Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits - 2011 & 2012

Originally posted by UNHfansince1971 View Post
    Next year's class has me excited and may make up for the (to-date) unimpressive group this year... but after all these years in a row losing the top recruit, Umile's work has been impressive.
    I wouldn't say this year’s group has been unimpressive. On the contrary I actually like the players. There isn't a 60 point season like Haydar had but when was the last truly high scoring freshman season or even a 60 pint season by any player. Umile depends on growth of the player year over year. I am not sure what the future holds for these freshman but the recent growth track record says there should be at least one or two that score better next year and beyond. For me the Freshman this year do their job well and to my eyes they are, it isn't all about the points they score.

I have found the maturity of Silengo's center play a pleasant surprise. He has played all but 2 games and that in itself is impressive at UNH. He has clearly passed McCarey, Pavelski, Manz and Block on the depth chart as each has sat more games. Now not all are centers but Umile in the past has tweaked line up to play more upper classmen. His 7 point may not seem impressive; however what he is able to do defensively allows Umile to role 4 lines when he wants. We have already seen more of the 4th line this year than all of last year. I would say a big part of that is Silengo's steady play, doing what he is asked to do.

Sorkin has also made an impact. He has played all but 1 game and as a wing could have easily been sat by the staff. Again it is not about point production, although that would be nice. Sorkin has even slid to center on occasion(last weekend) and played well there. His size and speed combo have allowed him to play with small speedy players and handle the board work. I think the best line on the ice last Saturday was Burke-Sorkin-Moses, the score sheet didn’t show it but I don’t recall much time in the D-zone with that line.

Goumas's hustle and tenacity make him a good fourth liner for now, 17 games played also illustrates his impact as again he has supplanted some upper classmen.

I am disappointed we have not seen some of Knodel the experience encase he is needed.

Agosta was a known project coming in. The "book" on him was really good hands, needed work on skating both stemming for his roller hockey background. There have been many skaters come in to UNH with "needs work on skating" or "skating issues" that have had that corrected. I think somebody (Umile) knows how to fix those things.

Wyer, when was the last true freshman goalie at UNH to get ice time....

In all not a bad group, the only issue I can see is a lack of preparation if one of the top 6 D should go down.
    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      I'm really surprised to see Knodel with zero games played at this point. At this stage, I really hope he doesnt play at all this season. If thats the case, you'll have a kid who could have skated a regular shift at CC last season - who would still have four years of eligibility left beginning next fall...

I'll feel pretty comfortable going into next season with Kostolansky, Kipp, Hardowa, Knodel, TVR and Chevrier/Randall/Agosta.

I'll be more worried about the offense without Desimone/Sislo/Thompson/Kessel. But that was my concern this year too - somehow/someway Umile and staff always generate offense...
      First I can't decide if Kessel has regressed or is board. On the ice he is not showing he is ready for the next step. If he is "coasting" through the regular season and turns it on in the playoffs I will change my mind, but for now how does anybody think he is ready for the next level. Currently he isn't the best defenseman on the team - based on this year’s play.

Second I think your scoring next year is Henrion, Speelman and Burke (not on the same line). Both show signs this year. The real question is can Burke stay healthy, he is just getting back into form from mono. Add a scoring center like Downing and you have a first line. Add in Freshman to Sophomore bumps with Sorkin and Silengo and there is a second line in those 6 too.
      "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

For the heck of it, I looked at the "Archive Stats" on the UNH Wildcats website to see how recent freshman classes have performed (hey, there's a "super storm", I'm retired, my wife's at work, and my golf clubs are in the basement - what else was I going to do?)

For each season, I've shown which freshman scored 10 or more points:
        09-10
        Kostolansky - 12 points
        Burke - 10 points
        08-09
        Kessel - 13 points
        Moses - 13 points
        07-08
        JvR - 34 points
        Dries - 28 points
        DeSimone - 13 points
        Thompson - 12 points
        06-07
        Butler - 12 points
        05-06
        Smith - 20 points
        Pollastrone - 16 points
        04-05
        Fornataro - 20 points
        Radja - 20 points
        03-04
        Micflikier - 26 points
        Hemingway - 19 points
        Winnik - 14 points

Compared to these past freshman classes, the current group - Silengo, 7 pts; Sorkin, 4 pts; Goumas, 3 pts. - is somewhat below average.
        How much better would this year's team be if JvR and Dries had stayed and Bourque, Reid and White had enrolled?
        Last edited by C-H-C; 02-02-2011, 09:57 AM.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Well we are about 2/3rd of the way throught the season so projecting at the current rate...
          Silengo - 10.5
          Sorkin - 6
          Goumas - 4.5

However, without looking at the trends I would hazard a guess that the later in the season you get the more points that are scored. It is the reason for a typical freshman the sophomore significant bump (for those with playing time).

Comment

JB, I think you are missing the boat on this year's freshmen. I'm not saying those three won't go on to successful careers at UNH, but I believe the reason they have gotten so much ice time (while failing to back it up with stats) is that Umile is worried about where points are going to come from next year. When looking at their #'s compared to other freshmen classes, one must also consider that those three have all gotten significant minutes on lines 2-3, while in the past we would see talents like Desimone/Thompson/Butler play the majority of their freshmen seasons getting five shifts a game on the 4th line.
            Goumas/Silengo show similar skill sets to Manz/McCarey. In the past, the nod for ice time would go to the senior and junior, who have put in a few years of work in with the program. This year, however, we are seeing the stress being placed on developing Goumas/Sorkin/Silengo for the next few years, and the veterans are getting the short end of the stick imo.
            What's also interesting to note is that the forwards are being treated in the opposite manner of the defensemen. Here's a different way to look at it. Mike Beck is the 6th defenseman on the depth chart and is a senior. He's played every game this season while Knodel (who was a 5th rd draft choice two years ago) watches from the stands. Either the coaches see a large talent discrepancy between Beck and Knodel, and not so much between Manz/McCarey and Goumas/Silengo, or they just want to take Knodel's development along slowly.
            Cases can be made for both ways of doing things, but it is interesting to note that Boston College has played every player on their roster this year, and only one player (Dyroff) didn't get game action last year.
            Last edited by RockTheWhit; 02-02-2011, 10:49 AM.
            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

RTW,

I see this years team as having a 1st line and 3 3rd lines. Umile is still hunting for the pieces to a second line. I think the desire has been for Moses-Borsenok-whoever to be the 2nd line. Seems to me he has switched focus to finding the two guys to go with Henrion.

I agree that getting more guys playing time and being less worried about the regular season championship is a better use of the regular season. It creates better depth. Forward does not seem to be as much of a concern outside the first line (really Thompson IMO), as there is a pile of interchangable parts, blessing and curse as most right now a 3rd liners at best. D is a concern and I think Knodel getting playing time would have been on my list of things to do early in the year. Bad enough the 8th D is a project why not at least get the 7th involved. Keeps guys hungry, rested and puts the team in a better position.

As to future scoring that seem to be the question every year since 2000. Once in a while it actually bites UNH in the butt. I don't think you are seeing Freshman playing this year for next. That would seem counter to the practices of the coaching staff.

I think that Sorkin, Silengo are better than many upper classmen on this team, particularly the ones not playing. It goes to the real depth of those upper class players and the type of player UNH has needed with the late defections (for whatever reason) of some top recruited tallent. As watcher used to point out UNH falls to the safe older player when filling a late spot instead of taking a flyer on a kid to develop. The only one that surprises me is the playing time Goumas has earned at the expense of McCarey. I have liked what I have seen of McCarey when he has played. Beyond that I see more in the 3 freshman forwards that Manz/Pavelski etc.

Do I wish this years freshman were tearing up the scoring sheet? Absolutely! However, their other skills at this point have provided some interesting players. Silengo may never be a top two center but he will be a solid 4 year defensive center and while not a great piece it is a nice piece to have. I think Sorkin will score more hopefully later this year, if not next year.

Comment

Looks like some other fans have some downtime today.

As to the question of where the points will come from next year - one of the reasons I liked Dan's suggestion that Downing, Correale, Willows and Camper enter as freshman next year is that the first three have the potential to be very productive scorers. As the 07-08 and 03-04 freshman classes showed, the frosh can be big contributors.

Another angle on the search for offensive production is to look at who were the leading scorers in recent years. Here are the top 3 scorers going back a ways:
                09-10
                Butler (Sr) - 53 points
                Thompson (Jr) - 39
                Kessel (Soph) - 38
                08-09
                JvR (Soph) - 40 points
                Sislo (Soph) - 31
                Leblanc (Jr)/Butler (Jr) - 30
                07-08
                Fornataro (Sr) - 46 points
                Radja (Sr) - 43
                JvR (Fresh) - 34
                06-07
                Smith (Soph) - 43 points
                Fornataro (Jr) - 40
                Micflikier (Sr) - 38
                05-06
                Micflikier (Jr) - 42 points
                B. Hemingway (Jr) - 41
                Winnik (Jr) - 41
                04-05
                Collins (Sr) - 56 points
                Callander (Sr) - 54
                Micflikier (Soph) - 44
                03-04
                Saviano (Sr) - 49 points
                Collins (Jr) - 42
                Aikens (Jr) - 41
                As Dan said, "somehow/someway Umile and staff always generate offense..."

Comment

As far as lines 2-4 go, the all-sophomore line of Speelman-Block-Henrion was reunited on Saturday and they looked great. They had a lot of success together early in the season and have terrific chemistry. Their continued success is very important going forward, as that would create flexibility with the other two lines.
                  "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie
                    RTW- your speculation on Knodel is 180 in the wrong direction. Check around with anyone familiar with practices- or go watch yourself. Word has it that his game is more than ready. check it out.
                    I haven't said anything to the contrary.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post

Wyer, when was the last true freshman goalie at UNH to get ice time....
                      That would be Regan.
                      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Foster played 7 games as a freshman.

Comment

RECRUIT UPDATE - Week Ending Feb. 6th

Jay Camper (Chicago/USHL) - 33 GP, 8-4-12, 24 PIM

Eric Chevrier (Cushing Academy/NEPrepHC) - 23 GP, 1-9-10.

Casey DeSmith (Indiana Ice/USHL) - 23 GP, 14W-9L, 2.46 GAA, .923 SV%

Grayson Downing (Westside/BCHL) - 45 GP, 31-32-63, 22 PIM

Jamie Hill (Waterloo/USHL) - 33 GP, 5-8-13, 75 PIM

Ryan Randall (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - 32 GP, 11-13-24, 14 PIM

Kyle Smith (Jr. Bruins/EJHL) - 37 GP, 14-29-43, 8 PIM

Trevor van Riemsdyk (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - 34 GP, 13-14-27, 16 PIM

Matt Willows (Jersey Hitmen/EJHL) - 35 GP, 23-38-61, 29 PIM

Dan Correale (Grand Prairie/AJHL) - 56 GP, 22-43-65, 26 PIM

Maxim Gaudreault (Sioux City/USHL) - 35 GP, 5-6-11, 18 PIM

Casey Thrush (Muskegon/USHL) - 38 GP, 8-8-16, 14 PIM

Mike Vecchione (Malden Catholic HS/Catholic Conf.) - 14 GP, 16-22-38.

Dylan Maller (DC Capitals/North American Prospects Hockey League) - 24 GP, 1-5-6, 6 PIM

Brett Pesce (North Jersey Avalanche/Atlantic Youth Hockey League) - 16 GP, 8-16-24, 8 PIM

Tyler Kelleher (Deerfield Academy/NEPrepFounders) - 17 GP, 9-10-19.

Weekly Highlights:
                          2011 Recruit Kyle Smith scored a hat trick with 2 powerplay goals for the Jr. Bruins on Friday. Yesterday, Smith assisted on the overtime game-winning goal against the Jr. Monarchs. The Jr. Bruins are currently in second place, 4 points behind the Monarchs in the Northern Division of the EJHL.
                          2012 Recruit Mike Vecchione had 5 assists as Malden Catholic clinched the regular season title in the Catholic Conference.
                          Casey DeSmith and Matt DiGirolamo's current goals against average and save percentage are virtually identical.
                          Last edited by C-H-C; 02-07-2011, 04:52 PM.

Comment

U.S. Hockey Report has reported that Andrew Poturalski has committed to the University of New Hampshire. Poturalski is a 17-year-old (DOB-1-14-94), 5'11", 160 lbs, forward at the Nichols School, a prep school in Buffalo which is a member of the Conference of Independent Schools Athletic Association (CISAA). He is currently the leading scorer in the CISAA with 9 goals and 9 assists in 9 games. More details to come.
                            Last edited by C-H-C; 02-09-2011, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Sioux City owns his draft rights, so I am assuming he would be going there for a year inbetween high school and college, which would put him to arrive in durham in the fall of 2013.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicCat View Post
                                Sioux City owns his draft rights, so I am assuming he would be going there for a year inbetween high school and college, which would put him to arrive in durham in the fall of 2013.
                                In the May, 2010 USHL Futures Draft, Poturalski was selected in the 6th Round by the Sioux City Musketeers (the team Maxim Gaudreault plays for). The Sioux City Head Coach said "Andrew is a skilled forward who plays at a high pace."

Comment

Working...
                                X