Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Recruits - 2011 & 2012

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
    This is the 2011 NHL Entry Draft Rankings from thehockeywriters.com. This isn't a debate - I just want to provide accurate information.
    Ok. came up for me now.

Yeah those are the top guys. All those guys are first year eligibles, so they are on the younger end of the eligibility, the older guys that have already been passed over wouldnt go until late in the draft or at all.

For bottom line proof, lets just look at the actual draft as a reference. Here are 3 NCAA players that were picked in round 7 last year:
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=116545
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=107626
    http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=123537

Those 3 are just the first quick examples I found of players picked in their 3rd year of eligibilty. Those were all 1990 born players in the 1992 draft.

I guarantee you the rules haven't changed since last year. With proof of 1990s being picked in 2010, we can then agree on 1991s being eligible in 2011.

Comment

[/URL]
      Originally posted by TMHUNH View Post
      Ok. came up for me now.

Yeah those are the top guys. All those guys are first year eligibles, so they are on the younger end of the eligibility, the older guys that have already been passed over wouldnt go until late in the draft or at all.

For bottom line proof, lets just look at the actual draft as a reference. Here are 3 NCAA players that were picked in round 7 last year:
      http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=116545
      http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=107626
      http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=123537

Those 3 are just the first quick examples I found of players picked in their 3rd year of eligibilty. Those were all 1990 born players in the 1992 draft.

I guarantee you the rules haven't changed since last year. With proof of 1990s being picked in 2010, we can then agree on 1991s being eligible in 2011.
      For clarification, can you identify a player on 2011 Midterm Rankings who has a birthdate outside of the range I've identified? Thanks.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
        [/URL]

For clarification, can you identify a player on 2011 Midterm Rankings who has a birthdate outside of the range I've identified? Thanks.
        Nope.

There probably isn't one. Even prior to this year I cant think of anyone central scouting ranked that was in their third year of eligibility (for North Americans anyway). Central scouting doesnt typically even rank players in their 2nd year of eligibility.

Again, players that have been already passed over in the draft twice, arent considered cant miss prospects. They aren't going to be ranked by central. None of those guys I linked up would have been ranked by central last year either, but some teams still took a late flyer on them in a draft that wasn't very deep.

Edit: Nevermind...lets do this. Here is the preseason players to watch list put out by the same agency (central scouting) for the NCAA. It has a few 91s on there (including Sorkin). This should help identify it for you:
        http://centralscouting.nhl.com/link3/cs/content.nsf/0/F79324D882C9D320852577DD00567814/$FILE/NCAA%20PlayersTo%20Watch%20-%20Fall%202010.pdf
        Last edited by TMHUNH; 01-11-2011, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Nope.

There probably isn't one. Even prior to this year I cant think of anyone central scouting ranked that was in their third year of eligibility (for North Americans anyway). Central scouting doesnt typically even rank players in their 2nd year of eligibility.

Again, players that have been already passed over in the draft twice, arent considered cant miss prospects. They aren't going to be ranked by central. None of those guys I linked up would have been ranked by central last year either, but some teams still took a late flyer on them in a draft that wasn't very deep.
          OK. It would be helpful if NHL.com would post the birthday range for the 2011 Entry Draft.

Comment

Edit: Nevermind...lets do this. Here is the preseason players to watch list put out by the same agency (central scouting) for the NCAA. It has a few 91s on there (including Sorkin). This should help identify it for you:
            http://centralscouting.nhl.com/link3/cs/content.nsf/0/F79324D882C9D320852577DD00567814/$FILE/NCAA%20PlayersTo%20Watch%20-%20Fall%202010.pdf
            I see. The October version of the NHL Central Scouting list didn't include Nick Sorkin but this one clearly does. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Thanks to TMHUNH (and Ralph Baer & burgie on the RPI thread) for the clarification. Stated simply, all of the 2011 and 2012 UNH Recruits are eligible, by virtue of their birthdates, for the 2011 NHL Entry Draft (in addition to current UNH players, Sorkin, Henrion, Goumas, and Wyer).
              Last edited by C-H-C; 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Took a little trip down to Malden last night to check out the Catholic Memorial-Malden Catholic game. Other than the game starting at 6:15 with the schedule saying 5:00, and having to watch 8 year olds learn to skate for an hour, it was a great time. The building was jammed to capacity and it was a decent atmosphere. CM stuck with them for two periods and took a 2-1 lead into the third, where Malden showed their offensive firepower by reeling off 6 straight goals to win 7-3. Vecchione finished with 4 assists, while Fitzgerald had 2-1-3 and Collier picked up a few assists. They sure do create a lot of offense together. Vecchione has a very good stride and showed solid poise with the puck on his stick. I would have liked to have seen him shoot a little bit more, but he was very effective in a playmaker role.
                "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Malden Catholic's Brendan Collier (a native of Charlestown, MA) commits to Boston University.
                  Last edited by C-H-C; 01-14-2011, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Darren Yopyk, former Merrimack College associate head coach and current head coach of Merrimack's Farm Team (also known as the Westside Warriors of the British Columbia Hockey League) announced that the fourth player on his squad has committed to Merrimack. They will join their former Westside teammate, Merrimack freshman Brendan Ellis.
                    It's a good thing Grayson Downing committed to UNH in July 2008, before he joined Westside.
                    Last edited by C-H-C; 01-14-2011, 09:36 AM.

Comment

My teenage son and I drove up the road to take in the Cushing Academy at Deerfield Academy game. While my feet may not thaw out for a couple of days, we enjoyed the prep school action. Cushing won 3-2 with a goal in the last minute. Overall impression is the boys like to skate up and down the ice without much backchecking and they like to throw their bodies at each other.

The best two-way player on the ice was 2014 recruit Tyler Kelleher. He's a 5'6'', 153 lbs spark plug who just turned 16. He plays the off-wing - right-hander on the left wing - and is on the first powerplay and penalty kill units. He's so young it's impossible to tell how he will grow but right now he's built like Peter Leblanc with the speed (almost) and stride of Stevie Moses. Some of the bigger Cushing guys tried to push him around and he gave it back as good as he got it. It was hard to keep track of the scoring without any announcements but he definitely had 1 assist. He passes the puck well and has a quick shot. He's only a freshman and his hometown is Longmeadow - 20 minutes or so from the Deerfield campus. Who knows if he will stay at Deerfield for 4 years or leaves early for juniors. Either way, he will be an exciting player to watch when he makes it to the Whitt.

2011 recruit Eric Chevrier is Cushing's captain and a solid defenseman. He appears to have developed into more of a defensive defenseman. He plays on the penalty kill unit but not on the powerplay. Chevrier just turned 18 and at 5'10'' and 180 lbs., he looks like he's grown as much as he's going to. He was most noticable as a guy who liked to throw body checks.

A player to keep an eye on is Cushing forward Robbie Baillargeon, a 6'0", 175 lbs, lanky sophomore. He is Cushing's leading scorer with 13 goals and 22 assists in 15 games. He plays center and plays a bit like Jeff Silengo. He's very good in the high slot and around the top of the faceoff circle and handles the puck well through center ice. While he doesn't have blinding speed, he's fast.

What an enjoyable evening. One period I happened to be standing next to a guy who introduced himself as Dartmouth assistant coach Dave Peters - talking about current and past UNH and Dartmouth players and current and potential recruits. During the final period, a guy who happened to be the father of one of the Cushing players stood next to my son and I and we chatted about prep and college hockey. His son used to play with Eric Chevrier on the Toronto Marlies and he was down to watch his son for the weekend. To top it off, his son scored the winning goal.
                      Last edited by C-H-C; 01-14-2011, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Wow, 3 HE recruits on the same line: Fitzgerald (BC) Vecchione (UNH) and now Collier. Lancers (Blue Blades?) are a powerhouse this year.
                        Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Newest 2011 recruit, defenseman Ryan Randall , scored a hat trick, including 2 powerplay goals, for the Manchester Monarchs.

Comment

C-H-C - you probably already know this, but if you get a chance take in a game at Berkshire's new facility - $45M twin rink athletic center. Nicest rink I have been in. You can watch the game from the lounge area, with fireplace, to keep warm. Thanks for the info on the prep game - always enjoy watching those games.

Comment

RECRUIT UPDATE - Week Ending Jan. 16th

Jay Camper (Chicago/USHL) - 28 GP, 7-3-10, 24 PIM

Eric Chevrier (Cushing Academy/NEPrepHC) - 16 GP, 1-9-10.

Casey DeSmith (Indiana Ice/USHL) - 19 GP, 12W-7L, 2.26 GAA, .930 SV%

Grayson Downing (Westside/BCHL) - 37 GP, 26-23-49, 18 PIM

Jamie Hill (Waterloo/USHL) - 30 GP, 5-6-11, 38 PIM

Ryan Randall (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - 28 GP, 10-13-23, 8 PIM

Kyle Smith (Jr. Bruins/EJHL) - 31 GP, 10-25-35, 8 PIM

Trevor van Riemsdyk (NH Jr. Monarchs/EJHL) - 29 GP, 12-13-25, 14 PIM

Dan Correale (Grand Prairie/AJHL) - 46 GP, 19-37-56, 24 PIM

Maxim Gaudreault (Sioux City/USHL) - 28 GP, 5-5-10, 14 PIM

Casey Thrush (Muskegon/USHL) - 31 GP, 7-6-13, 14 PIM

Mike Vecchione (Malden Catholic HS/Catholic Conf.) - 8 GP, 10-13-23.

Dylan Maller (DC Capitals/North American Prospects Hockey League) - 18 GP, 1-3-4, 6 PIM

Brett Pesce (North Jersey Avalanche/Atlantic Youth Hockey League) - 13 GP, 8-12-20, 8 PIM

Tyler Kelleher (Deerfield Academy/NEPrepFounders) - 13 GP, 8-6-14.

6 Recruits are averaging at least 1 Point per Game:
                              Mike Vecchione 2.9 PpG
                              Brett Pesce 1.5 PpG
                              Grayson Downing 1.3 PpG
                              Dan Correale 1.2 PpG
                              Kyle Smith 1.1 PpG
                              Tyler Kelleher 1.1 PpG

Comment

19-year-old Matt Willows (7/7/91) commits to UNH for the fall of 2011. As captain of the New Jersey Hitmen, Willows is currently the leading scorer in the Eastern Junior Hockey League with 29 goals and 29 assists in 31 games.
                                Last edited by C-H-C; 01-22-2011, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X