Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits - 2011 & 2012

Originally posted by TMHUNH View Post
    They phrase it kind of whacky there, I see how you got confused. When it says "players who will turn 20 by 12/31" it is indicating those players are inclusive, not inelgible. Meaning you would have to turn 21 by 12/31 (1990 birthdates) to be too old.

Trust me on this one. If you want an example off the top of my head, since I am a Bruins fan, look at Zach Trotman who was the last pick of the draft last year by the B's. August of 90 birthdate. Proof that 91s are fair game a year later.
    So are you saying the Bruins were wise in their pick of Trotman?

Looks like he is having a good season and is a lot more than the defensive-defenceman they were picking...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveDan View Post
      Jersey Hitman play a couple games at Monarchs in Hookset this Saturday and Sunday. The two teams have but 4 losses between them in 67 games. A good chance for a look-see at several 2011 or 2012 UNH recruits.
      Thanks for the tip DaveDan. I saw the afternoon game today and it was a treat. The Jr. Monarchs won in overtime 3-2. All three UNH recruits were prominent players.

Trevor van Riemsdyk - If you haven't had an opportunity to watch the younger brother of JvR play, do yourself a favor and take in a Jr. Monarch's game - he is truly impressive. His frame and mannerisms are like a right-handed version of JvR. On a number of occasions, he carried the puck through center ice and got a shot on net. In one particular sequence, he blocked the puck with his skate on his own blue line, rushed through the neutral zone, got deep into the left circle and snapped off a quick wrister that tested the Hitmen's goalie. His wrist shot is noteworthy and accurate, even from the blueline. His powerplay goal in the second period was a wrister from the top of the slot, between the two faceoff circles.

TvR plays on the first powerplay unit and often positions himself at the point just inside the middle of the blueline (a la Kessel). He is poised with the puck (doesn't hurry), a terrific passer, and he can really fly once he hits his stride (again, a lot like JvR). That goes for back-skating as well. On one Monarchs' powerplay, two Hitmen snuck the puck out of their zone and TvR was the only Monarch back. He kept ahead of both the guys and ended up blocking a centering pass with a sprawling, leg swipe, in front of goalie Brian Billett (a BC recruit). He also logs time on the penalty kill unit. Perhaps owing to his position as a defenseman, he's not shy about banging the opponent into the boards when it's called for. To this untrained eye, TvR looks like he is clearly ready to make the move to college hockey next season.

Ryan Randall - At 6'0", 195 lbs., Randall is also a poised defenseman. On many shifts, he was paired with TvR and they both logged a lot of icetime. As a converted forward (I think last season) he reminds me of Kevin Kapstad, only bigger. Randall handles the puck well, is a good passer (13 assists in 30 games) and quick skater. He's also strong in the corners. On the power play, Randall split time with Maine recruit, Jacob Rutt, while TvR was always on the first unit.

Matt Willows - The most recent UNH recruit is Captain of the North Jersey Hitmen. In many respects, Willows is similar to a younger John Henrion. At 5'10", 185 lbs, he is sturdy and hard to bang off the puck. He looks like a natural goal scorer (again, like Henrion) with 23 goals in 35 games. He primarily plays on right wing though he took the faceoffs on the first penalty kill unit. He also is a key player on the Hitmens' first powerplay unit. During one powerplay, Willows handled the puck around the top of the faceoff circle (a la Sislo) and got off a quick slapper that tested Billett.

On this day, the Tri Town Arena was the site of a UNH Hockey reunion, of sorts. Both Coaches Umile and Borek were in attendance. JvR, together with Paul Thompson, Phil DeSimone, and Stevie Moses were in the stands cheering for the Jr. Monarchs. Also, the very tall and distinguished-looking Mr. van Riemsdyk was present along with his UNH Hockey ski hat. All in all, a good day for New Hampshire hockey.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

RECRUIT UPDATE - Week Ending Jan. 30th

Jay Camper (Chicago/USHL) - 32 GP, 8-4-12, 24 PIM

Eric Chevrier (Cushing Academy/NEPrepHC) - 21 GP, 1-9-10.

Casey DeSmith (Indiana Ice/USHL) - 22 GP, 14W-8L, 2.44 GAA, .924 SV%

Grayson Downing (Westside/BCHL) - 43 GP, 30-30-60, 22 PIM

Jamie Hill (Waterloo/USHL) - 32 GP, 5-7-12, 75 PIM

Ryan Randall (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - 30 GP, 10-13-23, 10 PIM

Kyle Smith (Jr. Bruins/EJHL) - 35 GP, 10-28-38, 8 PIM

Trevor van Riemsdyk (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - 32 GP, 13-13-26, 16 PIM

Matt Willows (Jersey Hitmen/EJHL) - 35 GP, 23-38-61, 29 PIM

Dan Correale (Grand Prairie/AJHL) - 53 GP, 22-41-63, 26 PIM

Maxim Gaudreault (Sioux City/USHL) - 33 GP, 5-6-11, 18 PIM

Casey Thrush (Muskegon/USHL) - 36 GP, 8-8-16, 14 PIM

Mike Vecchione (Malden Catholic HS/Catholic Conf.) - 11 GP, 13-16-29.

Dylan Maller (DC Capitals/North American Prospects Hockey League) - 24 GP, 1-5-6, 6 PIM

Brett Pesce (North Jersey Avalanche/Atlantic Youth Hockey League) - 16 GP, 8-16-24, 8 PIM

Tyler Kelleher (Deerfield Academy/NEPrepFounders) - 17 GP, 9-10-19.

Notice the jump in penalty minutes for Jamie Hill (from 38 minutes to 75 minutes)? Hill was involved in a "mega-brawl" which earned him a 2-game suspension. 75 penalty minutes in 32 games? Another Danny Dries?

Comment

Malden Catholic, captained by 2012 recruit Mike Vecchione, is top-rated high school hockey team in Massachusetts.

Comment

The number of incoming recruits for next year does not add up, even if Kessel leaves. Makes me more concerned about Downing still coming to Durham next year.

Comment

Originally posted by smitre View Post
              The number of incoming recruits for next year does not add up, even if Kessel leaves. Makes me more concerned about Downing still coming to Durham next year.
              I have no clue which forward recruits will enroll at UNH in the fall of 2011 but there are at least two factors which will come into play - Age (as of Sept. 2011) & Number of Years Experience in Junior Hockey.
              Jay Camper - Age: 20 yr. 5 mon.; 2 years in USHL.
              Grayson Downing - Age: 19 yr. 5 mon.; 3 years in BCHL.
              Jamie Hill - Age: 19 yr. 7 mon.; 2 years in USHL.
              Kyle Smith - Age: 19 yr. 7 mon.; 2 years in EJHL.
              Matt Willows - Age: 20 yr. 2 mon.; 2 years in EJHL.

Although Grayson Downing will be the youngest of this group in September, 2011, he is arguably the most accomplished player. He has the most experience at the junior hockey level, has participated in 2 World Junior Challenge Tournaments, and has been the most prolific scorer. It seems unlikely, given his advanced development, that UNH would ask him to play another year in junior hockey.
              Last edited by C-H-C; 02-01-2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I did not word that post well. I'm concerned about Downing showing up at Durham at all, not only next fall. That many recruits listed, especially with the recent additions, reminds me of the Matt White situation. I am not suggesting similar academic issues, but with White they clearly knew he would not be coming long before the incoming class was finalized. An extra body up front like Willows leads me to believe they could be making alternative plans. I'm hoping not, only concerned after the pattern of recruits similar to him in recent years.

Comment

I did not word that post well. I'm concerned about Downing showing up at Durham at all, not only next fall. That many recruits listed, especially with the recent additions, reminds me of the Matt White situation. I am not suggesting similar academic issues, but with White they clearly knew he would not be coming long before the incoming class was finalized. An extra body up front like Willows leads me to believe they could be making alternative plans. I'm hoping not, only concerned after the pattern of recruits similar to him in recent years.
                  I understood where you were coming from. The concern about whether Grayson Downing will suit up for the Wildcats is understandable given the decommits over the last couple of years. I listed ages and years of junior hockey in order to set the stage for a consideration of who would be the odd forward out if Downing does, in the end, come to UNH. For all we know, the commitment from Matt Willows was to enable someone like Jamie Hill or Kyle Smith to play another year in juniors. Or Willows could be an insurance policy in case one of the forwards doesn't pass the academic requirements for admission to UNH.

Comment

My intuition (take that for what its worth) says Downing comes to UNH and makes an immediate impact! He is definitely capable of centering a top scoring line next fall. I saw him play in Surrey last season and his stride and perfect positioning screamed taller Darren Haydar. Of course Cam Reid also played great that night, so I understand the concern...

He seems like he is set on college vs. Major Junior. I believe he is a strong student and I have seen him reference UNH a few times in online video (possible posted by CHC?).

I think/hope the signing of Willows might mean another year in the USHL for Jamie Hill. I have always thought he needed another year, but thought his chemistry with Kyle Smith might have trumped that need. With Willows in the fold I'd personally like to see the following forward classes...

Downing, Correale, Willows, Camper

Hill, Smith, Thrush, Gaudreault, Vecchione
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      I think/hope the signing of Willows might mean another year in the USHL for Jamie Hill. I have always thought he needed another year, but thought his chemistry with Kyle Smith might have trumped that need. With Willows in the fold I'd personally like to see the following forward classes...

Downing, Correale, Willows, Camper

Hill, Smith, Thrush, Gaudreault, Vecchione
                      I'd take that in a heartbeat! A pretty good argument could be made that Dan Correale is ready to make the jump next year.
                      Reading the stats and watching the occasional video of Downing provides a taste of how skilled he appears to be. Actually seeing him play must have been pretty neat.

Comment

If Downing was going to the dub, he'd be there already.
                        "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

I love this forum and thank all who share such great information. I have a question, I have gone to about 10 games so far, and haven't seen anything of Eric Knodel - I think that was the name of the HUGE defensemen recruit. Is he red shirted, injured or just can't get on the ice?

Next year's class has me excited and may make up for the (to-date) unimpressive group this year... but after all these years in a row losing the top recruit, Umile's work has been impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHfansince1971 View Post
                            I have a question, I have gone to about 10 games so far, and haven't seen anything of Eric Knodel - I think that was the name of the HUGE defensemen recruit. Is he red shirted, injured or just can't get on the ice?
                            Good question - I've been wondering the same thing. RockTheWhit usually has information about what's going on at ice level (in practices, etc.).

Comment

UNH has obviously been fortunate that their top 6 d-men, who had a ton of experience coming into the year, have not missed a single game. With that said, it wouldn't have been a bad idea to get Knodel some game experience (regular season or exhibition) earlier in the year, as he will be called upon in a big role the next few years. At this point, there will be 3 regular blueliners next year who haven't seen a second of college ice time. Knock on wood, the d stay healthy the rest of the year and he won't be needed to make his debut in a big game (the same can be said about the goalie situation). AFAIK, there are no plans to redshirt.
                              "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

I'm really surprised to see Knodel with zero games played at this point. At this stage, I really hope he doesnt play at all this season. If thats the case, you'll have a kid who could have skated a regular shift at CC last season - who would still have four years of eligibility left beginning next fall...

I'll feel pretty comfortable going into next season with Kostolansky, Kipp, Hardowa, Knodel, TVR and Chevrier/Randall/Agosta.

I'll be more worried about the offense without Desimone/Sislo/Thompson/Kessel. But that was my concern this year too - somehow/someway Umile and staff always generate offense...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X