UNH Recruits: 2012-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits - 2011 & 2012

Last summer, Andrew Poturalski was chosen to participate in the U.S. Select 16 Player Development Camp conducted by USA Hockey. In 5 games he scored 4 goals and 1 assist and was named to the All-Star Team.

Poturalski plays center for the Nichols School. His hometown of Williamsville, NY is about 15 miles from Phil DeSimone's hometown, East Amherst, NY.
    Last edited by C-H-C; 02-09-2011, 09:30 AM.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

First in what could be many incoming '13 forwards to replace- Henrion, Burke, Speelman, Block, Pavelski and Ivens-Anderson.
      I think a few things stand out for him- the 4g-1a in 5games for the U16 squad & the fact that he has 10 goals in his last 6 games for Nichols(includes 2 hat tricks)- went 1g-1a today so 10g-10a- 20points in 10games- that's good right?
      GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
        First in what could be many incoming '13 forwards to replace- Henrion, Burke, Speelman, Block, Pavelski and Ivens-Anderson.
        I think a few things stand out for him- the 4g-1a in 5games for the U16 squad & the fact that he has 10 goals in his last 6 games for Nichols(includes 2 hat tricks)- went 1g-1a today so 10g-10a- 20points in 10games- that's good right?
        Interesting... yes, we have to take his high school at face value, but I will take a kid with a scoring touch any day at most levels. Remember Bobby Butler?? What was the beef with him? Yeah... kid can score but he played for Marlborough High School and went 116-53-169 in 50 games in his jr and sr seasons. Wicked #s but ppl bitc hed because it was Division 3 in Mass. Like it somehow didn't count. Oh...and he led Marlborough to the Div 3 State Championship, too. Guys who can score are worth a good shot... sometimes they really can turn up their games despite the level of the league.

This kid has that knack... clearly. Hope he does well at Sioux City and we will be waiting to see him in the Fall of '13 in Durham...
        Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
        ECAC Tourney Champs 79
        Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
        Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
        Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
        NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Absolutely! Actually- I was having some fun with the ney sayers! Not only are his #'s very good, he validated that w/ the U16's- Time will tell as you indicated w/ the USHL- I'm going to go out on a limb and wager that he spends 2 seasons out there, not 1. Just my guess.
          GSP.. Get Some!!

Comment

Originally posted by i'zonprize View Post
            Absolutely! Actually- I was having some fun with the ney sayers! Not only are his #'s very good, he validated that w/ the U16's- Time will tell as you indicated w/ the USHL- I'm going to go out on a limb and wager that he spends 2 seasons out there, not 1. Just my guess.
            Maybe, but it will likely depend on how well he is doing there... coupled with our needs at the time, too.
            Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
            ECAC Tourney Champs 79
            Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
            Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
            Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
            NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
              Quotes from Laleggia

Reading between the lines - Coach Umile didn't give Laleggia the recognition he thought he deserved (a 3 or 4-year scholarship? Guaranteed playing time? Sufficient accolades?) so Laleggia said see you later - I'm going where I'm really wanted.

I still want to know what really happened. I hope some local reporter looks into it.
              If the kid's a little too full of himself, it may be a good thing he went elsewhere. Umile isn't the type to fawn over a player.

The history with Eddie Caron and even JVR speaks to that. Never thought JVR gave UNH his best. Always thought he felt he was better than the program. He is a excellent player with fabulous skills but I don't think he ever played to his potential at UNH.

Comment

Originally posted by gdawg View Post
                If the kid's (Lelaggia) a little too full of himself, it may be a good thing he went elsewhere. Umile isn't the type to fawn over a player.

The history with Eddie Caron and even JVR speaks to that. Never thought JVR gave UNH his best. Always thought he felt he was better than the program. He is a excellent player with fabulous skills but I don't think he ever played to his potential at UNH.
                Your observation that Coach Umile "isn't the type to fawn over a player" makes a lot of sense. Watching him interact with players during the games, he seems to treat all of his players - "stars" and 4th liners - in an even-handed way. He's just as harsh, if not more so, when a team leader makes a costly or stupid mistake. For example, he has shown his obvious displeasure when DeSimone has taken unnecessary tripping/hooking penalties in the offensive end.

Could you refresh our memories about what happened in the Eddie Caron case?

Comment

Your observation that Coach Umile "isn't the type to fawn over a player" makes a lot of sense. Watching him interact with players during the games, he seems to treat all of his players - "stars" and 4th liners - in an even-handed way. He's just as harsh, if not more so, when a team leader makes a costly or stupid mistake. For example, he has shown his obvious displeasure when DeSimone has taken unnecessary tripping/hooking penalties in the offensive end.
                  I have been told Umile is an aquired taste over 4 years. By the time these guys are Seniors he is coach and friend, the bonds are strong and he regularly -like weekly or monthly depending one what is going on- hears from a good chunk of past players. However, as a Freshman they are all basically afraid of him and he rarely speaks to them. I heard one (don't remember who) say he basically didn't have direct one-on-one communication the entire first year and he was happy about it, sounded like the only time that happens is when you really mess up.

Please note: I have NO facts on this just what I have picked up along the way from hearing current and past players talk. It also maybe different for an incoming star vs an incoming J.A.G.
                  Last edited by JB; 02-10-2011, 09:54 AM.
                  "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    I have been told Umile is an aquired taste over 4 years. By the time these guys are Seniors he is coach and friend, the bonds are strong and he regularly -like weekly or monthly depending one what is going on- hears from a good chunk of past players. However, as a Freshman they are all basically afraid of him and he rarely speaks to them. I heard one (don't remember who) say he basically didn't have direct one-on-one communication the entire first year and he was happy about it, sounded like the only time that happens is when you really mess up.

Please note: I have NO facts on this just what I have picked up along the way from hearing current and past players talk. It also maybe different for an incoming star vs an incoming J.A.G.
                    Your observations about Coach Umile's style with players who are on the team also makes sense. I wonder how this translates into his interactions with recruits? Taking what you and gdawg have said, I can imagine that he responds to someone with Joey Laleggia's talent with politeness but not reverence. If such a recruit tried to parlay their rising stock (e.g., interest by Major Juniors; NHL draft pick; selection to international teams; etc.) into a commitment for more playing time or a larger scholarship, then it probably would not be well-received. I don't know whether this has happened in any of the recent cases (e.g., Bourque, Reid, Laleggia) but it isn't a stretch to imagine that it might have. Of course, this is all speculation. Only the coaching staff and potential recruits actually know how the process works.
                    Last edited by C-H-C; 02-10-2011, 10:48 AM.

Comment

If such a recruit tried to parlay their rising stock (e.g., interest by Major Juniors; NHL draft pick; selection to international teams; etc.) into a commitment for more playing time or a larger scholarship, then it probably would not be well-received. I don't know whether this has happened in any of the recent cases (e.g., Bourque, Reid, Laleggia) but it isn't a stretch to imagine that it might have. Of course, this is all speculation. Only the coaching staff and potential recruits actually know how the process works.
                      Like you I have no inside information and this is just my opinion...but my concern as a UNH fan would be that a player of Laleggia's stature (potentially) felt he had to lobby for something...be it scholarship or whatever. Lets assume it was a larger scholarship as that seems to be the most likely culprit...I think most players understand that playing time has to be earned. Laleggia should have been offered the max from the beginning. By all accounts he is going to be an elite puckmoving defenseman. I'm glad Umile doesn't kowtow to the whims and demands of recruits...but Gwoz doesn't seem like a pushover either. Umile shouldn't be blamed for sticking to his guns...but he is responsible if the right offer wasn't put on the table.

My best guess is that when Laleggia committed he was about 5'4 125 pounds and if I recall was the first kid to commit to UNH in this class. They probably made him an offer and said listen kid we're taking a shot in the dark because of your size and we have to be able to go get some other players...so let's see where we are at in the next few years and we can re-evaluate. Then they probably went out and spent the rest of their scholarship dollars for the upcoming season on other players and had nothing left when Laleggia came back to them and said ok i'm bigger, i'm stronger, i'm still a good player and i want what is fair.

More than likely had Laleggia shown up in Durham, Umile would have found a way down the line to get him some extra money as kids graduate or walk away, but there was probably no way to do it right now. Laleggia may have viewed that is not getting the appreciation or respect he deserved, and here we are.

Again, just my take on what might have transpired.

Comment

UNH Sucks.

(Sorry, I'm in a trolling mood. It's Beanpot season.)
                        Originally posted by Bakunin
                        Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                          UNH Sucks.

(Sorry, I'm in a trolling mood. It's Beanpot season.)
                          Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
                            Like you I have no inside information and this is just my opinion...but my concern as a UNH fan would be that a player of Laleggia's stature (potentially) felt he had to lobby for something...be it scholarship or whatever. Lets assume it was a larger scholarship as that seems to be the most likely culprit...I think most players understand that playing time has to be earned. Laleggia should have been offered the max from the beginning. By all accounts he is going to be an elite puckmoving defenseman. I'm glad Umile doesn't kowtow to the whims and demands of recruits...but Gwoz doesn't seem like a pushover either. Umile shouldn't be blamed for sticking to his guns...but he is responsible if the right offer wasn't put on the table.

My best guess is that when Laleggia committed he was about 5'4 125 pounds and if I recall was the first kid to commit to UNH in this class. They probably made him an offer and said listen kid we're taking a shot in the dark because of your size and we have to be able to go get some other players...so let's see where we are at in the next few years and we can re-evaluate. Then they probably went out and spent the rest of their scholarship dollars for the upcoming season on other players and had nothing left when Laleggia came back to them and said ok i'm bigger, i'm stronger, i'm still a good player and i want what is fair.

More than likely had Laleggia shown up in Durham, Umile would have found a way down the line to get him some extra money as kids graduate or walk away, but there was probably no way to do it right now. Laleggia may have viewed that is not getting the appreciation or respect he deserved, and here we are.

Again, just my take on what might have transpired.
                            Thanks for advancing the discussion. The scenario you describe could very well have happened. It also highlights how every potential recruit is an individual with differing circumstances from all other recruits. For every Joey Laleggia who decides to go elsewhere, there's a Blake Kessel, and hopefully Grayson Downing and Dan Correale - recruits who are satisfied with the offer and are willing to bring their talent across the continent to Durham.

Comment

Kees da recruits butt.
                              don't kees da recruits butt.

I not no wheech he do ou wheech is betture, really

what I do no is whatevure e do eet not working, et maybe eet time pour eem to get seek of pound e ed again da wall et do somting differente, eh.

Costanza Dicks, tink Costnanza

Comment

With the team playing better than expected and the coaching staff (you remember those "old guys" who young kids don't want to play for) obtaining commitments from high-scoring juniors, prep school, and high school players, I didn't think we'd hear from Montreal Chuck until early April.
                                Wonder when we can expect his heart-felt letter calling for Coach Umile to step aside and make room for some younger coach?
                                Last edited by C-H-C; 02-10-2011, 06:07 PM. Reason: Honoring the ignore function.

Comment

Working...
                                X