 assists and earned the 1st star and 2nd star. Smith is tied for 5th in scoring in the EJHL.
                        Also over 3 games, TvR had a goal and 2 assists, both assists coming on the power play. TvR is tied for 9th in scoring in the league.

In the USHL, Casey Thrush has not scored and did not play in the 3rd game of the season. In the second game, he was not one of the Lumberjacks chosen for the shootout.
                        In the first two games of the season, Cody Campbell has been the backup goalie and has not played.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                          Whether its talented recruits backing out or just a general downturn in recruiting (or both) it does seem that UNH's overall talent level is a notch below what it used to be 5-10 years ago.
                          This has been discussed at great length elsewhere.

My take on that situation: the departure of Coach McCloskey for the women's team. There was a veritable pipeline between B.C. in Canada, that whole northwestern area, and UNH -- that went away when he stopped being the recruiter for the men's team, IMHO.
                          I haven't been on here in a year...
                          Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post

In the USHL, Casey Thrush has not scored and did not play in the 3rd game of the season. In the second game, he was not one of the Lumberjacks chosen for the shootout.
                            In the first two games of the season, Cody Campbell has been the backup goalie and has not played.
                            Casey was the Lumberjack's #1 pick- he'll get his playing time, I believe- either he's hurt or taking a game or two to observe and learn.

Campbell on the other hand is, at least right now, playing back up to a 20yr old rookie who is already taking classes at a community college. Not sure how often that happens- maybe he's hoping land a gig in Jan. at the college level? Why else would one burn time on eligiblity? (I'm assuming his eligibility clock starts ticking once he started in CC/JC)
                            GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
                              Casey was the Lumberjack's #1 pick- he'll get his playing time, I believe- either he's hurt or taking a game or two to observe and learn.

Campbell on the other hand is, at least right now, playing back up to a 20yr old rookie who is already taking classes at a community college. Not sure how often that happens- maybe he's hoping land a gig in Jan. at the college level? Why else would one burn time on eligiblity? (I'm assuming his eligibility clock starts ticking once he started in CC/JC)
                              Almost every USHL kid that has graduated high school takes at least one community college course per semester.
                              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

This article (http://thegazette.com/2010/06/06/133356/) doesn't explain why Cody Campbell has not played in the first two games of the USHL season but it does describe where the RoughRiders' starting goalie came from. Apparently, Brady Hjelle used to play for Cedar Rapids then last year he played for the University of Minnesota Duluth. He reportedly wasn't getting enough playing time so he returned to the RoughRiders for this season. Other articles in the Cedar Rapids Gazette describe Campbell and Hjelle as the goalie tandem which suggests that Cody will get some playing time.

Comment

Working...
                                X